Senior Jack Payne (2017-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Former club: Lions Academy / Noosa
Height: 197cm
Weight: 96kg
Position: Defender

Strong big-bodied tall defender who matches up well on the opposition's tall forwards. Had an excellent NAB AFL Academy series for the Brisbane Lions and played two matches for the Allies in Division One of the NAB AFL U18 Championships.

Steve Conole, Recruiting Manager, says:

“Jack’s a boy from the Sunshine Coast. He’s done his Year 12 this year, so he’s had quite a few commitments outside of footy. He’s a big-bodied defender. Potentially going forward he’ll be able to play on really big, strong forwards. He’s very quick and super competitive. He played some really nice footy in our NEAFL team last year. His finals series was really good. We’re hoping he’ll continue that transition from NEAFL and become an AFL player in future years.”

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2017-11-24/pick-no-jack-payne

Last edited:

Was so excited when Lukey Power read his name out. Excellent young talent - also heard from numerous sources that he's as kind and humble as they come.

Strikes me as a slower, tankier Harris Andrews, they'l complement each other well!

Prefer my defenders mean and nasty tbh

Does look like a talent though

Some of the nicest blokes off field are absolute monsters on it. Its the white line effect.

And I take back my comment on him being slower, just rewatched his highlights and damn. Damn.

He's quicker than Harris and has the body to take the monster forwards.

Yeah I went a bit early on that previous post.

Andrews and Payne as our two key defenders...Or Skinner playing Andrews role and Andrew being the roaming third tall down back for the next 10+ years is just...salivating. And we have the likes of Connor, Walker and McStay as other options.

Was so excited when Lukey Power read his name out. Excellent young talent - also heard from numerous sources that he's as kind and humble as they come.
I think Luke (like the rest of us) had an "oh crap, is this the right player?!" moment with the "Parker-Payne" call.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm very impressed with his highlights, but why is it that he was taken so low if he's that good a prospect?
Lock down defenders are not rated that highly any more.

I'm very impressed with his highlights, but why is it that he was taken so low if he's that good a prospect?

Strong year for key backs. About 5 taken ahead of him so other teams in need of a key back were already sorted.

I can only suspect no other clubs were THAT interested in trying to get him off us?

I found the underrating of Ballenden and Payne quite interesting this year. Most discussion on Ballenden didn't mention his work in the neafl or if mentioned was more brushed over. I get pundits don't rate the AFL compared to other leagues but both were performing well against guys with AFL games under their belts. You don't do that without talent.

I feel both our academy talls will go down the Harris Andrews path of not being rated highly only to lay the smackdown once they arrive in an AFL system.

I found the underrating of Ballenden and Payne quite interesting this year. Most discussion on Ballenden didn't mention his work in the neafl or if mentioned was more brushed over. I get pundits don't rate the AFL compared to other leagues but both were performing well against guys with AFL games under their belts. You don't do that without talent.

I feel both our academy talls will go down the Harris Andrews path of not being rated highly only to lay the smackdown once they arrive in an AFL system.
May it continue in future drafts.

Going by his body shape was he poached from union/league? Strikes me as a Mal Michael type defender
He was involved in field (throwing) events - I believe he was a nationally ranked junior discus thrower?

Jack PAYNE
2017 NEAFL (Brisbane Lions)

Totals
  • 6 games
  • 0 goals
  • 0 behinds
  • 0 times in best players list

Averages
  • 5.5 kicks
  • 2.7 handballs
  • 8.2 disposals
  • 2.2 marks