Recommitted Jack Lukosius [Signed until 2026]

Remove this Banner Ad

Not willing to write off the forward line Lukosius yet.

Would have trained all summer expecting to play alongside King and then Causbolt ends up playing in that spot instead. Might take a bit of time to build that understanding. Will see where it stands in round 6.

If Lukosius can't make it as a KPF then I'm not interested. His actual performance as a half back is nowhere near good enough to justify the trade value and salary that his reputation would command.

If the Suns were (unlikely) to accept your 2nd round pick this season, it's defintley worth a punt for all of Lukosius' flaws and inconsistency

Mind you, I have no faith in Ken turning his career around, but I am 95 % sure he won't be coaching PAFC next season.

I feel like people who are saying they didn’t rate Luko in the backline barely watched him. Was one of the highest meters gained players in the comp and more often than not was hitting kicks that not many other people could.

And now we desperately need to partner for King so he’s going forward and managed to kick 2 goals on the weekend despite getting burnt multiple times when he was free inside 50, to kick it to a pack, which probably cost us the game.

I’ve got no doubt if he has the full season there, he’s going to have games where he kicks a few bags.

I think luko was an very good hbf.

But what is a very good hbf worth? Ports got them coming out the wazoo and if we asked what any fan on bigfooty would pay up to nab any of them it would be pretty low.

As a kf I hope he makes it. There’s enough there for him to become some sort of lead up chf, I can’t see him becoming a number 1 kf (tho not every kf on a list needs to be and there’s always roles for other types of kfs)

The cost of what gcs would want for him concerns me. They would still want a team to pay based on pre-draft hype rather than what he is now, which is a pretty decent player.

I feel like people who are saying they didn’t rate Luko in the backline barely watched him. Was one of the highest meters gained players in the comp and more often than not was hitting kicks that not many other people could.

And now we desperately need to partner for King so he’s going forward and managed to kick 2 goals on the weekend despite getting burnt multiple times when he was free inside 50, to kick it to a pack, which probably cost us the game.

I’ve got no doubt if he has the full season there, he’s going to have games where he kicks a few bags.
I watched him plenty. For every one of those 'kicks that no many other people could', there was a clanger which did more to hurt his own side than the opposition.

I rate his potential as a forward. As a defender, he's not a bad player but he wouldn't be anywhere worth the trade capital and salary that it would require to get him over.

Not sure Luko would be interested to go to Crows or Port after weekend games :p Just kidding. Take it easy.

Luko scored 2 goals against Melbourne despite being ignored 4-5 times by teammates. He could have scored probably 4 goals if teammates lowered eyes. He found free space often. It would not surprise me if he scores 40 goals this year.

No doubt Suns need to figure out how to put the ball into his hands more as Dew also mentioned after the game. His inside 50 deliveries are great. More on the wing, outside arcs even run back as he did in the last quarter a couple of times. Work in progress as expected with only 2nd game forward after interrupted pre-season and new forward line-up. Least of my worries.

Terrible inside50 deliveries and not converting opportunities was main issue for Suns against Demons.

Last edited:
He's got more than a bit of Jack Watts about him. The skilled bits, Watts was one of the best kicks in the league for a long time, but also the physical weakness and inability to impose himself consistently on games. What Luko has in his favour is that he does seem to be willing to put his body in harms way, which Watts never did.

Suns need to turn Luko back into what he was doing last year.

Nick Blakey has been given that role for the swans this season and he’s on track for an all Australian selection.

Suns need to turn Luko back into what he was doing last year.

Nick Blakey has been given that role for the swans this season and he’s on track for an all Australian selection.
A gun key forward is the rarest commodity in football. A half back is the easiest to find commodity in football. Not only should Luko stay in the forward line from now on, he never should have left.

A gun key forward is the rarest commodity in football. A half back is the easiest to find commodity in football. Not only should Luko stay in the forward line from now on, he never should have left.
Maybe the case, but the forward entries we are currently delivering are wasting his talents. He should be the one delivering the ball onto the chest of our leading forwards rather than competing with Chol & Casboult for a contested mark every time.

No surprises we scored goals from his inside 50's.

Short term pain, long term gain but will Dew be here for that?

Maybe the case, but the forward entries we are currently delivering are wasting his talents. He should be the one delivering the ball onto the chest of our leading forwards rather than competing with Chol & Casboult for a contested mark every time.

No surprises we scored goals from his inside 50's.

Short term pain, long term gain but will Dew be here for that?
He can deliver from wing/CHF. I thought Suns played Luko much better against GWS but then the whole team did not bring the intensity/contest. Have him run on the wing, around arc delivering, yes sometimes go back/forward. It's more to do with how team plays and utilize Luko. Against Demons, Luko was 4-5 times in great position i50 only to be overlooked. Work in progress but for me definitely Luko to play more up the ground than back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see luko as a number 2/3 kf who plays the chf role and leads up the ground. Think in time he will be very good in that role, but not be the number 1 goal kicking / focal point kf (and he doesn’t have to be, there’s need for more than just 1 kf position in teams)

My concern is if he wants to come to port is that based on pre draft hype, the fact gcs might want to make a statement, and that port fold at the trade table to want to be seen as an easy club to deal with means that gcs will ask for too much.

We’ve got Georgiades and Marshall and there’s a haul of kfs in this draft, players that fit Georgiades and Marshall much better (tall 2nd ruck types like keeler and Scully for example).

I would be stoked to land luko if he wanted in but cost to fit with what we have ratio might be excessive.

Another 3 goal assists for Jack.
Equal second in league behind Hawkins.

Should have kicked 2 goals really. High snap from 15m out directly in front to avoid a smother floated wide, missed a gimme on the run from 35.

When he has the ball within 80m of goal - good stuff happens.

14 touch, 5 mark, 5 tackles, 3 goal assist game is decent.

Add 2 goals and I’m very happy with that.
That’s the kind of games we’ll see from him.

Should have kicked 2 goals really. High snap from 15m out directly in front to avoid a smother floated wide, missed a gimme on the run from 35.

Except for the two misses apparently ;)

People are also very impatient and for what ever reason don't allow players who were junior kpf but for team needs spend their starting years in defence a chance to build continuity as a fwd.

It's like you got 2 weeks and if they don't light the house on fire spud.

Another 3 goal assists for Jack.
Equal second in league behind Hawkins.

14 touch, 5 mark, 5 tackles, 3 goal assist game is decent.

Add 2 goals and I’m very happy with that.
That’s the kind of games we’ll see from him.
I am confident we will see better games from Luko regularly as the team is still learning how to use him properly forward. Again teammates ignored him on multiple occasions. Still work in progress but I would say his role in Blues game was the one I would like to see him playing a long-term.

A bit surprised but Luko showed urgency, was quite physical and tackled well.

Absolute sitters those 2 missed shots. Hard to believe that Luko can miss them with his kick.

Delivery to Rosas for his first goal was special.

Last edited:

It’s not that he hasn’t played well it’s that he was touted as a generational Centre Half forward talent and hasn’t lived up to that so far. I don’t rate picking defenders in the first 15 or so, let alone pick 2.

It’s not that he hasn’t played well it’s that he was touted as a generational Centre Half forward talent and hasn’t lived up to that so far. I don’t rate picking defenders in the first 15 or so, let alone pick 2.
He’s also 21 and played in a pretty poor team to date.

I certainly get the feeling that as he matures he could dominate in a good team ,but given his style of play he’s less likely to wrestle a game onto his own terms in a poor team.

Guess that is a reflection of his ceiling to some degree.

Think he is still going to be a very influential player over his career.

Just reminds so much of a watts but not in the spotlight

Lucky he isn’t in Melbourne

Watts should’ve always been a quarter back type player. Was a point guard in basketball and the quarterback type role Salem played would’ve suited Watts. Still, this is also a role that isn’t implemented that well in weaker sides where there is less flow, and more focus on individual efforts (where everyone is chasing a kick for the sake of getting a kick). Jack Watts was a good footballer played out of position.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back