Its all happening at Glenorchy

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah was preety much packed the whole night from what I could see. Was just over 100 people there I reckon although the under 13s were training there before. BBQ was $1 a sasuage too and most people had 2-3 so a good night for the GDFCs finances.

Might earn enough to cover Aker flying in for training......

For 1 night

Next Wednesday Glenorchy are having a intra-club match @........................Goodwood Primary School! ahahhah:D

Aker in todays mercury going by the paper ''offered'' him to play along side him with Glenorchy. Would never happen but bloody hell it would massive with both of them playing. I think Clarence or North Hobart should have a crack if they have the support financially .

Who knows? I dont think anyone really thought they were going to pull of Akermanis and they did.. If Fev is looking for a stable environment to play a few games of footy this year before trying to get back into the AFL in 2012, why wouldn't Glenorchy be an option?. At least with them he wont be the only star in town...

Nice to see Aker say some really nice things about Glenorchy. They must be doing a good job with him.. Also Saw they were advertising a couple of new jobs in the paper on the weekend as well - Makes a bit of a mockey of Wade's comments about them being a club not sure where its going!

Lookes like they're really going to go for him going by the paper this morning. Steve Allie thinks its a 60-40 chance. Reckons that Aker would be able to get him to play for basicly nothing.

Would create a super team if it happened.

Lookes like they're really going to go for him going by the paper this morning. Steve Allie thinks its a 60-40 chance. Reckons that Aker would be able to get him to play for basicly nothing.

Would create a super team if it happened.

Maybe they could get Fev to piss on a copy of the Salary Cap. Would be about its' only worth. A mockey enough already without something like this.

Did Aker stay @ a hotel as ive been hearing or did he rough it out in a tent like the rest of the boys?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been reading that should Glenorchy sign him, they'd be hoping to get him at a severely reduced wage, which would probably mean they'd hope he pays for basically peanuts.

I remember reading somewhere that Aker was getting part payment outside the cap, which was AFL Tasmania Approved I could have misread, but was this the change AFL Tasmania brought in to bring down star players?

Still I think Fevola is way out of the Glenorchy reach at the moment with what they've signed already, unless Aker is donating to the cause...If he was to play down here I'd expect another side to sign him.

I've been reading that should Glenorchy sign him, they'd be hoping to get him at a severely reduced wage, which would probably mean they'd hope he pays for basically peanuts.

I remember reading somewhere that Aker was getting part payment outside the cap, which was AFL Tasmania Approved I could have misread, but was this the change AFL Tasmania brought in to bring down star players?

Still I think Fevola is way out of the Glenorchy reach at the moment with what they've signed already, unless Aker is donating to the cause...If he was to play down here I'd expect another side to sign him.

Allie was on Win News on Tuesday night saying that they were not going to apply for another dispensation from the salary cap to go after Fevola. Young from AFL Tasmania in the paper today saying they would not grant another dispensation any way.

Seems GDFC/Akermanis are working off the theory that Fevola doesn’t need to play for money after his pay out, but is needing a stable, low-key environment to play his footy this year.

Can you imagine the media circus in Melbourne if he played in the VFL? Maybe Tassie would appeal.

Who knows? I dont think anyone really thought they were going to pull of Akermanis and they did.. If Fev is looking for a stable environment to play a few games of footy this year before trying to get back into the AFL in 2012, why wouldn't Glenorchy be an option?. At least with them he wont be the only star in town...

Nice to see Aker say some really nice things about Glenorchy. They must be doing a good job with him.. Also Saw they were advertising a couple of new jobs in the paper on the weekend as well - Makes a bit of a mockey of Wade's comments about them being a club not sure where its going!

I just hope its not a case of the Pies going down the same path as North Hobart and Hobart in the late80s/early90s; spending their way into short term on-field success and future trouble staying afloat.
AFL Tasmania apparently did go over the club's finances before granting the Aker salary cap extension, but can AFL Tasmania be trusted to do things right? Hopefully the club can afford it and all will be good.

Is a "marquee player" system, similar to the A-League's, an option? Allow the wealthy clubs one player partially outside the cap, if that player is likely to bring a few more people to the footy. The problem is, only Gelnorchy and Clarence might be in a position to do so, further entrenching (what appears from this distance to be) the on-field gap in standard.

I just hope its not a case of the Pies going down the same path as North Hobart and Hobart in the late80s/early90s; spending their way into short term on-field success and future trouble staying afloat.
AFL Tasmania apparently did go over the club's finances before granting the Aker salary cap extension, but can AFL Tasmania be trusted to do things right? Hopefully the club can afford it and all will be good.

Is a "marquee player" system, similar to the A-League's, an option? Allow the wealthy clubs one player partially outside the cap, if that player is likely to bring a few more people to the footy. The problem is, only Gelnorchy and Clarence might be in a position to do so, further entrenching (what appears from this distance to be) the on-field gap in standard.

After a good Xmas break its been interesting to see whats been happening around the traps. Good luck to Glenorchy with Aker, Fev is in the mix (maybe?). But I think other clubs will make their mark this season too. Burnie made the early running with named signings. Watch out for Launceston is my mail. Dont worry about North Hobart, they may have some good news very soon about an onballer & a ruckman (so I'm told, & I pray:p). I do worry about Hobart & Devonport in particular. I read last year that AFLTas praised Hobarts financial position, Yet I was told they lost a heap of money last season (any comment on that?) South Launy & Lauderdale will battle on I'm sure. I do like the both of them, they struggle but show a lot of pride & effort. Clarence? I'm told they have lost a few, but we know they will be busy behind the scenes. I guess we dont want too much of a inbalance in the competition but some clubs have clearly shot themselves in the foot. Also I dont think Clarence, or Glenorchy will have it all there own way.

GDFC's financials are all contained in their annual report. The Club appears to be in a very healthy financial position with something like 400k in the bank and carrying no debt. That Clubroom of theirs must be a gold mine.

Recruiting a player like Akermanis is an investment. If that round 1 game against Clarence does, as expected, pull a crowd in the order of 6-7k, than that's probably 5,000 or so extra people paying admission and buying grog, which all goes directly into the Club's pockets. The financial risk is that the crowds will obviously drop off throughout the season, but you would bank on Aker sustaining at least a reasonable level of interest if he plays to anywhere near his ability. If they get Fev thrown in for a couple of games, than its going to be huge for the club.

What Glenorchy is trying to do is get people through the gate. Aker's impact on the playing side of things will be just an added bonus.

This is nothing like the irresponsible things North Hobart and Hobart (and Glenorchy) did in the late 80s that sent all the club's bust by trying to buy premierships.

And you reckon, being just an hour from Melbourne, there wouldn't be a media circus at KGV if Fev played there?!

appears glenorchy might have missed out on fev. in todays herald sun it says fev will most likely play with coburg, bendigo or casey in a bid to restart his career next year. looks like essendon, saints or richmond in the running.

appears glenorchy might have missed out on fev. in todays herald sun it says fev will most likely play with coburg, bendigo or casey in a bid to restart his career next year. looks like essendon, saints or richmond in the running.

They don't need Fev. Watched them on Friday night out at Claremont and they looked ok.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back