GWS
Israel Folau
art-353-israel-folau-300x0.jpg

Height: 193cm
Weight: 101kg
D/O/B: 3/4/1989
Position: Defender

Izzy Signs with GWS

Folau, 21, was welcomed to the club by GWS chief executive Dale Holmes and inaugural coach Kevin Sheedy in front of a packed press conference at Blacktown, on a deal which was expected to be above $1 million a season.

"Israel is a western Sydney boy and he's someone who is going to play a great role for us, not only as a player, but also in playing our game ... and ultimately bringing fans to our club as well," Holmes said.

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/greater-western-sydney-sign-nrl-star-israel-folau-for-four-afl-seasons/story-e6frf3e3-1225920791103#ixzz2UYxshCe9

Izzy Quits GWS

Although he had minimal on-field impact, securing Folau was a marketing coup for the AFL and their latest expansion team.

Giants chief executive David Matthews said the club supported the decision. He wished Folau all the best for the future saying he would a “friend of the Giants forever”.
He described Folau’s first season as containing “significant achievements’, saying he was part of the team’s first win against the Gold Coast Suns, and showed his best form in his final game, a loss to North Melbourne in round 23.

Read more:http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/folau-quits-afl-eels-lie-in-wait-20121101-28m3m.html#ixzz2UYyQGzJT

Last edited:
The sad irony is he would have played a lot of games this season! Would be better option than Tomlinson as backup FF/Ruck.

(Tomlinson is great around the ground, but wasted as a FF/Ruck)

I don't think Izzy felt like he picked up the game enough to warrant himself staying. It would have been hard trying to learn a game from scratch, even with his athletic ability. If he had 50 games behind him he could have been our answer to Nic Nat.

He's killing it in union though which is much more suited to his rugby league background.

I don't think Izzy felt like he picked up the game enough to warrant himself staying. It would have been hard trying to learn a game from scratch, even with his athletic ability. If he had 50 games behind him he could have been our answer to Nic Nat.

He's killing it in union though which is much more suited to his rugby league background.

Problem with Izzy is he simply can't deal with a 360 degree game (which is fair enough, its probably the hardest thing to deal with). More suited to a 90 degree game in (both) rugby(s). He is also too lazy off the ball, which is probably something drilled into him to be in rugby where you can rest off the ball and get involved in the play only when you obviously need to i.e. 5th tackle situations.

Still, would have been good to give him 1 more year (only if we had known Patton was going to sit out 2013).

If only.

He is such a freak athlete and could've been our version of NN.

At least he still has the brownlow/Coleman medals on afl
Live for me

Remove this Banner Ad

Back