Opinion Is this rock bottom?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rock bottom? How long is it since we have been a powerhouse in the league? We have not done anything to set the world on fire for over 20 years. Remember the 90s. What a powerhouse team. A joy to watch. Since then what? Not much. Same s**t every year. Making up the numbers. The club has become a total basket case. How do we rectify this. I don't think the club can. Mistake after mistake. Maybe relocate to Tassie. Get the support of the AFL. Get top draft picks. Maybe we could start attracting high profile players. Remember South Melbourne and Fitzroy? We are no better than those two clubs. Maybe it IS time to consider relocating to Tassie and becoming a destination club again. This rubbish we dish up year after year has to stop. If anyone has got better ideas I am all ears.

You's prolly need to get ****ed

Is this rock bottom? Yeah, nah. You kids don't know what is was like to be a North supporter in the 60s. At least we hd the best music ever to distract us I suppose.
Still can listen to that music now though, so thats a plus

Rock bottom was the last month of 2020.

We started that season full of hope, two good wins, only percentage off top spot. And then the wheels fell off in a way that still doesn't seem real.

By the end of it, they just didn't want to be there. Internal s**t all over the place, playing to a few hundred people each week, the coach was about to go to hospital, a quarter of the list and a bunch of other staff were about to get the arse and that's a group that will never think of a Gold Coast resort in a nice way again. There was literally nothing positive about it at all.

We now have a good bunch of young players coming through now, and that's good to watch. JHF, Phillips, Powell, Perez, Larkey, Taylor, Curtis, LDU, etc - some more advanced than others, some who I wish were playing in the seniors more than they do, but at least there are green shoots now.

hannah-tyreman-progress-is-messy-3.jpg

Been following North for over 45 years and been to about 95% of games since the early 80’s when I was allowed to go out on my own/friends. This is easily the worst team in my time, easily. And it will get worse I reckon. We lack good leadership and lack a decent senior core that is able to hold the fort somewhat in these tough times. Ziebel, Goldy, Cunnington, Turner, Hall, Simpkin, Anderson etc for a variety of reasons are simply not up to standard, they’re old, past used by date, inconsistent or just plain bog average. I feel sorry the youngsters especially our recent high draft picks who will feel the burden and carry the load for the next few years. They have very little senior support, no one to look up to, to admire and rely on. This unfortunately may hinder their long term development and put us in a vicious cycle of shitness. I bloody hope not. Or it may hopefully ‘toughen them up’. Just depends on their individual mentality and the coaching support they receive I suppose.
I’ve braced myself for a few years of pain, misery and copping s**t but will still continue to go to games, buy memberships, support the boys etc. Pointless getting too worked up now. There’s far more stress involved when you’re a premiership contender, every game, every decision counts. Hopefully when the likes of LDU, Phillips, Powell, JHF, Larkey, Zurhaar, Xerri, Taylor, McKay, Thomas reach 100+ games together and become the senior core, then we’ll hopefully see the light at the end of the tunnel. Until then we just gotta cop it sweet.

So if rock bottom is Nobles trying to make Powell an outside mid and him being very pissed off. Is that rock bottom ? If so we've arrived.
Powell is a ball pig and should be played as such. What’s the point of him playing inside mid in the 2s if they want to develop him as an outside mid?

So if rock bottom is Nobles trying to make Powell an outside mid and him being very pissed off. Is that rock bottom ? If so we've arrived.
This is as evident as the sky is blue
Jy knows it too.

Powell has the potential to be a better, cleaner and more efficient inside midfielder then Jy and LDU.

Kids today certainly have fair sized gonads.
Guys that can play and have confidence in their ability certainly do. And so they should.

There will be at least 10 other clubs interested in Powell as an inside mid and they will have have been in constant contact with his agent once they saw what was transpiring at Arden St this year in regards to Tom's career development - pity Nobes can't see it.

This is as evident as the sky is blue
Jy knows it too
Perhaps Jy should go out on the outside and swap with him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guys that can play and have confidence in their ability certainly do. And so they should.

There will be at least 10 other clubs interested in Powell as an inside mid and they will have have been in constant contact with his agent once they saw what was transpiring at Arden St this year in regards to Tom's career development - pity Nobes can't see it.
Fantastic and I think he should be played inside. But if he’s cracking the shits he needs a wake up call. Seems like a few on the list aren’t happy with playing outside their idea of their role

Perhaps Jy should go out on the outside and swap with him
I’ll go on record and state unequivocally that I’d rather Powell in the middle over Simpkin for the fact one can handball, kick and gain a clearance cleaner than the other.

Like everything I’m sure there’s reasons for players playing where they have been, perhaps it’s development? , Powell is still very slight perhaps it’s protection.

I’m disappointed if players are cracking the sads.

heck being a coach

I’ll go on record and state unequivocally that I’d rather Powell in the middle over Simpkin for the fact one can handball, kick and gain a clearance cleaner than the other.
I think it suits both players to be honest

Fantastic and I think he should be played inside. But if he’s cracking the shits he needs a wake up call. Seems like a few on the list aren’t happy with playing outside their idea of their role
He can say what he wants but what did he deliver? He went out on a Sunday night in Frankston and worked his butt off - dominated his position in a losing team and showed why he should be playing in the position we drafted him to play.

With GoKanga's here. You young'un's weren't there in the 60's through to '72.

That was rock bottom. We got alot more talent now than we had then.

Wheel will turn. Need to find some patience in a world of instant gratification.
It hasn’t exactly been instant gratification though 20
pus, 21 pus then a sniff of improvement then pus, 22 pus.

The problem is the glimmers of hope seem to be decreasing

He can say what he wants but what did he deliver? He went out on a Sunday night in Frankston and worked his butt off - dominated his position in a losing team and showed why he should be playing in the position we drafted him to play.
And that’s great . He played well and I’d play him there but for whatever reason he has been played outside, again there could be multiple reasons for this and sometimes a player will be asked to play a role that is not in their comfort zone. Rumours of two players thus far being disgruntled is alarming.

For what it’s worth I’d say playing outside is to develop his game. Very few players are at every single bounce and with more mids than mid spots versatility is desirable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back