Opinion Is the stand rule stopping you from going to games ? (poll)

Is the stand rule stopping you from going to games ?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Did the man on mark move when Lynch had a shot in the final
Nah. The ump called play on and Andrews ran off the mark. Mind you Andrews not looking at the ump and he's in a body position ready to run. That put us ahead 3 points with 2 minutes to play. I minute left and a kick from 40m. 3 Richmond defenders and Nank goes to punch the ball across their goal line for a behind. Daniher collects and goals. a minute left..

No Oscar no probs for them Neale had a blinder. 15 clearances. Nank is good in that regard.9.. Prestia had 6 in 40% game time.

so no win with no Prestia, out of form Martin was a bit of a gamble. Sonz, . Gibcus wasn't great. We wouldn't have got far anyhow

Nah. The ump called play on and Andrews ran off the mark. Mind you Andrews not looking at the ump and he's in a body position ready to run. That put us ahead 3 points with 2 minutes to play. I minute left and a kick from 40m. 3 Richmond defenders and Nank goes to punch the ball across their goal line for a behind. Daniher collects and goals. a minute left..

No Oscar no probs for them Neale had a blinder. 15 clearances. Nank is good in that regard.9.. Prestia had 6 in 40% game time.

so no win with no Prestia, out of form Martin was a bit of a gamble. Sonz, . Gibcus wasn't great. We wouldn't have got far anyhow
Had gastro

Did the man on mark move when Lynch had a shot in the final

Lynch didn't go off his line why did ump call play on

the smartest thing the afl could do is just abolish the stand rule immediately

will get 100% of rfc fans back at the footy

they've thrown all their eggs in the carltoon/ druggies soft draw baskets in hope they make the 8

well only 2 clubs have ever broken 60k average home attendance in the history of the vfl/afl and thats us and colonwood

it would be a shame if you bit the hand that feeds you, afl

The ump has his eye on the player on the mark, making sure he does not move one step. The player with the ball always has a second or two, sometimes more before the ump realises he is off by the time he calls him play on and often due to crowd noise the marker can't always here this, the player has 5-20m head start. Players can run 20m in 3 seconds, so that is a huge advantage and that is even if the player with the ball is over his mark to start with, which is often not the case. Watch MacIntosh, he never is and does this every play.

The player on the mark for an out the full or deliberate has to stand with his foot on the boundary line, why? The kicker is always inside the field of play so there's 5m before anything happens. Before the rule that man on the mark would be in a straight line between the player and the goals. Another disadvantage.

As I have said, if the player on the mark was able to move a couple of metres either way then all this wouldn't take place. It would take the pressure off the ump, would not 'hurt the game,' the reason it was brought in and would be so much fairer. If the player moved more then a 50m is the players own fault not some instant reflex action which the ball carriers are faking to milk the 50.. Why has this never been discussed when it seems so obvious.

He can't watch two players at once, eyes for the man on the mark only, that way he gets to run backwards 50m and wave his little finger tut tut.

Sorry, but I don't agree - one umpire can do it and it is about umpire mechanics. I realise umpiring basketball is a closer viewed game, but if an umpire does not have 20 / 20 vision like is used to referee basketball, get the hell out. Also, there are three, soon to be four effing umpires - get it sorted guys! If they can't do it then don't do it!

Last edited:
Sorry, but I don't agree - one umpire can do it and it is about umpire mechanics. I realise umpiring basketball is a closer viewed game, but if an umpire does not gave 20 / 20 vision like is used to referee basketball, get the hell out. Also, there are three, soon to be four effing umpires - get it sorted guys! If they can't do it then don't do it!
But the whole thing is not that organised. 80% of the time when the player with the ball they are not in the straight line towards the goal with the player in the mark in that line also. When kicking for goal they are, but even then players get to run around and get 5-10m closer than they normally would, and that is with umpires vigilantly watching, even both players as you say.

When the player is out wide, the ump can be 40m away and is in no position nor usually has the time because that player might be looking to play on when he gets an option. Yet the player on the mark is stationary. I don't think I've ever seen MacIntosh in that straight line, he always creeps around and if the ump blows play on he is a good 3 or 4 strides into his action and will always make 10-20m on his man. Not really a co-incidence that he is playing his best ever football, he is milking the rule and is now a 60m+ player every time he gets the ball.

The rule is impossible to administer without giving a great advantage to the ball player, not to mention the 50m penalties for taking one half step sideways.

Sorry, but I don't agree - one umpire can do it and it is about umpire mechanics. I realise umpiring basketball is a closer viewed game, but if an umpire does not have 20 / 20 vision like is used to referee basketball, get the hell out. Also, there are three, soon to be four effing umpires - get it sorted guys! If they can't do it then don't do it!

Not suggesting it's easy, it's a crap rule, but it is not made any easier by the umpires focusing solely on the player on the mark and just yelling Stand. The further away the better the 20 / 20 vision to see both players. Be interesting to see what this 4th umpire will cause/effect change to the umpire mechanics.

Gill has been determined to turn Aussie rules into basketball for years, more goals while hampering any sort of defense means it must be better:rolleyes:
Soccer...especially on the WORLD STAGE...does not care about making more goal scores...everyone is content with low scoring being part of the traditional GAME!!!
Sponsors, TV do not clammer for rule changes!

Last edited:
And now they've taken $2 million from us and given it to teams like scats and godees, the last 2 flag winners. Our membership dollars going to other clubs to help them win flags.
Imacelebrityau GIF by I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here! Australia

Soccer...especially on the WORLD STAGE...does not care about making more goal scores...everyone is content with low scoring being part of the traditional GAME!!!
I would change soccer,no penalties,stops academy award flops and no offsides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rubbish.
We would have gave it an almighty shake.

Rubbish rule that makes it even more harder for
Umpiring along with other bullshit rules that serve no purpose in games, , get rid of stupid rules and the diabolical umpiring will improve
Heaps, Afl are clueless , stand, dissent , 5 metre
Encroaching penalties, nobody wants this s**t
That's why umpiring is dogshit too many rules
For them to worry about

Rubbish rule that makes it even more harder for
Umpiring along with other bullshit rules that serve no purpose in games, , get rid of stupid rules and the diabolical umpiring will improve
Heaps, Afl are clueless , stand, dissent , 5 metre
Encroaching penalties, nobody wants this s**t
That's why umpiring is dogshit too many rules
For them to worry about
when they are playing to empty stadiums in 15 we can say I told ya so

The funny thing about the stand rule is that if you were inventing the game it makes perfect sense that the man on the mark stays on the hecking mark , allowing lateral movement makes fa sense. Apparently it was only introduced in the modern game as initially it was prohibited , so for the crackpots out there that can’t get over themselves , get a grip

Just watched highlights of our grand finals from 67 to 74.
Shedload of rule changes.
Some how we survived and thrived. RFC should take a teaspoon of cement and harden the f up about stand rule
I did not watch much footy from late 70s. To mid 90s really. I recommend having a break. Come back refreshed

Just watched highlights of our grand finals from 67 to 74.
Shedload of rule changes.
Some how we survived and thrived. RFC should take a teaspoon of cement and harden the f up about stand rule
I did not watch much footy from late 70s. To mid 90s really. I recommend having a break. Come back refreshed
stand rule is worse than anything in history

its a massive farce

Back