Is it time for Michael Christian to go

Remove this Banner Ad

There can be no definitive answer to this but my question is,

In a hypothetical situation where there is a pies player running next to Brayshaw that Maynard is going to make contact with when he lands - would Maynard do exactly the same to his teammate and leave him unconscious on the ground. Or would he have been able to change the contact and outcome.

That us the crux of the matter for me and determines whether he gets off or gets suspended.

Guess Maynard could’ve used his hands and not his shoulder to soften the hit, but when things happen quick it’s self-preservation.

What peeves me off about Christian’s stance is that the MRO always seems to consider the damage done to the player even if there was no malice in the actual incident. I don’t like that approach, but that’s how the AFL / MRO seems to approach it.

With Maynard, Christian is choosing a different approach and seems to not want to consider what happened to Bradshaw.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Truely bizarre he would try to sweep it under the rug with no case to answer and then threaten to walk out on the AFL if it went to the tribunal. Tells you alot about the type of bloke he is.

his ego is writing checks he can't cash.

The audacity of the guy who thinks he will walk out if he is questioned lol.

I want to know how much this bloke gets paid because its not that hard a job and he is still ****ing it up.

There can be no definitive answer to this but my question is,

In a hypothetical situation where there is a pies player running next to Brayshaw that Maynard is going to make contact with when he lands - would Maynard do exactly the same to his teammate and leave him unconscious on the ground. Or would he have been able to change the contact and outcome.

That us the crux of the matter for me and determines whether he gets off or gets suspended.

its been discussed ad nauseam in the other thread but the answer is obviously yes, he could have put his hands out.

Maynard was running towards a player who was kicking the ball and jumped high straight towards him. Crashing into Brayshaw's head was the only possible end result.

That's not bad luck, that's a choice he made.

It was reckless at best, but seems also quite cowardly.

For Michale Christan to try and sweep this under the table is a disgrace, but Collingwood have a long history of trying to bury poor behavior. Just glad there was someone who isn't part of the old boys' club to override the corruption.
I'm curoius bourbons what part of this you think is funny? Were you one of the Collingwood fans cheering and laughing while he was unconscious?

You don't protect yourself by lowering your shoulder into an opponents head, you are both nieve little kids if you honestly think his intent was to protect himself. There were mutliple better options in regards to protecting himself and he chose to ignore those in favour for one that would inflict damage on his opponent.
Were there? I mean yeah maybe if he had longer than a split second to think about it, seems pretty instinctual to me.

Lower your arm down and across your body to protect your ribs and take notice of what your shoulder does. Unsure how he could have covered his ribs without his shoulder moving down a bit.

I'm curoius bourbons what part of this you think is funny? Were you one of the Collingwood fans cheering and laughing while he was unconscious?
Carlton here mate so a that would be negatory.

In regards to whats funny about your post - all of it?

Maynard was running towards a player who was kicking the ball and jumped high straight towards him. Crashing into Brayshaw's head was the only possible end result.
Crashing into a players head is the only possible result from jumping to smother a kick from roughly 7 meters away? Absolute nonsense, if Brayshaw was an inch or 2 further to his left it wouldn't have happened. Same if Maynard didn't happen to jump on the exact trajectory that he did, ultimately it was just bad luck that he landed on him rather than right next to or in front of him.

That's not bad luck, that's a choice he made.
Yeah, he made a choice to attempt a smother.

It was reckless at best, but seems also quite cowardly.
"Cowardly", oh boy :tearsofjoy:

Would have been more cowardly to not contest the kick/try for the smother.

You sound a touch hysterical mate :drunk:

Last edited:
One thing that's interesting though and made me re-assess a little is the "would he have done the same if it was his own teammate" argument.

I think he probably wouldn't have instinctually covered his ribs like he did in that scenario - but thats only because he wouldn't be expecting his team mate to brace for a hard impact either. He was coming down on him from above with no control at all, its as precarious for Maynard as it is for Brayshaw imo, an accidental point of Brayshaw's shoulder into Maynard's ribs was a real possibility.

Its a final, hardly surprising that a bloke playing against actual opposition assumes in that split second he had to make a decision that he isn't going to get a cuddle and easy landing from the opposition that would in an intra club.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1694510422229.png

via: ABC.

i think this'll be an interesting precedent to set, because a lot of reckless acts are deemed football accidents, though i don't think any result given by the tribunal will please anyone watching on. suspend maynard and pies fans will be pissed. don't suspend him and melbourne fans will be pissed.

i'm expecting 2 weeks, most likely

My prediction - Maynard gets off because the AFL wants him to. AFL says that although it is bad it was within the laws as they now stand and they will look at it and change for next year.

Corrupt AFL will get Maynard off.
The right call was made for the greater good of the game.
Bloody obvious every Pies hater was wanting his blood!!
This is what's so frustrating, bullsh"t comments like yours!
#straight sets!

My prediction - Maynard gets off because the AFL wants him to. AFL says that although it is bad it was within the laws as they now stand and they will look at it and change for next year.

Anyone using the word ‘corrupt’ in an imbecile.

A suspension would have opened a can of worms.
Eg, A player accidentally concussing an opponent in a marking contest would have then become the next focus for penalty.
Common sense has prevailed by recognizing we cannot remove all risk from our game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back