Play Nice Is Gil really this much of a fool? Jobe's Brownlow and the commission's "hard" decision.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arc1

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I remember being utterly gob smacked when he came out with this pearler earlier in the year - which has been quoted again today:

----------
In May, AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan admitted there was a collective feeling of dread about having to make the call on Watson's Brownlow.

"I think the people charged with the responsibility of making that decision will not have made a more difficult decision - not just in their time in football, but almost in their lives," he said.

"I don't want to over-dramatise it, but that will be as hard a decision as anyone on the commission has had to make, I'm sure of it."
--------

I mean honestly, anyone on the commission surely has to feel deeply insulted by that. Worse, if he's genuinely saying that the experience and calibre of these people is so pathetic, perhaps the footy-going public should be equally insulted.

The guy won the best and fairest, but was then banned from the game for cheating. You can't even win it if you're suspended for a single match. How difficult is it to figure this out...?! And what sort of life-defining decisions *have* these people had to make previously?

Give him a break, ol gil really needs this one...

hqdefault.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember being utterly gob smacked when he came out with this pearler earlier in the year - which has been quoted again today:

----------
In May, AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan admitted there was a collective feeling of dread about having to make the call on Watson's Brownlow.

"I think the people charged with the responsibility of making that decision will not have made a more difficult decision - not just in their time in football, but almost in their lives," he said.

"I don't want to over-dramatise it, but that will be as hard a decision as anyone on the commission has had to make, I'm sure of it."
--------

I mean honestly, anyone on the commission surely has to feel deeply insulted by that. Worse, if he's genuinely saying that the experience and calibre of these people is so pathetic, perhaps the footy-going public should be equally insulted.

The guy won the best and fairest, but was then banned from the game for cheating. You can't even win it if you're suspended for a single match. How difficult is it to figure this out...?! And what sort of life-defining decisions *have* these people had to make previously?

Was Watson rubbed out for this cheating? I think he was actually. Did Watson accrue any votes in these games that he was rubbed out for?

So in fact Watson was banned for 22 games during which time he couldn't collect votes. So he has been punished then right?

What happened to Ben Cousins' votes in years in which he may have subsequently been found to be taking drugs? Were those votes rescinded and cancelled?

I also understand Cousins was rubbed out for a year, 22 games, and unable to accrue votes during those 22 games. Was Cousins punished twice by being rubbed out for 22 games and then retrospectively being penalised of votes he got in prior years?

What about Dane Swan?

Should Swan be penalised for votes he received during a time when there may have been questions about whether any of those votes he recorded were in games in which had he been tested he would have tested positive for something.

Was Watson rubbed out for this cheating? I think he was actually. Did Watson accrue any votes in these games that he was rubbed out for?

So in fact Watson was banned for 22 games during which time he couldn't collect votes. So he has been punished then right?

What happened to Ben Cousins' votes in years in which he may have subsequently been found to be taking drugs? Were those votes rescinded and cancelled?

I also understand Cousins was rubbed out for a year, 22 games, and unable to accrue votes during those 22 games. Was Cousins punished twice by being rubbed out for 22 games and then retrospectively being penalised of votes he got in prior years?

What about Dane Swan?

Should Swan be penalised for votes he received during a time when there may have been questions about whether any of those votes he recorded were in games in which had he been tested he would have tested positive for something.

Neither Swan nor Cousins have been charged with taking performance enhancing drugs during the periods in question. Bit of a difference...

What about Dane Swan?

If it wasn't for that pesky little difference between PEDs and recreational drugs, you'd almost have a point. You still wouldn't, but you'd be closer.

What about Dane Swan?

What was it Cousins was found guilty of during his Brownlow year, my memory is hazy.

What was it Cousins was found guilty of during his Brownlow year, my memory is hazy.

I'm just curious, when players are suspended in a game, do they lose Brownlow votes from the game they were reported because of an incident, or is it the games that they are rubbed out for that they lose the ability to win votes?

Actually, I'm pretty sure there have been several cases in which players have been given votes in games at which it was (usually later) assessed they should be rubbed out from subsequent games!

Are you saying any Brownlow votes players get in games from which they are then subsequently rubbed out that they should lose Brownlow votes not only in the subsequent games they are suspended from, but also in the game they actually got the Brownlow votes?!?!?!? Isn't that some kind of sick double punishment?!?!?

And for those of you that say that if you get suspended in game you are subsequently disqualified from the Brownlow - no, not necessarily, it depends on the point penalty applied before any loading or discounts doesn't it. So it is in fact not a matter of how many games you are suspended for - no that at all - it is a matter of assessing how many points your suspension was worth - was it 100+ points? 200+ points? 300+points? etc.

My understanding is that you are only disqualified from the Brownlow if your AFL imposed suspension exceeds 100 points before discounts/loading - is that not the case?

So my question is - how many points was Watson's suspension? And additionally, my understanding is that Watson's suspension was not imposed by the AFL was it?

So how does that then fit in with the rules of the Brownlow Medal regarding suspensions?

If it wasn't for that pesky little difference between PEDs and recreational drugs, you'd almost have a point. You still wouldn't, but you'd be closer.

As I understand it - recreational drugs on game day are assessed as PEDs are they not?

You can't go and snort a line of charlie pre-game and get off on a warning because it's a "recreational" drug can you?

He says its a hard decision, doesn't mean he thinks its hard. He may just be saying it to give the appearance of sympathy and concern by the league. He may just mean it is an emotionally charged decision, which isn't to say its a hard decision to make technically.

Make the decision (straightforward), keeps those who think he is a cheating dog onside, express sympathy, indicate it was a difficult decision done with a heavy heart, keeping Jobe sympathisers onside as much as possible.

Have you people never heard of the dark art of spin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back