Games Is FM 2014 Worth it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Play it everyday for about two hours after work to wind down. Currently in season two with Southampton....season one I have no transfer budget but made it to champions league. season two almost completely changed the squad and managed to snag Fierro, Vietto and Denswil and four loan players almost finished season two and sitting fifth but oh boy changing the squad in second year takes them a long time to gel into a unit and loans not helping the team to gel either but grinding out results. I just Love It and need one for AFL.

I'm deep into season 5. Spend first two seasons at Anderlecht then 1 keeping Everton up and now into my 2nd season at Spurs. 5 games to go in the league sitting 5th with a game in hand on all above me, win that and I go to 3rd. Got a EL semi final with PSG in there too. New owners in November gave me massive funds for January.

Ins:
Denswil, Umtiti, Shaw, Humam Tariq, Bernard, Ward-Prowse and Tevez

Attempted a new FM 2O14 career but game keeps killing my laptop! Sticking with 2012!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Anyone else tried the FM on ps vita? I got all excited when I saw they were doing a full port of Football Manager Classic, but gave up on it after about 5 minutes. Not only does simulating a day take a minute or two, the in game time moves up by 5 seconds at a time (0:05, 0:10). Takes almost 5 minutes to complete a game! And that's with only commentary.

Back to PC I go!

New Palace campaign, amazing start to the season, 2-0 win over Chelsea. (Then 0-0 draw with West Brom, but lets ignore that)
But the PSO s**t is really pissing me off.
The 2nd round of the Carling Cup just happened.
A PSO went a combined 41/42

It was 1 kick away from going through the whole squad twice.
Though, when Skrtel misses the 42nd attempt to let Oldham (League 1) win, it is amusing.

Soooooooooooo close to one of (if not the hardest) cup run of all time (thankyou a few upsets :hearts:)

3rd round - Aresnal 6-0 Cheltenham
4th round - Arsenal 0-0 Newcastle
(5th round draw = Manchester City away)
4th round replay - Newcastle 0-1 Arsenal
5th round - Manchester City 1-1 Arsenal
(6th round draw = Chelsea away)
5th round replay - Arsenal 2-0 Manchester City
6th round - Chelsea 1-1 Arsenal
(Semi final draw = Winner of Southampton/Manchester United)
6th round replay - Arsenal 7-1 Chelsea
(Southampton win 1-0)
Semi final - Arsenal 5-2 Southampton
(Cardiff beat Tottenham 3-1 [AET] in other semi)

Yet to play the final.

But really close to having a cup run of Cheltenham, Newcastle, Manchester City, Chelsea, Manchester United and Tottenham

Have to say, if there's one thing I don't like about this game, it's the speed at which you can grow a club. Realistically, if you take Macclesfield from League 2 to Championship in 2 seasons, attendances would SOAR. Instead, you get an increase of around 2000 attendance.

Makes it hard to bring a club from the bottom and make them super competitive at the top, that's for sure

I never moved past FM 2005, as I don't have the time or patience to tinker with every single setting under the hood to set things up just so. I enjoy the comparative simplicity of FM 2005. Started out unemployed, then was hired by Serie C1/C club Ivrea and guided them into Serie B but resigned 2/3rds of the way through the season when it was clear that they were going to be relegated without a whimper.

Spent the rest of the season unemployed before Barnet offered me a job. Took them into the Championship (IIRC), then was offered a job by Crewe Alexandra. Took that job and at the second time of asking managed to get them promoted to the Premier League. But with a stadium holding just under 12,000 people and with no money to spend on transfers, it was pretty obvious that I was going to get them relegated, and probably in last position, so when Middlesbrough sacked its manager and offered me the job, I took the job immediately.

In the winter transfer period of 2010/2011, I managed to buy a hitherto unknown Espanyol player by the name of "Leo Messi". ;)

Just finished the season last night in 10th place, which isn't too bad because the defence is rubbish and any decent team is almost guaranteed of scoring as soon as they get into their attacking third. Stuart Parnaby, Tal Ben-Haim and Philip Bardsley are the mainstays in my defence (I play with a back three) and they're not good enough.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You should try FM Classic in the latest games, it might be more your style. It basically streamlines the game into its core components, its great for those who don't have the time to battle through every single detail.

You should try FM Classic in the latest games, it might be more your style. It basically streamlines the game into its core components, its great for those who don't have the time to battle through every single detail.
Yep, couldn't recommend it enough Dixie Flatline

I'm the same as you, the classic version just lets you do all the basic things and keeps the game enjoyable without needing to spend 100 hours setting everything up.

My problem at the mo is that FM14 keeps forcing my laptop to shut down. I have no idea why, it just seems to happen at random. It's either taxing the RAM too hard (which is unlikely as the laptop has 6GB of the stuff) or it's graphics-related (but then, it runs the match engine fine, it usually dies on the main menus). I would like to get back into it, but for the moment, it's back to FM12 for me.

Could anyone help me with this runtime error problem I'm getting? I basically set the season expectations and straight after it'd crash

You running it off steam?

If so, do a file check by right clicking on FM in the games list.....then something something....im not at home so I cant tell you exactly.

Try holidaying past it?

Cheers, that worked for now. Probably gonna happen again though

You running it off steam?

If so, do a file check by right clicking on FM in the games list.....then something something....im not at home so I cant tell you exactly.

I am running it off steam and have no idea about all that other stuff

I am running it off steam and have no idea about all that other stuff

Steam -> Games -> FM 2014 (RIGHT CLICK) -> properties -> Local files -> Verify integrity of game cache

only takes a few minutes and it will find any missing/corrupt files and replace them.

Steam -> Games -> FM 2014 (RIGHT CLICK) -> properties -> Local files -> Verify integrity of game cache

only takes a few minutes and it will find any missing/corrupt files and replace them.

Cheers mate, hasn't crashed since, pretty good

No sliders for tactics make me sad, can't micro this s**t. Is it really just instructions now?

Cheers mate, hasn't crashed since, pretty good

No sliders for tactics make me sad, can't micro this s**t. Is it really just instructions now?

I prefer the instructions. There are a metric f***-ton of them and I guess it more accurately simulates real life.

I hope in FM15 they put a much bigger emphasis on a full ground press or winning the ball back very quickly as an instruction. Hassle opponents is the equivalent but I dont think they push hard enough when pressuring defenders

I hope in FM15 they put a much bigger emphasis on a full ground press or winning the ball back very quickly as an instruction. Hassle opponents is the equivalent but I dont think they push hard enough when pressuring defenders
My main gripe, albeit one that will almost definitely go overlooked, is the speed at which smaller clubs grow. For instance, if with a few smart investments and some good dealing in the transfer market, you take a team from blue square north into the championship, the attendance should grow by far more than ~500 or so a year. Really, as soon as you hit Premier League or win a big cup, you should get a jump of about 10,000 in attendance.

Once this is fixed (if it's ever fixed), FM will truly be the greatest simulation game of all time (s**t it probably already is anyway!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back