Strength Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym III

Remove this Banner Ad

Only time I would even consider giving out unsolicited advice is when someone is clearly totally inexperienced and doing an exercise that could cause serious damage e.g. squats, deadlifts, bent-over rows. And I mean like high-schoolers who are stick thin and could not look more like a fish out of water if they tried. Once had someone offer their advice when I was 17 and deadlifting by myself for the first time, and while I was a cocky kid who definitely didn't want to hear it, I definitely appreciate it in retrospect because at that age, you're really not aware of the damage you could cause long-term.

Anyone older, I just assume it just works for them. Generally, they're also self-aware enough to ask for help from a PT if they feel they need it.

Only time I would even consider giving out unsolicited advice is when someone is clearly totally inexperienced and doing an exercise that could cause serious damage e.g. squats, deadlifts, bent-over rows. And I mean like high-schoolers who are stick thin and could not look more like a fish out of water if they tried. Once had someone offer their advice when I was 17 and deadlifting by myself for the first time, and while I was a cocky kid who definitely didn't want to hear it, I definitely appreciate it in retrospect because at that age, you're really not aware of the damage you could cause long-term.

Anyone older, I just assume it just works for them. Generally, they're also self-aware enough to ask for help from a PT if they feel they need it.
I was so conflicted with what to do a while back.

Girl on the assisted chin machine.

Appearing all set to do regulation wide grip chins, she actually uses one leg to press the platform down repeatedly.

Given a) she probably wasn't going to injure herself, and b) wide grip single leg press may have actually become a thing, I decided to just go about my business.....

Appearing all set to do regulation wide grip chins, she actually uses one leg to press the platform down repeatedly.

Given a) she probably wasn't going to injure herself, and b) wide grip single leg press may have actually become a thing, I decided to just go about my business.....
Exactly. Unless risk of injury is genuinely high and it's a common rookie error, I don't really want to be providing advice at the gym. I certainly probably wouldn't appreciate it from a random, and I'm sure most regular gym-goers are the same.

That's a legitimate glute exercise so probably a good call to have not said anything

I think i know what your talking about but i cant say ive ever seen someone do it with a wide chin up grip. Usually in those racks they have the tricep dip bars and thats what most people hold.
I've seen people hold both. Id grab the dip bars personally but really it makes no difference you are just bracing yourself

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you only have dumbbells then they will do a job but pointlessly clunky if there is a cable machine free
I like the exercise only issue is that it can be rather awkward to get the weight down if you fail with it.

Some people reckon it locks the arms into an incorrect angle for the movement or something.

As in behind the head or bent over on a bench?

For mine any tricep exercise done with a dumbbell can be done better on a cable
This. Home gym so no cables for me, i do overhead and kickbacks with a dumbbell and its one of the few exercises (IMO dont @ me) where you get pretty much no benefit in terms of output by using free weights, you can feel its using a stack of other muscles and reducing the isolation.

Also, home gym irrits last night.

I think most of you know my gym is set up in a semi enclosed carport (garage door, roof, shared wall with the house but open on two sides) and most of you also know im working around some newborns right now.

I did a late workout last night after getting my toddler down for bed, so 9.15pm. With the rain and humidity i just had ******* creepy crawlies EVERYWHERE. Spiders chilling in the roof i had a ******* gargantuan snail cruising past my floor mat. Real ****ed.

Ok so this didn't annoy me but a young bloke had a spew in the gym this morning. Poor bastard, he's only new and it was involuntary, it just came out on the floor! I told him not to worry, he's not the first and he won't be the last, * knows I came very close when I started here.
I leg pressed near my limit and in the struggle to push, farted. Thank christ everyone near had headphones in!

Garlic as a pre-workout.

I've never heard of it, I just assume from one bloke in the gym today. Jesus it was strong.
What a day for one of the fans to stop working.

This. Home gym so no cables for me, i do overhead and kickbacks with a dumbbell and its one of the few exercises (IMO dont @ me) where you get pretty much no benefit in terms of output by using free weights, you can feel its using a stack of other muscles and reducing the isolation.

Also, home gym irrits last night.

I think most of you know my gym is set up in a semi enclosed carport (garage door, roof, shared wall with the house but open on two sides) and most of you also know im working around some newborns right now.

I did a late workout last night after getting my toddler down for bed, so 9.15pm. With the rain and humidity i just had ******* creepy crawlies EVERYWHERE. Spiders chilling in the roof i had a ******* gargantuan snail cruising past my floor mat. Real ****ed.

Best report that to the gym maintenace department ;)

I wouldnt give advice unless specifically asked.

Im not qualified and what works for me may not work for others.
Many many times, I have wanted to, but didnt.

While my intentions may be good, I think at the end of the day, if someone wanted some advice they would ask.

I have seen a newbie or two on the assisted lat pulldown machine look confused and bewildered, as they have added "little to no weight" and struggled, not realizing its one of the only machines at the gym, where more weight is better if youre a beginner.

Ironically the only couple of times I have been asked for help is for leg machines which I had no idea how to use.

Overhead I think dumbbells work fine but I don't get how kickbacks with them are such a popular exercise in the gym, terrible resistance curve.

Cable I use for push downs.

Edit - why don't people just use the cable for kickbacks to solve the problem.

Overhead I think dumbbells work fine but I don't get how kickbacks with them are such a popular exercise in the gym, terrible resistance curve.

Cable I use for push downs.

Edit - why don't people just use the cable for kickbacks to solve the problem.
If i had cables i absolutely would.

I think it would go

Crushers, Dips, O/Heads, Kickbacks for the non cable exercises in terms of maximum bang for buck with the tris.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back