Ireland tour postponed

Remove this Banner Ad

Sammo360

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney

Did Australia lift a finger to help Ireland? The other touring teams Ireland are hosting are making concessions, but it seems Australia does everything they can to avoid the minnows.

It’s a shame we don’t do more to encourage Irish cricket.

When the Aussies play in Ireland, it will sell out. Plenty of Aussies there, in UK & Europe.

Did Australia lift a finger to help Ireland? The other touring teams Ireland are hosting are making concessions, but it seems Australia does everything they can to avoid the minnows.

I think we know the answer

shocked philip j fry GIF

Cricket Ireland has come under pressure in recent weeks for the controversial purchase of two Tesla cars for senior officials - one for Deutrom, the other for chief financial officer Andrew May - at a time when their precarious financial position is prompting them to cancel tours by leading international teams.

Yep it's definitely Australia's fault.

So, all of a sudden Ireland tell us, they don't have a grounds that can host international cricket. Haven't they been a test nation for 7 years now ?

Either way Australia no doubt would've found an excuse to cancel.

Be nice if Ireland could tour Australia next year for a test, making it effectively a game prior to the ashes and again prior to the ashes series over there in 2027.

So, all of a sudden Ireland tell us, they don't have a grounds that can host international cricket. Haven't they been a test nation for 7 years now ?

Either way Australia no doubt would've found an excuse to cancel.

Be nice if Ireland could tour Australia next year for a test, making it effectively a game prior to the ashes and again prior to the ashes series over there in 2027.

They have the ground it's just not cost effective to get it set up. I suspect they're postponing it to next summer when England are touring so they'll have Malahide set up anyway.

Irish cricket loses money every year. heck knows what their board is doing considering they get extra funding from the ICC for being a full member. The emerging cricket podcast touches on Ireland's seemingly mismanaged funds a bit. Associates with far less funding manage to stretch their dollar much further than this rabble.

Irish cricket loses money every year. * knows what their board is doing considering they get extra funding from the ICC for being a full member. The emerging cricket podcast touches on Ireland's seemingly mismanaged funds a bit. Associates with far less funding manage to stretch their dollar much further than this rabble.

Forgive my ignorance because I’m not a close devotee of the emerging nations to a high degree but would population play a part in that? Even a very very early stages emerging nation like Uganda who are just starting out as a World Cup team have 50 million people in their population so can that have some sort of impact on what they can do with selling media rights etc? (Yes I realise the gap in socio-economic status of a place like Uganda compared to Ireland but just wondering what impact population has on the small cricket nations)

Forgive my ignorance because I’m not a close devotee of the emerging nations to a high degree but would population play a part in that? Even a very very early stages emerging nation like Uganda who are just starting out as a World Cup team have 50 million people in their population so can that have some sort of impact on what they can do with selling media rights etc? (Yes I realise the gap in socio-economic status of a place like Uganda compared to Ireland but just wondering what impact population has on the small cricket nations)
I don't know enough on that specific subject to have an educated answer sorry. Other European nations (albeit smaller cricketing ones) do fine at organising and hosting teams though so who knows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Irish cricket loses money every year. * knows what their board is doing considering they get extra funding from the ICC for being a full member. The emerging cricket podcast touches on Ireland's seemingly mismanaged funds a bit. Associates with far less funding manage to stretch their dollar much further than this rabble.
Not many of the other nations have European style expenses. The same amount of USD goes much further in Africa than in Ireland regardless of what it gets spent on. Yes, Scotland and Netherlands, but they don't have Test squads to occasionally worry about or need to try to run a FC comp whenever affordable.
Others might do more with less funds, but few have the same demands in a high-cost economy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back