IOC Sweeps Positive Test Results under the Carpet

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 21, 2006
On Deadly Ground
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Seagal, Hull, Hibs
Well, well, well. The magic little island with a ramshackle testing regime slips the noose without investigation. I wonder why?

According to information from the ARD anti-doping editorial staff, in 2016 during the re-analysis for banned substances, clenbuterol was detected in several urine samples from the 2008 Jamaican Olympics team. And these also included samples from the Caribbean island’s male sprinters, according to the ARD research team.

However, it could not be excluded that the banned substance entered the athletes’ bodies through the consumption of contaminated meat. Furthermore, according to Niggli, the clenbuterol levels were potentially so minimal that any proceedings against athletes would have little prospect of success. For which reason, WADA agreed to the IOC’s approach here not to pursue the positive tests further.

No such luck for Alberto Contador.

And Angel Heredia of BALCO witness fame appears.

Witness Heredia confirms contact
Angel Heredia was one of the best-known dealers in the business. The Mexican supplied top athletes with banned substances – including the sprinters from the Caribbean. Then he quit dealing and became a key witness for America’s crime-fighting authorities. When he spoke to the ARD anti-doping editorial staff, Heredia recalled that in 2007 and 2008, in the period leading up to the Beijing Games, "There were plenty of questions from Jamaican coaches [contacting and] asking me [...] if clenbuterol was good for sprinting," Herdedia said. "They have asked me since very long, even years before that, they asked me how clenbuterol was good for sprinters and they were asking me questions how to use it. And whether it was good for sprinting, for recovering and all this stuff. Basically clenbuterol, [...] they used it a lot for recovery, for increasing their oxygen intake, you know, for anti-asthmatic properties." When asked how high he thought the probability was that Jamaican athletes used clenbuterol for doping purposes at the 2008 Beijing Games, he reckoned it to be, "a hundred percent. A hundred percent."

http://www.sportschau.de/doping/doping-testergebnisse-englisch-100.html

More analysis from Ross Tucker

In this particular case, however, it would appear that no process was even initiated, and these numerous cases of low clenbuterol were simply dismissed as the result of contamination. At least, that’s the official line, according to Olivier Niggli, the DG of WADA. In his words:

“If the levels of clenbuterol in the sample are compatible with food contamination, in other words if its levels are relatively low, compared to what you’d normally have if you’ve taken it directly, it has been accepted, and WADA has accepted that, that these cases would simply not be reported. Of course, this is not great, because if you’re cheating, if you’re a cheater, you have perfect excuse if you get caught. But that’s where we are”

So, unless I’m reading this incorrectly, the official “accepted” position is that very low levels are dismissed. They’re treating clenbuterol as a threshold drug, in other words, and saying that only when the levels reach X will they pursue it as likely doping.

There are two problems with this:

First, clenbuterol is explicitly NOT a threshold drug. It’s one of the drugs where any detection, however small, is meant to trigger a positive result and subsequent pursuit of explanations and confirmation. That seems to be inconsistent with how it is being done in practice, which is problematic. At best, you have a procedural irregularity when you fail to respond to its presence in urine.

Second, the conceptual “scientific” problem with this is that the level you detect in a sample at Point Z in time is the result of two things: Time gone by, and amount ingested. The amount you’d detect after say, two weeks, is obviously going to be considerably lower than that you’d detect in two days. And if you ingest or inject twice the amount of a drug, it will be detected in higher amounts (not necessarily twice as high because it doesn’t disappear linearly).

So, you have interplay between time and amount – a big dose taken a long time ago looks like a small dose taken recently, and may look like food contamination. The result is that you can throw back a huge dose, provided you’re tested far enough into the future that the levels have declined to what Niggli would call “compatible” with food contamination.

There is no way to tell how long a drug has been in an athlete’s body when you have only one sample. So if these clenbuterol positives come from one occasion in Beijing, then this argument is wrong.
http://sportsscientists.com/2017/04/jamaican-clenbuterol-positives-procedural-failure-credibility/

blackcat

Well, well, well. The magic little island with a ramshackle testing regime slips the noose without investigation. I wonder why?

Mick Rogers the pro cyclist from canberra got off with the "contaminated meat" defense. why oh why did not josh thomas and lachie keefe use the contaminated meat defense and they would have skated. what is the steak place in richmond? Vargo's or something. i had been telling them for time immemorial, contaminated clen steak. imagine that is where dane and dusty would eat. gotta be right? they wouldnt dope, no way. there are no drugs in the caribbean innit neither

NB. Floyd (Landis) and Dr Michael Ashenden were sitting at the James Street bakery in 2010, at Martin Hardie's doping conference, FL said to Ash, re: clen, "it works, but I could not sleep for two days so I did not use it again". words to that effect.

obviously, pre-lipotropin, it was used for shredding, with secondary hypertrophic effect. cyclists would use it pre-lipotropin, for the shredding, to lose a few extra lbs.

Mick Rogers the pro cyclist from canberra got off with the "contaminated meat" defense. why oh why did not josh thomas and lachie keefe use the contaminated meat defense and they would have skated. what is the steak place in richmond? Vlado's or something. i had been telling them for time immemorial, contaminated clen steak. imagine that is where dane and dusty would eat. gotta be right? they wouldnt dope, no way. there are no drugs in the caribbean innit neither
Efa

I'm reminded of Aqualad's quote in the first or second episode of Young Justice
"No . . . Nothing odd going on here."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.sportschau.de/doping/doping-testergebnisse-englisch-100.html

More analysis from Ross Tucker

http://sportsscientists.com/2017/04/jamaican-clenbuterol-positives-procedural-failure-credibility/

blackcat
They wouldn't be the only sporting body to sweep bad news under the carpet.

They wouldn't be the only sporting body to sweep bad news under the carpet.
which is why they treated justin charles the footscray cheat from footscray bullodogs with kid gloves and ian collins took a special concern for him. i think i am just contradicting myself, cos i wished to pot footscray and justim charles the cheat.

but my subtext is the hawthorn west coast adelaide north melbourne teams were up to their eyeballs in the gear in the same era. libba could not have been the dealer for the entire league innit

guess my potshot falls flat on Zgope1 and dogs, and a'course, charles was a mlb AAA baseballer delisted from the bulldogs before he went to punt road and was popped on the tigers. he was also a favourite for the brownlow one year innit. tells you everything. talent + dope get you an invite to the brownlow.

i agree with the implied Satan

think about Port Adelaide 5 years back in KHinkley's first season, they got the jump on everyone and had Burgess from Liverpool.

NB. I think everyone is on something, but when you see someone get the jump on their "fitness" and being able to run-over teams... not players, run over complete teams, even if Crawford or Box Hill coach and former runner Clarke, and that Essendon beep test runner, complete teams run over these individuals. In cycling terms, #NOTnormal. I dont think they have one drug that gives them an edge, PEDs dont work that way, it is a little like the Dank schema at Windyhill.

In cycling, doping is bifurcated. recovery doping, and engine doping. you need both. During 21 day grand tours, it is vital you have your recovery doping.

Equally vitally is expanding your engine, your O2 system, in the lead-up and offseason. This requires increasing your hematocrit, either with banking greater stores of blood, then taking EPO to accelerate your bonemarrow spurting out more red-cells. If bone marrow is where you create new cells, i am not sure on that, now I doubt it, but cant be ferked googling it.

In AFL, I assume it is the same. You need to improve your physical ability and advantage, in off-season. You need to do it according to your talents and ability to accentuate your advantages, you dont wish to extenuate your physical ability to be a run-of-the-mill cookie cutter utility physical specimen, UNLESS... unless you are Robbie Gray of Port Adelaide who has a mental acumen and acuity, much like Pendlebury, he can make the game around him go slow-mo, and he can be an average athlete, but his ability to think and move and see things faster and before they occur, means he can be a mere average athlete.

there is a maxim in the NBA, dont just be a normal average player, you need to be a leader or the top on the NBA stats rankings in your particular skill specialty. Rodman could have gone thru his career, lifetime averages of 16pp and 7rebounds, but he would have been a journeyman, on 4 teams, and prolly never got a ring.

Rodman went into retirement with a few rings on the Pistons, the best rebounder ever, and one of the top defensive players of his era.

you need to focus on what you can do better than anyone else, what is required by teams, and the sweetspot in where the game is going.

also satan, see Lendl, Muster umlaut, the Texas guy Courier, and Rafter.... when ever the commentators start talking as the fittest of the current players, I now immediately interpret that as a skilled PED supplementer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back