Beamdogg

Club Legend
Jul 6, 2005
Shepp
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Leeds United
Anyone do any interval training a few times per week?

I want to improove my HM time and seeing if anyone does any specific interval training but just want to see what works for everyone?

the running part of my pre-season revolved around interval training and it's the fittest i've been since year 12 in 2002. got my 800 time down to about 2'30 in january, but i reckon i'd be closer to 2'20 now... in mid 2010 i had a bet with my then girlfriend that i could break 3 mins for an 800... i made it in 2'59 but i've always had a sneaking suspicion she stopped the clock on me out of pity so i could at least win...

but yeah, interval training is great. it's tough though.

i mixed it up, i usually did about 6 sets of 400 metres starting a set every 4-5 minutes, and varied the way i got the 400 out.... sometimes 20 x 20, 10 x 40, 2 x 200, 1 x 400... i guess for me as long as mixed it up i enjoyed it...

i ran about twice a week. my aim was to try and do 3-4 sessions a week but it just didn't happen.

intervals really help get your pace up but certainly need to make sure you can cover the distance so I do one long run 1 recovery run 1 intermediate run and 1 interval run per week. I will also throw in plenty of hills depending on which half you are in. If you have not trained for them and get them in an event they can smash you

I use intervals, as much for general fitness as for football - used to do alot of long distance running but intervals seem to provide more bang for your buck.

Yesterday was a repeat sprint session after 3 x 400m max efforts with 30 seconds then 40 second rest. Absolutely spent afterwards, easier to run for 90 minutes than do a short sprint session at full pace. Easy enough to use football ground markings for distances, grass is easier on the knees too.

Hmmm... maybe fartlek training would have more carry over to reducing a half marathon time than traditional interval sessions. Back when i fought i used to do 1x 800m 2x 400m, 3x 200m, 5x 100 & 10x 50m sprints.

Hmmm... maybe fartlek training would have more carry over to reducing a half marathon time than traditional interval sessions. Back when i fought i used to do 1x 800m 2x 400m, 3x 200m, 5x 100 & 10x 50m sprints.
Mixing it up helps as well. Doing intervals and hills on a bike trainer or cross trainer can also do your run wonders. Add bricks with this as well. If you train your legs hard to run when they are tired they will eat up a half

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dunno if lance or anyone is still keen on this thread, but there are several workouts needed to prepare for an endurance running event if improving a PB is the goal. you really need to give yourself at least a good 3 months of prep.

all sessions should begin with adequate warmup such as a an easy run, and drills such as high stepping, butt kicks, bounding, and progressing to strides - quicker runs over 50-80m. the cool down is important too.....a light run or jog at the end of the session as well as stretching and filling your body up with nutrients within the 2 hours following it.

Long run
Steady pace around 65-75% max HR. If you havent run in a while, build up kms in 10-15% increments to a little over the HM or race-distance km over an undulating circuit, but make sure you start cutting it back in the month prior to the race for a long-distance event like the HM or Marathon. do these only once a week (weekend is probably the only chance you'll get for such a session) and maximise recovery afterwards. the steady pace shouldn't be too taxing but the effect on the body of a long run is still big. the goal is to improve aerobic endurance over the distance, so maintaining a race pace isn't the important thing to concentrate on during the the long run.

Speed & Vo2 max intervals
These can be done as separate sessions but the average joe can't fit everything in on separate days so these are good sessions to combine. Probably just start with straight out speed intervals in the first few weeks. At 1500m (for HM/marathon) pace complete 4-6 x 150-300m intervals with around 3 min walk recovery in between. these aren't a maximal sprint but still done quickly. focus on running efficiency.

after a few weeks, add on V02 max sessions. these are the most taxing of any running program. reduce the number of speed intervals to 2-3 at 200m at and complete these first. then complete 4-6 intervals over 600-1000m distance. If preparing for the HM or marathon, run these at 10km pace with a easy run/jog recovery in between. for shorter distances run these about 5% quicker than that distance race pace. the work:rest ratio should be around 2:1 in time so anywhere between 90-120sec. once again, try to maximise recovery after a Vo2 max interval session. these sessions should also be completed at the track, or on flat grassed surface.

Tempo run/intervals
these are shorter continuous runs at a pace quicker than a long run. the easier day for the body of the 3 sessions but can be made harder with the addition of hill intervals.

when i prepare for a 5km or 10km event i do 2-3 * 4-6 min intervals at the race pace with easy run recovery with work:rest of 2:1. for HM or marathon the interval can be increased to 8-10 mins with a pace you think you can handle for about 60 mins so quicker than HM pace. with the shorter work intervals, you can add in 4-6 hill intervals at your 10km pace with walk back recovery for strength but do these earlier in the prep and cut back closer to the race.

any extra days you have for running should be short easy recovery runs, or mix it up with a cycle. just don't be doing it too hard.

it's important to adhere to your pace in all workouts, otherwise, the necessary adaptations wont occur.

also, remember to taper closer to race day. the longer the distance of the race, the longer your taper. allow about 3 weeks for the HM and marathon. 7-14 days is sufficient for 10km or less. when tapering, cut back the volume by half, but don't cut back on the frequency of training and the intensity of the sessions. probably a good idea to not do a long run, speed, vo2 max, or any hill repeats in the week leading up to a race and do shorter recovery runs with strides at the end to keep sharp. definitely give yourself a couple of days off of no running before the race..........just make sure it's not all sitting on the couch.

I used to do it on the treadmill at the gym, I can't remember what times and speeds I was using, but it was roughly something like a decent jog maybe 10k, do that for 1 minute, then increase the speed to my maximum and sit there for 20 seconds once it was up there, then drop it back down again. Rinse and repeat. Obviously you're going to be a better runner than me, so adapt it to fit yourself.

Easy to set up, and you've always got the numbers to track your progress/compete against/step up.

Maybe try giving the rowing machine a crack for some cross training, that thing raped me harder than the treadmill ever did.

Can anybody give me some insight into how much difference there is between running intervals and cycling intervals(stationary bike)? ie. muscles worked/strengthening, lactic acid buildup etc.
For example if we compared say 30sec sprint/30second rest to 2min cycle/2min rest? would the cycling help me on the football field?

The last half marathon I did I used a lot of the "Mona Fartlek"
Was a Steve Monaghetti fartlek that really helped with pace - if you google it you can find it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back