Injury/Rehab Injury/Niggle Management - w/ cptkirk

Remove this Banner Ad

Not an option.

For one that thing is gigantic, there's no way I'm getting into the building with it.

On top of that there's literally nowhere in the building to do it. There's not one single room with any sort of privacy, or room to do it.

I do some "casual" dynamic stretching every hour or two standing at my desk, and even then I always get asked what I'm doing. Which doesn't worry me, but when my boss is implying it's unprofessional to be rolling around on the floor, yeah.. annoying.

That exercise yesterday, I had to go into the disabled toilets just to find somewhere.

It's absurd, but not much I can do about it.

Get promoted and get an office bro.

Which doesn't worry me, but when my boss is implying it's unprofessional to be rolling around on the floor, yeah.. annoying.

Sorry I got a bit of a giggle out of this sentence, looking around at the guy who sits next to me and imagining him rolling around on the floor.

each segment of the lumbar spine allows for 2 - 3 degrees of rot, that is no where near enough to get 1 leg to the other side of the floor without compressing the shit out of your facet joints...lie on your side and rot your upper body away instead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo8rPut0GXI

don't let your hips move even a millimeter

leg workout warm up

tennis ball arse / stretch arse
foam roll quads and hip flexors / stretch quads/hip flexors
foam roll adductors / stretch adductors
spiderman lunge w/ thoracic mobility series: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIOmYMTf4Yk&context=C3e1ebcdADOEgsToPDskK__szoG-wf-Y0V73OAHymd
glute activation in hip extension and hip abduction
warm up sets and into it

most of the rotation comes from the thoraco-lumbar junction
that mobilisation he's doing is fine. unless you have a history of disc injuries that were precipitated by torsional forces.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yo kirky, I've been running a fair bit lately (well, more than my normal "none"), including playing/training for cricket since last week.

Instantly I've felt that sharp, torn feeling in my quads, and the distinct feeling of shin splints.

I used to get this almost every time I ran, which is probably why I stopped to be honest.

I've been training myself to run "properly", with more weight on my toes, my pelvis not tilted backwards, contracting my glutes and bringing my feet behind my back as I run.. But doing that in order to avoid injury results in pain in my ankles and lower quads, because they're not used to it/built for it, I guess.

Any ideas on how to help me? My body's not built for running at all, but this is ridiculous.

Yo kirky, I've been running a fair bit lately (well, more than my normal "none"), including playing/training for cricket since last week.

Instantly I've felt that sharp, torn feeling in my quads, and the distinct feeling of shin splints.

I used to get this almost every time I ran, which is probably why I stopped to be honest.

I've been training myself to run "properly", with more weight on my toes, my pelvis not tilted backwards, contracting my glutes and bringing my feet behind my back as I run.. But doing that in order to avoid injury results in pain in my ankles and lower quads, because they're not used to it/built for it, I guess.

Any ideas on how to help me? My body's not built for running at all, but this is ridiculous.
Probably no help to you, but I had (touchwood I use past tense) problems in my arches. Following 'correct' form when running did not help and getting up on my toes made the problem worse. Sometimes you can't have textbook answers to problems so just keep that in mind.

sharp, torn feeling? better explain that better

shin splints is just a stress fracture / overuse injury but you might have some shin bone sharpy bits that need to be rubbed out i.e. make you cry

show wear also may need to be looked at

and this:

http://aussierulestraining.blogspot.com.au/2010/03/shin-splints.html

How'd you solve it?
Most of the problem was put down to my exubarance, running on roads and up hills etc. I've slowly worked up to that and do so in moderation now.
Some of the problem was trying to things by the textbook - tried barefoot running, orthotics etc. The final solution was loosening my shoelaces and giving my foot room to move within the shoe. As a kid I ran massively on my heels and now I know I'm getting back to that because its natural for me and caused me no problems, the problems came when I tried to run too fast.
Maybe if I'd started running the right way from day dot there wouldn't have been any issues but at my age it's best to stick to what the body knows.
Not sure how much that will help you though lol, I'm certaintly no Cptkirk!

Yeah cheers, that sounds like me. My body's been troublesome my entire life, and I've always had poor running technique and all that. It's only been in the last two years or so that I've decided enough's enough, attempting to change everything.

But doing it differently gives me grief, too, so I'm not sure what's worse!

sharp, torn feeling? better explain that better
It's basically a strain.

Whenever I run it feels as though my quads have been stabbed.
shin splints is just a stress fracture / overuse injury but you might have some shin bone sharpy bits that need to be rubbed out i.e. make you cry
By that do you mean get a massage on my calves, including the front?
show wear also may need to be looked at
My sneakers are pretty supportive, but I've always had the issue.
The video there, what exactly does that do?

I'm certain that my running technique does me no favours. But as I said, fixing it seems to aggrevate other things.

And as you know I've got a history of troubles throughout my body because of my hip misalignment, so I'm not sure what needs to be fixed first.

the video is psoas activation which is the hip flexor past 90 degrees (past hip ht)...when this is weak then all the running stress goes to the lower leg instead of being distributed through the ankle, knee and hips...and you sort off asll on the foot moving in front of you rather then stepping up, over and down like you should

for the shin splints you can tiny bone fragments that "hang" off the edge of the shin bone, someone needs to get their knuckles and really scratch their way down the length of it to break them off - very hurty indeed i've had it done

hip alignment is easily first priority

Having not seen you run Kong, hip/quad & shin pain suggests mabye over striding? when your foot contacts the ground is it out infront for your centre of mass? as you could imagine the shear force produced if you leg contacts the ground infront of you it is essentially decelerating your whole mass.

Could try running with a more foward tilt & feet making ground contact basically underneath you, this will do two things 1. Less load through quad/shin/hip & 2. decrease hip extention, which may have been causing that quad tear feeling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back