Indigenous life and history

Remove this Banner Ad

Love to hear your review Robbo. See if it should make it on my retirement list.
Sand Talk is a slow burn and then it takes off. I suspect I will have to read it a second and third time to take it all in. It’s profound. It’s a game changer in the way it challenges your way of thinking. This is not the review by the way. I haven’t finished it yet.:)

Sand Talk is a slow burn and then it takes off. I suspect I will have to read it a second and third time to take it all in. It’s profound. It’s a game changer in the way it challenges your way of thinking. This is not the review by the way. I haven’t finished it yet.:)
For when you need to listen to something rather than read, another radio show from the abc linked at the bottom of the article.

Songlines - an indigenous memory code

I’m going to read Sand Talk a second time. It requires very deep thinking.

I’m convinced that there’s merit in what he’s saying about the different way in which white and indigenous people think. In many respects it’s a story for white/indigenous relations across the world.

When I think about it it’s a natural progression from Dark Emu however you could read them the other way round and it would still make sense.

The final review will have to wait but I give it a 👍’s up. It’s a worthwhile read.

I’ve now turned my thoughts to a bit of truth telling. I’m apprehensive about this book but I need to inform myself as I journey along this path.
A072AE0D-DE6A-4A4D-8FF5-9A329ACE8989.jpeg
BlueGum

I come from a water background, and only just realised Samantha Riley is recognised as indigenous.
Australian code in ww2 was indigenous. As the americans used american indian for code.
I lived in central queensland for a while, the colonial expansion did not go unopposed, i heard talk of 'the 40 year war', could not find any literature about it.
I saw robbie muir and his exploits first hand. It reinforced the old name he had, i didnt think good or bad of the biffo (the two blokes desereved it, two whacks, two bums on the deck,cops not called, lessons learnt i guess). I also dont think his story excuses all that he has done, but it does highlight a few areas of extra adversity (2 year footy ban is awful) .If i can ever get back to Australia i will be looking up the sand talk book for sure.
As i kid the only thing i learnt about aboriginals was a teacher read 'the rainbow serpent' at school. I think if we knew more of their story, it would go a long way....
I cannot read anymore massacre stories though or watch things like 'Samson and Delilah'. Ten Canoes was a good one. The tragedies need to be recognised but it they have so much more to tell and offer. At some point it needs to move past the victim mentality.
My favourite player Wirrpanda from the Eagles. Only an opinion but I think Goodes and his carryon has damaged their image.
I have only had friends/family assaulted by indigenous, never had a sit and chat with any of the good people.
Really the only experience i would say most of us would have had would be footy players and cathy freeman, (unless you watched Marngrook) , that needs to change.
Healing, yes...they have so much to offer i would think, and nothing much positive has happened since Rudd apologised on behalf of the government.
Thanks to the above posters for some good reading to chase up.

Practical suggestion go outback & have a look for yourself, not likely you'd get a permit these days.

Give these guys a call: https://clontarf.org.au/careers/
Mitch McGoverns dad might be worth a call https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_McGovern

Try & get your own understanding, dont just look at one side of the issue, because within the indigenous community there are different opinions. Google can be your friend.

Practical suggestion go outback & have a look for yourself, not likely you'd get a permit these days.

Give these guys a call: https://clontarf.org.au/careers/
Mitch McGoverns dad might be worth a call https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_McGovern

Try & get your own understanding, dont just look at one side of the issue, because within the indigenous community there are different opinions. Google can be your friend.
My extended family have worked in the remote west for decades. And still do.
Their stories are normally sad.
I played with some kids in town, a few dobs of footy, but the parents were, off doing other things. You wouldnt be out at night particularly pay day. So even if your out there near the edges, the true spirit is often unreachable .
I would guess, and its similar to the experience I had living with Melanesians for some years, is that the true people wont come forward to any strangers or blowins. You could spend months without talking. Its only after acceptance and consistent behaviour over time, that they will even talk with you.
I think thats great and it rubbed off on me. But it sort of explains some of the issues I guess. Even to eye contact.
My bubble got burst when i heard about blackbirding in the south pacific, sitting and an all indigenous (melanesian) class with one kiwi girl. I was ******* horrified, no one said anything but as a kid in primary school....I still cant explain what was going through my mind that day. It was then followed up by the co operation with the coastwatchers stories around the islands and other areas of the pacific. I mean i only just found out about the torres/tiwi island oz indigenous battalions in ww2.
Its a valid point, practical experience. But as you say it isnt easy. Keeping idiots out of the sacred areas and giving them peace may well be the best thing.
I go back to my point about exposure in school to culture, and could put forward something like school camps, imagine if you could spend some time with elders, respecting law, learning/absorbing some true and unique wisdom. In fact, its not about talking even sometimes, again, I only understood melanesians better when I heard the slit gong drums, 40 completely traditionally dressed custom men, it was the smell of the earth, vibrations, energy or mana some might say that is indescribable. The singing was energy, it wasnt sound.
Maybe its too much for most, it changed me.
Maybe we dont deserve it and should be content to let them be.
Many many facets to it all, but I know that I havent had anything close to that connection to the original peoples here and to a lesser extent our country.
If you have had that connection you would know what Im talking about, and it resists tokenism. As it should.

As a kid my father told me of the Pinjarra wars of the 1800s, Dad was at school in Pinjarra with descendants of the Noongar killed - it wasnt taught as such but was discussed, all the kids at school there were aware of it, black & white. I wasnt taught about it at school in the 50s & 60s.
I'm not a fan of wringing my hands & feeling guilty for the sins of the past.
History seems to have been politicised in the modern world, & we really need to read widely to even follow what is going on around us today.

See this: https://www.smh.com.au/national/the...ls-sitting-on-120m-trust-20200708-p55a3p.html

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When ever my family travels within Australia we always find the local cultural centre to learn about the area. They are a great place to get a smattering of understanding also there is always someone willing to talk and show you around.

submissions open for indigenous voice, constitutional enshrinement - called for in the statement from the heart

make a submission

There are conflicting opinions amongst the indigenous community.

Unrealistic as it is I wish the political parties would pull their necks in, they simply divide people & this is to important an issue to be kindling on the fire of party politics.

Last edited:
Heaps of resources on indigenous topics

Came at it via a podcast with an environment focus that has many episodes with indigenous themes and people

A statement from Carlton said January 26 “contributed to the upheaval of First Nations people and their lands” and called for “respectful discussion” to find a way to move forward in unity.

Good on ya, Blues :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back