If Facebook pulled out....

Remove this Banner Ad

swingdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
If Meta can't come to an agreement with the Australia media companies (unlikely), it could simply stop their news feeds.

If the government forced it to be a designated media organisation, it could pull out all together (including Facebook, Instagram, Threads, WhatsApp).

There's predictable 'concern' from the media companies (though I have to laugh hearing Australian experts refer to our media as 'credible'), but for the rest of us. Would it really be that bad?

Would we care?

If Meta can't come to an agreement with the Australia media companies (unlikely), it could simply stop their news feeds.

If the government forced it to be a designated media organisation, it could pull out all together (including Facebook, Instagram, Threads, WhatsApp).

There's predictable 'concern' from the media companies (though I have to laugh hearing Australian experts refer to our media as 'credible'), but for the rest of us. Would it really be that bad?

Would we care?
Would be great if they took MSStok with it. People might have to start doing old fashioned talking to friends rather than posting nonsense on line to get strangers attention.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Would be great if they took MSStok with it. People might have to start doing old fashioned talking to friends rather than posting nonsense on line to get strangers attention.

The irony of posting this on an online forum is not lost on me 😂

The irony of posting this on an online forum is not lost on me
Well spotted on my hypocrisy which I had missed. I think this forum is a bit different in that Chief pays taxes here where the money is made and depsite some complaints (mostly from right wingers) discussion/moderation is fairly safe and balanced unlike Facebook that let's hate speech and go wild as they prioritise money and Msstok that seeks to support a government narrative and steal people's information (Facebook probably does that too).

Last edited:
Well spotted on my hypocrisy which I had missed. I think this forum is a bit different in that Chief pays taxes here where the money is made and depsite some complaints (mostly from right wingers) discussion/moderation is fairly safe and balanced unlike Facebook that let's hate speech and go wild as they prioritise money and Msstok that seeks to support a government narrative and steal people's information (Facebook probably does that too).

Don't get me wrong I wasn't having a crack at you, just thought it funny! We're all here doing the same s**t

You have to face off against these big corporates. I
don't think this is the topic to do it on, I'd much rather it was over taxes/income earnt from Aus operations but can't let them bully nations.
While they might be able to pull out of aus (or more likely geo block aus) to make a statement, they csnt do that everywhere. You just need to stand your ground and find some friends (other nations to stand with you) at some point it'll hurt the bottom line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back