Injury Hugh Goddard

Remove this Banner Ad

This season leaves me feeling like...
bad-hiding-under-box.jpg
Do we take it you mean an upside down, recyclable fragile spongebob squareplants impersonator?

You're saying don't use a high draft pick on key defenders even though the best key defenders were all high draft picks..? Sorry if I'm missing the point but I don't get it.
And yeh of course a good midfielder is more valuable, does this mean we should just go for midfielders? And to counter your argument it's actually easier to find good midfielders later in the draft then it is to find good defenders. So yeh, once again sorry if I don't understand your point.

That's not a list of all the best key defenders, it's a cherry-picked list of those who were high draft picks. Josh Gibson was a pretty good defender, so was Sam Fisher, Matty Scarlett, etc etc etc. Plenty of good defenders weren't high draft picks, so "the best key defenders were all high draft picks" isn't true.

Absolutely it means we should just go for midfielders, that's been my argument for literally this entire rebuild and it continues to be true. It's what the Dogs basically did, it's the only sane thing for anyone to do. Key backs and key forwards are less important to a team's success, you only need a few of them, and you can get them second-hand to do a job. If your team has one of the top five midfields in the comp then you'll waltz in to the finals, whereas if your team has a great forward or great back and a bottom five midfield, you'll miss the finals easily - as we're seeing with the Saints this year.

And I disagree that it's easier to find good midfielders later in the draft. I haven't looked for stats on this, but I suspect that success rates per pick are better for talls take after pick 30 than for smalls. Finding good mids is hard, the only proven way to do it is to try a lot of players and have some of them succeed. If you start saying "we've got some promising mids now let's choose some talls", the whole thing falls apart because some of your mids get injured, some don't come through, and then you're left with a mediocre midfield AND mediocre talls.

It's a simple numbers game. With both mids and talls it takes a lot of chances to get one A-grader. No team has enough chances to spend them equally across mids and talls with a reasonable chance of success. So you need to focus, and focusing on mids is best bang for buck.

St Kilda young gun Hugh Goddard will miss the remainder of 2017 with a toe injury, the Saints confirmed on Friday.

Goddard will undergo surgery to repair ligaments in his big toe, after suffering the injury in the VFL two weeks ago.

Sent via HAL

An Rhyss Stanley continues to play well for Geelong!

He was dropped recently. Even when he has played he hasn't set the world on fire. Much like when he played for us.

I'd still rather have Goddard at the moment. It's way too early to call him a bust. Petracca and Patton both had long term injuries early.

An Rhyss Stanley continues to play well for Geelong!
You have got to be joking Stanley is a massive bust, he shows a glimpse every now and then like he did on the weekend (remember his break out game against Freo?) and then does nothing. Towards the end of last year he had a 5 goal game, has then played mostly VFL this year. Kicked 3 on the weekend, pencil him in for a quiet month ahead playing as an average forward/ruck who doesn't kick goals when forward and is a bog average ruckman when rucking.

100% better off starting fresh with Goddard and seeing what he can develop into.

I heard Billy Brownless talking about Rhys the other night, and he said, "Yeah, we (Geelong) haven't quite worked out his best position yet..." This for a player who's been in the system now for EIGHT YEARS.

I am so glad he's no longer our problem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hate to say it, because it's a c#nt thing to say but we could have had Wright and Lever w picks 4 & 7 instead

Goddard has underwhelmed me big time so far - not counting his injuries

Hopefully, like McCartin he's just a slow burn

Was
Hate to say it, because it's a c#nt thing to say but we could have had Wright and Lever w picks 4 & 7 instead

was the trade pick 1, 21 for 4, 7 definitely offered? Even if it is, how do you know we can land Wright and Lever for sure? We could easily have landed Peter Wright (key forward is a priority) and Paul Ahern (pick 7) or Jarrod Pickett (pick 4). Would you prefer Wright, Pickett/Ahern compared to Mccartin/Goddard? The two we picked up has been unlucky with injuries, but no way are they bust as yet. we persisted with Ralph Clark for 8 years, I think you can cut Mccartin/Goddard some slack after 2.5 years. Key position takes longer anyway. And by the way, McCartin can be a dominant forward, which Wright won't be. Lever could have easily be a bust with his ACL injury (See Paul Ahern)

The painful thing is with Bruce and membrey, Wright is probably the better fit for us too for team balance. Would have solved the resting ruck issue

Having said that no guarantee we could develop either player to that level. Meanwhile paddy at another club might have been really turning it on by now. So we'd have the standard why did the saints trade pick 1 beating

Was

was the trade pick 1, 21 for 4, 7 definitely offered? Even if it is, how do you know we can land Wright and Lever for sure? We could easily have landed Peter Wright (key forward is a priority) and Paul Ahern (pick 7) or Jarrod Pickett (pick 4). Would you prefer Wright, Pickett/Ahern compared to Mccartin/Goddard? The two we picked up has been unlucky with injuries, but no way are they bust as yet. we persisted with Ralph Clark for 8 years, I think you can cut Mccartin/Goddard some slack after 2.5 years. Key position takes longer anyway. And by the way, McCartin can be a dominant forward, which Wright won't be. Lever could have easily be a bust with his ACL injury (See Paul Ahern)

No guarantees in any hypothetical but if we took 2 key position players w our picks 1&21 decent chance we do the same w picks 4&7

No idea if the trade was definitely offered

He was dropped recently. Even when he has played he hasn't set the world on fire. Much like when he played for us.

I'd still rather have Goddard at the moment. It's way too early to call him a bust. Petracca and Patton both had long term injuries early.

I visit the cats board most weeks and they don't have nice things to say about Stanley , the sort of things that used to be said when he played for the Saints. Stanley has been in and out of the cats lineup and hasn't done much . The cats supporters feel like we do with Lonie and Mitch . They want a young guy to be played instead, think Stanley is a waste.

Sent via HAL

Goddard has struggled this year because he couldn't do any running over the preseason so when they eventually got him playing in Sandys side he was so unfit . He had only been running for about a month so this season was always going to be a write off unfortunately. All they could do was play him just for experience. The kid was never going to be his real self as a preseason is so important these days . Hopefully he will be able to do it this year and be right to go for next season .

Before he did his Achilles he was a much better player than we saw this year in the twos because he was fit . He could hardly get going this year.

I think if he hadn't have done his Achilles then Goddard would be established in the seniors by now .

Sent via HAL

Ultimately we are going to have to wait until Paddy and Hughy are 25ish before we know how good they are.

At least they have clear best positions in FF and CHB unlike Stanley.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back