Injury Hugh Goddard ruptures Achilles, out for the season

Remove this Banner Ad

Bad luck for big Hugh.
Should be back for start of 2017.

Get well soon!

Horrible injury, only slight consolation is how well big Roughy came back when he did his.

Did it in round 12, 2011 and played 23 games the next year, plenty of time spent in the ruck and kicking 40+ goals.
Daniel Wells wasn't quite so lucky. Been an issue for him forever so it seems.

Absolute terrible news. I hope you guys don't mind me popping over here to offer my sympathies, but I just hate seeing young guns of the competition getting injured. I hope Goddard can make a full recovery. As for McCartin, fingers crossed it isn't anything too bad.

The Goddard injury was strange. It happened directly in front of where I was sitting, and it seemed like quite a while between when he was in play to when he fell to the ground. Was clearly very distressed.

Also - wish the umpires stopped play sooner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Terrible news, hope he'll come back from such a significant injury.

I ruptured my achilles some eight years ago and never played an AFL game after that. Granted, I never played one before the injury, but it is a tough one to get up and running from again. Some (far more famous) examples of stars who never made it back.

Fingers crossed for young Goddard !

Absolute terrible news. I hope you guys don't mind me popping over here to offer my sympathies, but I just hate seeing young guns of the competition getting injured. I hope Goddard can make a full recovery. As for McCartin, fingers crossed it isn't anything too bad.

The Goddard injury was strange. It happened directly in front of where I was sitting, and it seemed like quite a while between when he was in play to when he fell to the ground. Was clearly very distressed.

Also - wish the umpires stopped play sooner.

We must have been sitting in the same general area - I was members end mid-tier Riverbank and saw him suddenly go down and I too yelled at the umps to stop play "FFS". We thought it was a knee at the time and it looked terrible. Very sorry to see him with a season ending injury. VB came back well after a similar injury so I hope Goddard does too. Best of luck for a complete recovery.

Terrible news, hope he'll come back from such a significant injury.

I ruptured my achilles some eight years ago and never played an AFL game after that. Granted, I never played one before the injury, but it is a tough one to get up and running from again. Some (far more famous) examples of stars who never made it back.

Fingers crossed for young Goddard !

I did mine 2 years ago playing footy, it's a really nasty injury and the rehab was exhausting. Sure it's not an ACL but it isn't much better.

Good news is he's a professional and will be able to give his body the best chance of recovery.

Bad news is it can be one of those injuries that can change the path of a players career: simply some never show the same ability again.

This will be a bit of a nerve-wracking wait until we see him out on the park again.

It will also depend on how bad the rupture was. A complete break might be more significant then a partial.

Gutted for him though. He is young though and will heal from it fine.

It will also depend on how bad the rupture was. A complete break might be more significant then a partial.

Gutted for him though. He is young though and will heal from it fine.

They put him into a moon boot, i.e. without bending his foot forward to release the tendon and encourage 'healing' for a non-surgery treatment, so they must have been pretty confident that it was fully ruptured with surgery asap before the swelling kicks in.

Good sign though that he didn't appear to be in too much pain (more in shock after feeling and mainly hearing it snap), so hopefully no broken bones in the back ankle.

Good luck to him, will be a tough journey, but he is young and will hopefully come back stronger from this.

They put him into a moon boot, i.e. without bending his foot forward to release the tendon and encourage 'healing' for a non-surgery treatment, so they must have been pretty confident that it was fully ruptured with surgery asap before the swelling kicks in.

Good sign though that he didn't appear to be in too much pain (more in shock after feeling and mainly hearing it snap), so hopefully no broken bones in the back ankle.

Good luck to him, will be a tough journey, but he is young and will hopefully come back stronger from this.
A full rupture basically means the tendon shoots up your leg and a moon boot isnt really going to do much at all so I doubt its a complete one. That said its still just a guess and even then I dont know if its even that much better to still have some connective tissue.

12 months?! So no pre-season :(

How long would an ACL have been? Similar?

Come back stronger Hugh! Best of luck
12 months is the max for this type of injury (assuming no complications), as others have said Roughy did his at a similar time and played round 1 the next year, so depending on how bad it is and how he recovers he might get a pre-season. Id definitely take this over an ACL any day as his chances of doing it again are far less compared to an ACL.

A full rupture is identifiable immediately; the amount of passive tension on the achilles tendon is extraordinary. Depending on how lean a person is, and their amount of bulk in their gastrocnemius and soleus, it is possible to see easily with the naked eye. If not, a quick palpation of the area will confirm it either way.

As was mentioned in here, the moon boot is a good sign, as it's more or less unnecessary in the case of a grade 3 (complete) tear. Recovery will depend on how much of the tendon was torn, and the location of the tear along the tendon. Surgery usually fares better with these injuries than passive healing, so he may get an operation even if the tearing is relatively minor.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back