FTA-TV How would you rate Nine's AFL coverage 2002-06?

Remove this Banner Ad

9 were an absolute disgrace with AFL in NSW/QLD. Very limited coverage, no promotion, anti-swans/lions. Heavily promoted rugby league during AFL coverage.

9's best year for footy was 2009 when they actually showed Footy Confidential and the footy show in sydney on the HD channels. That was an aberition though, as this year they have canned it.

Dont let them near AFL ever again.
I agree with you 100%

Also the dumb bogans who said ch9 was better cos they showed 2 games on Sunday!! Well ch7 wanted this but fox won't give it to them, ch9 was only going to do 1 game this time around if they had the rights!!

Nine's coverage was absolutely pathetic.:thumbsdown:

Some of the commentators were self-centered and were only interested in talking about themselves and not the game. Nine's use of graphics was shithouse as well. These were the same crummy graphics that they had been using for their sporting coverage for the previous 15-20 years.

Nine were terrible, as are Seven.

Yes, they had the 1pm game live, but that was going to be dropped if they won the rights this time (perhaps remained in north-east to avoid NRL telecast conflicts). Sunday twilight was created because the Nine/Fox bid had 4 Fox games, which got carried into Seven exercising last rights.

At least Seven/Prime start Friday games here in the ACT at 9:30. Nine/WIN were 11:30 scheduled, usually midnight start, with a smatterring of 3am, 5am, or not shown at all depending on tennis, golf, home direct.

Nine were the best.

Channel Seven and Ten look amateur compared to the slick and professional Nine.

I'd love to see them get the rights back.

I have always liked ten's production values, only thing they need is a better commentary team. Seven have been disgraceful since they got the rights back. Only thing they have going for them is Dennis Commetti (and perhaps Leigh Matthews too). They need to watch their flashbacks on 7TWO, the coverage was awesome back in the late nineties. They actually cared back then.

Nine has a nice, professional package I think, and I hope that they can duplicate that if they get the rights back . Nine and Ten should bid together, I will be happy as long as Seven stay out of it.

9 was terrible. Russell and Dermie would do nothing but talk about WWE moves after every 2nd tackle was made.

I don't mind seven's coverage. But 10 is the one I think that's setting the standard. They at least show live games on a Saturday night here in Melbourne. And their coverage finishes with the fifth quarter which is an excellent way to finish your football viewing on a Saturday night. And their show One week at a time is not bad either on One. As for nine getting it back I hope that 10 retain the rights and go it alone and perhaps if the government let's them show games on their one channel. Or maybe they can team up with the new fetch tv pay tv service and bid with them and get the right to say 5 or 6 games let fetch tv have the rest.

As for nine their presentation was slick but commentary annoyed me with their arrogant unrelated afl stuff. Yes let 10/One have the rights on it's own.

As for seven, they don't care as much about AFL as someone else has has said in this forum. Bruce is not the same caller as he was before seven when they lost the rights in 2001. Dennis is great and Tom Harley has really adapted well to the media. Matthews is great also.

But no Ten to go it alone with Foxtel/Fetch TV from 2012.

But no, keep Nine away from the AFL.

We all love to hate the free to air networks for a range of things from particular commentators to delayed coverage, yet out of the FTA I found 9 the most boring. I prefer 7's commetary team, and 10 have Quarters and Chrisso who I like listening to. Lyon, JB and the crew at 9 do a great job of TFS, but I couldn't stand their footy coverage.

9 was okay, I really hate Ch 7, so whatever happens if they lose it I am a happy man.

A 9/Foxtel bid is the best result for AFL fans IMO.

AFL needs to have a look at the NFL directv setup in the states and see if we could do something similar here for interstate viewers. (ie $250 a season or so for all games live with blackouts, excluded for sellouts and also 1 or 2 24/7 replay channels)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I liked 9's coverage. Way better than 7 anyway, they are an absolute disgrace.

TBH I don't really care who has the rights, as long as they show every single game live. Do the AFL honestly think that showing the game live will affect crowd numbers?

In the US, every NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB game is shown live. In Europe, every football (soccer) match is shown live. Fox do an awesome job and personally I would be happy for them to have every game.

If 9 show Friday night and Sunday live, give it to them.

9's actual production was streets ahead - it was the only coverage that really made the AFL look impressive. It reminded me of some of the coverage from the US stations. The presentation was slick.

The reason I hated 9 was some of the commentary team - Eddie was always going to show his colours but Dwayne Russell and a few others oversshadowed some of the good commentators they had like Denis Cometti. In saying that, all of the stations (TV and radio stations) have commentary members that people dislike for a variety of reasons.

The biggest issue remains live footy - whichever station can offer the most live coverage should get the rights.

9 were s**t, who remembers sky cam? it was a boys club where they spent more time with their inhouse jokes instead of the football.

Nine's coverage was absolutely pathetic.:thumbsdown:

Some of the commentators were self-centered and were only interested in talking about themselves and not the game. Nine's use of graphics was shithouse as well. These were the same crummy graphics that they had been using for their sporting coverage for the previous 15-20 years.

This. The ch.9 boys club, arrogant back slapping maggots headed by the biggest arse kisser Australia has seen, mcguire. brereton talking utter rubbish at every opportunity.
Please no ch9, please.

It was a boy's club, all had massive ego's. Thought they were bigger then the game itself. Sunday's used to annoy me too. Would start at 12:30pm for a game from Syd/Bris or Adelaide then the highlights of the match in Melbourne mashed together from about 3:30pm to 5:30/6:00pm. Also with everybody complaining about Ch 7 showing Fri night footy on delay, Nine did exactly the same thing with Burke's Backyard !

Definitely prefer 9 over 7 and 10. I hope 9 get the Friday night rights, but with the assurance to the AFL that they have better coverage for the northern states.

7's treatment of footy has been deplorable & cynical. a 1pm live match on sundays? forget that, let's run 'footy flashbacks' & ensure the delayed telecast starting at 3 runs directly into the news.

I agree, i used to love waking up Sunday morning hungover, watching sunday foot show, any given sunday, 1:00 pm live game and 4:00 pm delayed game. I've got Foxtel so not to fussed atm if 2 sunday games are on foxtel.

My biggest hate with seven is their "replay" of the Friday night game, it finishes near on 11:20-11:30 it goes forever. When 9 did it, rarely went passed 11:00 pm.

I remember as a young kid, watching 9's broadcast and loved it!

Friday night, they did a great job, and I always though footy was live so it didn't ruin it for me! But hopefully in the next right's deal it'll be live anyway. Always liked the commentary team, especially MaGuire, never saw anything wrong with him. (His only problem is that he drags on during hot seat :mad:).

Then Sundays, used to love it. Started off on the Sunday footy show at 11, and went for two hours, awesome. Then, straight away at 1, they got stuck into live games (from memory) and showed the other game's score. Then after that, a fatter Tony Jones used to do the first half highlights of the other Sunday game, then it started playing it normally.

I would love to see them back, instead of f****n s**t seven, which didn't progressed it's coverage at all from the 01 Granny.

And seeing that Nine also held the NRL rights at the same time, what they did was put Friday Night Football (NRL) at 8:30pm then FNF (AFL) 11:30pm for NSW/Qld, while Victoria, SA, WA would have the FNF AFL telecast from 8:30pm, the NRL at 11:30pm. Doubtful if this would happen under the new AFL broadact agreement.

I don't remember much except the commentary and I thought McGuire was atrocious but Brereton offered insight. Dennis was Dennis.

Neither 9 nor 7 compare to 10 in my opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back