How much savings do you have?

Remove this Banner Ad

Usually only keep a couple of thousand in the bank. Everything else goes into my mortgage. I am quite a bit ahead in my repayments so have that up my sleeve if needed.

Both.

If you can save $1,000 a week that's great but it's not worth living like a depression era Catholic family to do so.

Once you have savings to your name you should make your money work for you.

If you'd saved $10,000 a year for the last 15 years and put it all in the bank then you'd probably have about $200k after compound interest and tax.

Alternatively you could've put $50k into shares, $50k into real estate and kept the rest in the bank and you'd have a lot more than $200k.

$1000 a week to save? What are you drug dealers?

That's an insane amount of saving at your age..

Thanks mate.

It hasn't felt like hard work or anything though. I only make about $3,000p/m but save a minimum $2,000p/m. I don't skimp on anything, I've been on holidays, buy games and clothes and lost $10,000 on some terrible shares.

I'm probably different because I've worked full time since I was 19 and didn't go to uni.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So how's it goin kanga? You banking your $50 a week? Me? I bank $200 a fortnight of my DSP into an ING account but looking into shittybank payong 3.4%.

It's all a grind. I don't go out in Melbourne. The place sucks as do the women. Can't stand em. Rather save up and go to asia once a year for my fix.

I'm into 5 figures now so will look at some vanguard or indexed fund to consolidate my assets.

Me? I bank $200 a fortnight of my DSP into an ING account but looking into shittybank payong 3.4%.

It's all a grind. I don't go out in Melbourne. The place sucks as do the women. Can't stand em. Rather save up and go to asia once a year for my fix.

I'm into 5 figures now so will look at some vanguard or indexed fund to consolidate my assets.

You've made it bro.

So how's it goin kanga? You banking your $50 a week? Me? I bank $200 a fortnight of my DSP into an ING account but looking into shittybank payong 3.4%.

if this is true you're either living in squalor or being supported by someone else (other than the taxpayer i mean). maybe a combo of the 2.

Or just not living in the city? $200p/f is pretty reasonable off dsp.

DSP is about $600/fortnight (without dependants). then there's rent assistance of what, about $130 max? i agree that living in the middle of nowhere is cheaper, but you're still looking at $250-$300/week in median rural VIC (http://www.dhs.vic.gov.au/about-the...ch,-data-and-statistics/current-rental-report). if it's significantly cheaper than that it = squalor or being supported by somebody else.

then again, maybe he buys dog food on sale.

DSP is about $600/fortnight (without dependants). then there's rent assistance of what, about $130 max? i agree that living in the middle of nowhere is cheaper, but you're still looking at $250-$300/week in median rural VIC (http://www.dhs.vic.gov.au/about-the...ch,-data-and-statistics/current-rental-report). if it's significantly cheaper than that it = squalor or being supported by somebody else.

then again, maybe he buys dog food on sale.

Max as a single is $737 + rent assistance $130 = $860p/f.

I live in rural and you could pay as little as $100 p/w (not nice area, but very liveable)

I know I'm really narrowing it down, but I'm almost certain I could lock down $200 p/f on dsp by moving about 15-20mins away.

Max as a single is $737 + rent assistance $130 = $860p/f.

I live in rural and you could pay as little as $100 p/w (not nice area, but very liveable)

I know I'm really narrowing it down, but I'm almost certain I could lock down $200 p/f on dsp by moving about 15-20mins away.

fair enough, maybe all those centrelink income statements i see at work aren't set at max value. though i will say i still think a $100/week property would be pretty ordinary :p

30k between me and the better half. An additional $24k of that has gone to a deposit for a mortgage.

By the time move in time comes we will have around $50k.

We save around $4500 a month between us.

So $54K $27K in total not bad. $1125 a month= rough $275 a week or $136 each pretty good. Only problem is (and your savings given the economy is 1st rate) is that property prices are a joke. If that was fixed (and all the add on costs which are heaps/electricity/food/petrol etc) you would be pretty well off.

So $54K $27K in total not bad. $1125 a month= rough $275 a week or $136 each pretty good. Only problem is (and your savings given the economy is 1st rate) is that property prices are a joke. If that was fixed (and all the add on costs which are heaps/electricity/food/petrol etc) you would be pretty well off.
We bank $1000 on my pay week's and $1100 on my gf's, and we get paid on alternating week so it works well.

Not sure what the other numbers you mentioned mean.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back