How is the SANFL going?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not being in Adelaide anymore how is the SANFL comp doing now?

In terms of crowds, interest etc?
I think it’s pretty healthy. It seems to have got through Covid ok so far, I think partly due to some financial rules set in place a few years ago. That being that each club has to make at least a $50k profit or have its salary cap cut.

They are considering bringing in a monetary incentive scheme for players that reach 100, 150, 200 etc games which I think is great, not sure of the rules of it.

The main issues are keeping players who are offered more money to play ammos or country footy and how the AFL affect the competition with the two reserves teams in it and the two drafts that can affect team lists greatly.
Most games attract 2k-3k crowds, should be 35k at the GF tomorrow.

I think the competition knows its place. SANFL will never return to the glory days pre-Crows, but we still see good players coming from interstate to prove themselves in what is perceived to be the second best competition in the land, and hopefully be noticed by AFL scouts. Also escaping Melbourne in times of Covid is an issue as well.

At the moment, there are two very strong clubs, Glenelg and Eagles. Eagles have been regular finals dwellers for the past 2 decades, Glenelg came good a few years back after a time in the wilderness.

Grand Final at Adelaide Oval is fine, the pinnacle of football on SA, but I wouldn't play other finals there. Hold them at home grounds of higher ranked teams to increase the atmosphere.

Yeah, we know our place. Still a good comp and I actually enjoy watching it more than most AFL games. Most clubs know their financially position and work within those constraints, with a low salary cap you are going to always lose some of the middle age to older types who can get more money in the country but on the plus side we see a few more kids getting a crack

I think the competition knows its place. SANFL will never return to the glory days pre-Crows, but we still see good players coming from interstate to prove themselves in what is perceived to be the second best competition in the land, and hopefully be noticed by AFL scouts. Also escaping Melbourne in times of Covid is an issue as well.

At the moment, there are two very strong clubs, Glenelg and Eagles. Eagles have been regular finals dwellers for the past 2 decades, Glenelg came good a few years back after a time in the wilderness.

Grand Final at Adelaide Oval is fine, the pinnacle of football on SA, but I wouldn't play other finals there. Hold them at home grounds of higher ranked teams to increase the atmosphere.
I think it’s important to play all finals at AO, gives all teams some game time playing there before the GF, especially important if either reserves team is in finals too.

Even after the Crows/Port entering the AFL I remember it was still healthy for a while...

When Centrals were good and some years when Port, Sturt y Norwood were going well. It's even dropped off a lot since then hasn't it? crowds and memberships etc?

Even after the Crows/Port entering the AFL I remember it was still healthy for a while...

When Centrals were good and some years when Port, Sturt y Norwood were going well. It's even dropped off a lot since then hasn't it? crowds and memberships etc?
Dropped off a little when Port and the Crows started fielding their reserves in the SANFL. I know quite a few that dropped off and haven’t come back but I think numbers are still ok. If the right teams are in finals crowds are still ok. 40k region for 3 of the last 4 GF’s.

From a Vic view I think the SANFL (and the WAFL) are benefiting from the absolute utensil up the AFL has made of the Vic state comp - expanding it to the east coast this year, plus border closures and afl bubbles. Reckon if I was a player looking for an afl shot I’d go Adelaide or Perth before the VFL now.

Though am hearing there may be afl reserves on the horizon…thoughts?!?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

From a Vic view I think the SANFL (and the WAFL) are benefiting from the absolute utensil up the AFL has made of the Vic state comp - expanding it to the east coast this year, plus border closures and afl bubbles. Reckon if I was a player looking for an afl shot I’d go Adelaide or Perth before the VFL now.

Though am hearing there may be afl reserves on the horizon…thoughts?!?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
My thoughts are that with a national reserves comp the AFL will well and truly try to ruin any semblance of the WAFL and SANFL, I think they’ll try to take the development pathway away from the two comps by way of State based zones for AFL teams. The only thing stopping it may be the extra costs involved especially with the financial hit from Covid. Stuff knows how a club like Port afford all of this.

This article was back from May 2019 and has some interesting stats!

The Magpies are the only team to have recorded a drop in numbers for games at all venues this year. The crowd average for games involving the Magpies is 2078, with only West Adelaide below them on 2036. Last season, the Magpies averaged 2341, a figure boosted by the 7965 crowd at Unley Oval for the Anzac Day clash against Sturt.

The average for all state league games this season is 2564, compared to 2502 after six rounds last year. The minor round average for 2018 was 2242.

North Adelaide, which hosted the Anzac Day game against Norwood, has fed off its premiership triumph to average 3274 fans at Prospect Oval and be the biggest pulling club, followed by the Double Blues on 3252. Norwood and Glenelg also have averaged more than 3000 fans.

The Doubles Blues have proved the most popular club with an average of 3543 at their six games. Adelaide has averaged 2370 without a home game.

The Crows have averaged 2529 for their 96 games since entering the state league in 2014, while it is 2483 for the 33 games at Alberton Oval.

Home crowd averages: North 3274 (2093 in 2018), Sturt 3252 (3575), Norwood 3069 (2897), Glenelg 3045 (2059), Eagles 2203 (2176), West 2147 (1880), Central 2097 (1998), South 1733 (1441), Port 1705 (1956).

All games this season: Sturt 3543 (3175), Norwood 3184 (2660), North 2916 (2275), Glenelg 2864 (2067), Eagles 2414 (2193), Adelaide 2370 (2167), Central 2144 (2010), South 2099 (1756), Port 2078 (2341), West 2036 (1860)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Question for SANFL watchers:

How do you see the "last touch" rule working and should the AFL do it?

(I personally think boundary throw ins are rubbish.)
once you and the umpires get used to it it's fine and barely noticable. im amazed the afl havent implemented it cos you notice how much the game slows when there is a boundary throw in.

WAFL crowds are very low at present too. Many crowds between 1200-1500 with the bigger interest games getting around the 2000 mark. A few weeks ago, we had a crowd of just 275 (getting down into VFL territory there!)

The crowds in the Sunday Times and West Australian usually do the old NSL trick of counting the number of legs at the ground not the people, so it is an embarrassing look for all when a crowd of 'about 1800' in the paper becomes 1125 when it is officially released on the WAFL website (that figure being bolstered by 300 free entries for the Junior Parade Day, where the players and parents from the local junior clubs in their zone make a guard of honour for the senior team when they run out onto the ground).

A significant number of the matches aren't even covered by a journo at the ground anymore - they are usually back in the office watching it on a live stream while filing other reports at the same time and they ring someone at the ground for a crowd figure.

There is a general frustration with the WAFL on many fronts, including zoning, lack of marketing, having only one radio station cover the competition (the ABC and sometimes 6PR jump aboard on Grand Final day), a poor Football Budget, poor crowds and a tendency for WCE and Peel (Freo Reserves) to get their way with decisions - e.g. moving a match off a muddy ground to one with a better surface in the days leading up to a match in order to protect their handful of AFL players.

Last edited:
SANFL could be the weakest it has ever been right now.

In terms of interest and crowds.
There was 10,000+ that turned up to Adelaide Oval last weekend for the Adelaide v Norwood and Sturt v Glenelg games.

As a Port fan I attended a few games at Alberton earlier this season until they relocated the games due to the Alberton redevelopment. Went to one game down at Noarlunga as well where people were just walking in without paying for tickets due to lack of staff/security.

There was 10,000+ that turned up to Adelaide Oval last weekend for the Adelaide v Norwood and Sturt v Glenelg games.

As a Port fan I attended a few games at Alberton earlier this season until they relocated the games due to the Alberton redevelopment. Went to one game down at Noarlunga as well where people were just walking in without paying for tickets due to lack of staff/security.
There was only 8146 for the Adelaide v Norwood and Sturt vs Glenelg games
And the following week there were 8036 for the Adelaide v North and Norwood v Glenelg games.

I haven't seen the crowd as yet for the preliminary final.

The Grand Final should draw well. North vs Norwood in 2018 drew over 40,000 people and I think was the largest crowd of the 21st century to date.
When Norwood and North played in 2013 they drew over 36,000 to the by then outdated Football Park.
The SANFL would be looking for that number to be at least matched.

I think it’s important to play all finals at AO, gives all teams some game time playing there before the GF, especially important if either reserves team is in finals too.
IMO I disagree, should play all home finals at home for those that earn it and build the local atmosphere for the local areas and families etc.

That’s where SANFL could build up and then play the big one at AO.

Absolutely unbelievable result and an amazing day. Wasn’t quite the crowd I would have liked but weather has been garbage and those that were there today made plenty of noise especially where I was. A day not to forget

Pretty scrappy game, lots of skill errors and turnovers but good tight contest. Roosters 0-3 in GF’s this year will hurt, I know it’s a shocking result for a friend who has had a terrible couple of weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back