NO TROLLS Homophobia in the AFL - 4 Corners

Remove this Banner Ad

The media are only reacting to the market.

Rugby League had an openly gay player decades ago and I dont remember anyone caring after the first week. Maybe its as simple as the players deciding its no-ones' business and that is literally all it is.

When it comes to AFLW and even moreso soccer and cricket, no-one cares at how many lesbians there are.

IMO it’s more around the media and corporate attention that will come the players way and how his club will react and handle that, it will need to be a well established player to be brave enough because coaches do not like tall poppys getting attention and distracting from the task at hand.

All the more reason I feel it shouldn't have to be hidden. The AFL are obviously pretty willing to absolutely slam anyone who partakes in homophobic slurs, society isn't gonna get much more accepting than it already is (and social media will always be a dumpster fire one way or another).

For those willing, I hope they can be loud and proud. The AFLW is already enjoying that.

I'd imagine that there are gay afl players, and that it's a bit of an open secret for some of those, in that other players know. Have to feel that given the penalties handed down, inlcuding the 5 games in this instance, that the slur was said to a gay player. Which is why he apologised immediately, and multiple times.

Make it much worse and deserving of the penalty.

Rugby League had an openly gay player decades ago and I dont remember anyone caring after the first week. Maybe its as simple as the players deciding its no-ones' business and that is literally all it is.

When it comes to AFLW and even moreso soccer and cricket, no-one cares at how many lesbians there are.
People are to worried about the cost of living, paying bills and keeping a roof over their head.
No one cares.

BuT iTs ThE mEdIa

"The AFL opted for a harsher penalty for Powell given the proximity to the Finlayson incident in the hope this will deter similar conduct in the future."

So each time a player is charged with a dangerous tackle or a strike or some other thing the penalty should be greater than the one before.

Because that would deter it from happening again.

That's... revisionist. Feel free to look Ian Roberts up. He copped a ton of shit.

Question has to be asked why other types of slurs aren’t being punished. Singling out homophobic comments just highlights the hypocrisy that exists in our society. Australia voted yes to same sex marriage over 6 years ago so its acceptance is no longer in the minority. It should be treated the same as everything else.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Question has to be asked why other types of slurs aren’t being punished. Singling out homophobic comments just highlights the hypocrisy that exists in our society. Australia voted yes to same sex marriage over 6 years ago so its acceptance is no longer in the minority. It should be treated the same as everything else, stop being so ******* woke AFL!
Agreed with the premise but hate the "woke" dog whistle for stuff we dont like lol

Its maddening how much celebration people expect for their sexuality though. Ffs the fact no one cares what you do in the bedroom is equality, that indifference people have is a good thing. Ssm voted in favour of, end the parades and celebrations, you have equality. But this lbgt seems to pick up even more steam now which is truly bizarre so is it equality or a pedestal people want?

Agreed with the premise but hate the "woke" dog whistle for stuff we dont like lol

Its maddening how much celebration people expect for their sexuality though. Ffs the fact no one cares what you do in the bedroom is equality, that indifference people have is a good thing. Ssm voted in favour of, end the parades and celebrations, you have equality. But this lbgt seems to pick up even more steam now which is truly bizarre so is it equality or a pedestal people want?

A lot of people do care what they do in the bedroom though. SSM vote still had almost 40% of the population voting no, plenty of discrimination, abuse and attacks on gay people happen as well.

Heaps of gay people have had to think twice about holding hands with their partner or kissing them in public, whereas a straight couple wouldn't even register a thought about it.

I agree that no one should care though.

That's... revisionist. Feel free to look Ian Roberts up. He copped a ton of s**t.

Yes for a short period of time. The Rugby League world were all behind him.

There are always going to be bigots. The world is full of them. But most people move on with their life.

Far more people took issue with how violent a player he was than the fact that he likes guys.

As a general rule for everyone ?

No idea. Some people get upset over the smallest things, but I wonder how many would choose being bashed for being different over being verbally abused for being different.

I was racially abused many times, never physically. I cant imagine Id have chosen to swap out the verbal stuff for something violent.

"The AFL opted for a harsher penalty for Powell given the proximity to the Finlayson incident in the hope this will deter similar conduct in the future."

So each time a player is charged with a dangerous tackle or a strike or some other thing the penalty should be greater than the one before.

Because that would deter it from happening again.

Ban the fools for life
No place on the game for slurs

As long as it is consistent. But we know it wont be consistent. We know some protected player will get involved and the rules will change.

Look if Dangerfield wants to call someone a Ronald McDonald clown (despite he himself looking like one while surfing in a suit) that's his prerogative!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back