Hobart Football Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh! Ok, I'll let Tom Collier, Mitch Robinson and Jake Gilbee know.;)

I think he means that all the Hobart boys were drafted from Hobart not via AFL Tas pathway, none of the forementioned Lauderdale players were not involved in those programs, Collier and Robbo both Devils/Mariners and Gilbee a Mariner whom did play a fair bot of TSL, ripped us up a couple of times, of course however he does have Hobart lineage as well so maybe the club can 1/10th claim him???

Regarding the club doing something right that is obviously the case however it did come under the Fox regime not the current one, I am a little perplexed as to why the club let go the entire football department bar the colts coach (he was only there one year and is a Kingston chap from all accounts so mad to let him go I suppose) when they kept assisting the development of players getting drafted without AFL Tas pathway input or assistance:confused:

I have heard in the last 2 weeks that they have also lost Owen and J Clark and David Clark has also left and Alcorso wants out and may play school footy and OSFA if he isn't released. Based on the players leaving I believe pretty much the work done by the club over the past 3 seasons to be headed in the right direction has been completely derailed and they will be starting from scratch, the new coach has a real job on his hands this time, good luck my friend, it may be hard to watch unfortunately, at least it wont be on the ABC.

I think he means that all the Hobart boys were drafted from Hobart not via AFL Tas pathway, none of the forementioned Lauderdale players were not involved in those programs, Collier and Robbo both Devils/Mariners and Gilbee a Mariner whom did play a fair bot of TSL, ripped us up a couple of times, of course however he does have Hobart lineage as well so maybe the club can 1/10th claim him???

Regarding the club doing something right that is obviously the case however it did come under the Fox regime not the current one, I am a little perplexed as to why the club let go the entire football department bar the colts coach (he was only there one year and is a Kingston chap from all accounts so mad to let him go I suppose) when they kept assisting the development of players getting drafted without AFL Tas pathway input or assistance:confused:

I have heard in the last 2 weeks that they have also lost Owen and J Clark and David Clark has also left and Alcorso wants out and may play school footy and OSFA if he isn't released. Based on the players leaving I believe pretty much the work done by the club over the past 3 seasons to be headed in the right direction has been completely derailed and they will be starting from scratch, the new coach has a real job on his hands this time, good luck my friend, it may be hard to watch unfortunately, at least it wont be on the ABC.

Yes I know, Howe played at Lauderdale, but only so he could play Mariners at the national championships so had to play TSL to be eligeable, so just saying don't use that as a link, Dodges had more to do with him than Lauderdale. 2/3 games don't count and yes Burbury only played 7 games with Hobart but trained from day one (when available with combining Rowing and school footy) and was unavailable for 2 games with inj and another 4/5 due to the aforementioned school committments so he realistically would have played around 14/15 games and I know for a fact he learnt a massive amount from Brer Fox about the game and the where and when to go's

Recruits 2012

I was wondering if anyone knew who the new recruits HFC had lined up for 2012.

It would be good if someone had some history on any new recruits.:thumbsu:

Re: Recruits 2012

Here are a few for you:
- Alex Hartley from Uni Mobray. Captained Uni Mobray to a premiership and won the competition B&F.
- Dane Colbeck from South Launceston 6ft3 Centre Half Back
- Calvin Philp - Played at Scoresby in Vic in '10 but before that played at Box Hill and Williamstown.
- Tarquin Netherway - From Vic - Played Country Vic last year but came up through the TAC Cup. Played VFL Ressies for the roosters.
- Troy Cunliff - North Hobart small forward.

Just saw on facebook the result from hobarts praccy with south launceston yesterday.... Jesus that is a worry for them and the league as a whole if that was two full strength teams going at it.

looks like the Tigers werent overly truthful in their pre-season thing in the muckery the other day.

the departures list was about half the size it should of been, no mention of willing, floods, quirk etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

looks like the Tigers werent overly truthful in their pre-season thing in the muckery the other day.

the departures list was about half the size it should of been, no mention of willing, floods, quirk etc.

I believe Callum Jeffery & Claude Alcorso have also been cleared to North Hobart.

Do they have any players left???

Hope its not going to be like the old days in the statewide where they had massive margins each week.

Do they have any players left???

Hope its not going to be like the old days in the statewide where they had massive margins each week.

It was AFLTas who dragged Hobart into the TSL when they gutted the Devils team. AFLTas made it plain to the public that the TCA wasnt up to scratch for TSL footy & let it be known that hey would have to move. So the fact that players have left for other clubs is a consequence of AFLTas action. If Hobart get belted then that too must be part of AFLTas planning.

I think it’s a little premature to judge the HFC before the season has even started, perhaps if the score line doesn’t read very well after the first match then fair enough start making some of these comments.

I heard that Hobart were up at quarter time against South Launie in the practice match and only a couple of goals down at half-time. When Hobart took a couple of their better performing players off after half-time and had a side half made up by kids, South really put the foot down including a mammoth last quarter. Please feel free to refute this though if anyone was at the match.

Denny44 I didn’t realise that you followed the career of Calvin Philp when he played for the Box Hill Hawks? You could be right but considering I don’t think he’s played a game in Tasmania yet perhaps it’s a little too early to make a call about his talent?

I think the reason why Hobart didn’t list those players mentioned was because they weren’t cleared from Hobart at the time of the article (in fact I don’t know if Willing, Floods and Quirk have been cleared yet). Just like how North Hobart didn’t list Ben Free going to Hobart as I think the clearance has only just come through.

I don’t think the real issue is Hobart playing from the TCA and it not being up to scratch, it’s more to do with AFLTAS needing to get something back from their massive investment in the oval down at Kingborough. If AFLTAS wanted games played at the best grounds then Launceston and South Launceston would be playing home games from Aurora and Lauderdale would be playing home games from Bellerive. It was not an issue when HFC first joined the competition but it is now being used by AFLTAS to justify their real goal.

I don’t think anyone is going to like this but I have it on decent authority that AFLTAS goal is that the North Hobart Demons or the Hobart Tigers will be not playing in the TSL after the initial 5 year period in their current form. It won’t be an amalgamation of the clubs but a new entity will be playing in the State league representing the city zone made from players of both clubs with separate North Hobart and Hobart team playing in the SFL below this “super side”. It won’t matter if they both play off in consecutive TSL grand finals this is the plan. Whilst I think this is a terrible idea, just listen to the language being used by AFLTAS when they talk about the license issue. If the clubs were smart and worked together instead of being concerned in their own self interest they should tell AFLTAS where to go or band together to vote for a Kingborough based side to enter the competition as the 11th side in the comp and let AFLTAS work out how to arrange the roster.

Has anyone else heard about this?

T]

I don’t think the real issue is Hobart playing from the TCA and it not being up to scratch, it’s more to do with AFLTAS needing to get something back from their massive investment in the oval down at Kingborough. If AFLTAS wanted games played at the best grounds then Launceston and South Launceston would be playing home games from Aurora and Lauderdale would be playing home games from Bellerive. It was not an issue when HFC first joined the competition but it is now being used by AFLTAS to justify their real goal.

I don’t think anyone is going to like this but I have it on decent authority that AFLTAS goal is that the North Hobart Demons or the Hobart Tigers will be not playing in the TSL after the initial 5 year period in their current form. It won’t be an amalgamation of the clubs but a new entity will be playing in the State league representing the city zone made from players of both clubs with separate North Hobart and Hobart team playing in the SFL below this “super side”. It won’t matter if they both play off in consecutive TSL grand finals this is the plan. Whilst I think this is a terrible idea, just listen to the language being used by AFLTAS when they talk about the license issue. If the clubs were smart and worked together instead of being concerned in their own self interest they should tell AFLTAS where to go or band together to vote for a Kingborough based side to enter the competition as the 11th side in the comp and let AFLTAS work out how to arrange the roster.

Has anyone else heard about this?

I cant see this happening. North Hobart has played top line football since 1881. The supporters including politicians like Scott Bacon would be all over this like a rash. The Real AFL makes up clubs like GWS because they have huge buckets of money to pay everyone at the club. To run a TSL club you need volunteers. Where do they get them from?. No I cant see that happening without a very bloody war. Obviously one out of Hobart & North Hobart will get the boot out of the TSL. I just hope whichever club it is isnt destroyed by AFLTas in the process.

From what I was told toward the end of last season there will not be any amalgamation, Nth Board voted unanamously against, Hobart the same I suspect. There was only going to be a Hobart City licence but as with Kingborough that has now changed, Kingborough will be in and Nth Hobart front running for the city licence, unfortunately for Hobart the only chance they had of securing the licence was to win on the field and win often. If Nth stay the zones will remain largely unchanged, if Hobart came in they would change substantially so lots to weigh up for AFL Tas.

Another post on here stated the the HFC is being a little dishonest about ins and outs, I believe it is purely a clearance issue as other clubs the same, Glenorchy for instance have lost many players that are not listed. HFC has lost around 15 senior players from last season with a few in dispute with the club which is a shame but one thing is for sure, the club has themselves to blame with a lot of issues going on behind the scenes last season to do with undermining the then coaching staff, many players were aware and that, I am led to believe, which is why said players left, plus the insecurity of tenure in the league for blokes like Cassidy and Briggs. HFC should drop back to the SFL, get the lights put in and prosper as a lower level club, it is against my personal wishes to stay in the TSL but really the only way I can see them surviving long term. A real shame for a club having had draftees in the last 2 seasons from outside the system and a strong coaching staff and a playing group that were developing. Good luck to the new coach and players, you will need it.

On a brighter side I would be going to the 1st time Lauderdale play Nth Hobart, apparently there is quite a lot of banter between Cassidy and Briggs on FB, neither takes a backward step on the field and I am sure they well clash on game day, just for fun as they are best mates, but neither wil back down, should be entertaining:D

Hobart could win the flag this year and AFL Tasmania would still find a reason to exclude them from the comp. Hobart, over the past several years under the pathetic administration of Phillip Baker have made an awful lot of dreadful mistakes and not been very truthful, but at the end of the day, it's a tad hard to try and make improvements to your club when the very people that are supposedly running the game are actively moving the goalposts on you at every single opportunity to keep you down.
There's been numerous examples over the years and that's probably the most bitterest thing to see. Truth be told, those at Argyle Street are absolute f****** ********s and clearly can't run this comp properly, but our club fell into a dark hole for so many years and the damage has been done.
Personally, I think both Hobart and North should tell AFL Tasmania to stick the TSL up their backside and join the SFL for the time being. It won't look very good for the comp with two very old clubs walking out, being replaced by a Kingborough team that'll lose most of their senior squad because they don't wanna train more than two nights a week, and adding a "new" Hobart City team that'll be Southern Cats Mk II.
This comp already has no telly coverage, no radio coverage, pisspoor attendances, no prestige attatched, is a laughing stock in the eyes of the general football public and has zero public interest. It is very sad. It promised so much more.
Will be lucky to last beyond 2016 in my opinion.

picked up jayde young again !!! offered lots and lots $$ in his face , made the decision too hard to knock back!! mind you alot of d.f is really disapointed!! so he could end up back @shark park ..... he had a real good pre season injury free and had played well in the praccy games, so it is shame to see going to club that want win a game all year

Good on him for having another go at TSL. My mail is that he's on the same amount of money that he was on there a couple of years ago. Round about $150 odd. Not sure I'd be heading back to Dodges any time soon if I were him. Some of the comments made about him have been pretty poor. Fair dinkum, a bloke leaves an SFL club to have a crack at the best league in the state and all he gets is people sniping behind his back. Hopefully Dodges give him his clearance after denying him last week

Remove this Banner Ad

Back