Hobart F.C at the cross roads

Remove this Banner Ad

I have been told there is a section of the HFC committee that is keen to build new club rooms up at the TCA.
I for one would be sad to see them go from the TCA. The surface of the ground was in good nick before the AC/DC concert way back in 2002?? I think the stage etc damaged a lot of the drainage etc. which has never been replaced.

Unfortunately all this current Hobart City Council is only good at is running a food taste fair and a mickey mouse tennis comp mean while Football intrastucture is in serious need at all HCC grounds.
I was told how much sand they have to spread on NH oval each year and was gob smacked

How could they do many repairs to the TCA ground when there is sport on it 24/7. You would need to can either cricket or football up their for a season

How could they do many repairs to the TCA ground when there is sport on it 24/7. You would need to can either cricket or football up their for a season

It is a valid point, the cross roads could be used in the cricket season (except for the lack of a turf pitch- this could be fixed), and work done. But otherwise i am not sure how they would manage.

True but irrelevant, the point is the council should have taken issue with the concert organisers or the band itself. They had massive trucks driving on the ground and carting stuff away and stood back and let it happen. I wonder whether or not the HCC did take issue and were given a handshake and then never used it for the TCA:cool: Now that would be interesting if it were indeed true?

The ground would need to be closed for a period of time but so what, short term pain for the long term benefit of the current users.

As for the idea of this channel/kingborough/huon based team by AFL Tas I would like to pose one question. The players from the country won't play in the TSL feeder teams now (Hobart and Nth Hobart) so what makes AFL Tas think they will if the get their own team? New Norfolk is perfect example, happy to be big fish in small pond. A team from this part of the state just will not work, everyone knows it. The coastal clubs suffer from this year in and out, some of the best coastal footy players play in country based teams because they don't want to travel. Get this into your thick bonce Wadey, joe blogs from Cygnet will not be a long term TSL player, he may play for 1 season but it will all become too hard. The other reason is $$$, at the moment the huon based teams and channell pay whatever they can get to players, salary cap is a laugh. TSL is more regulated (one hopes anyway) so the same thing will happen to their team, locals will play inthe proposed huon league because they will get the lions share of the $$$.

Wade realising press statement with out to consulting the clubs concerned. Now he has pi$$ed Kingborough off.

Kingborough not the only ones pissed off. Channel on the final year of 3 year probation with OSFA not too happy seeing these reports in the paper without any knowledge of the "proposed" HFA revival.

It is a valid point, the cross roads could be used in the cricket season (except for the lack of a turf pitch- this could be fixed), and work done. But otherwise i am not sure how they would manage.

Back ground at the crossroads has a turf pitch. Trust me, it does a bit.
Would need a fair bit of work done to the ground to make it a first-grade venue though.

Re: NEW TSL Ground

Thought I would just pop these links on for anyone who has not seen the clips.

Tour of new ground at Kingborough via Iphone

Clip 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfBi1YjAQfQ

Clip 2 www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEoAQjyhvEw

yeh nice Duff but what is your point? If Hobart goes to Kingston they cease to be Hobart. If they cease to be Hobart it will be on their own terms. It was refreshing to see the Nth Hobart president come out and stand up for his club, pity Hobart's president couldn't do likewise. From what I am told he is the only person at the club wanting to move and he knows he is on the way out. The 4 games reportedly on down there wont even go ahead. Wadey is stuffed and has few options. Let the league settle in for a decade then start changing things AFL Tas and Duff, enough with the Kingston ground stuff, doesn't achieve much at all. TCA a much nicer place to spend an afternoon than Mt Wellington's rainshadow Kingston!

http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2011/02/01/203851_afl.html

So it has become public this badly kept Secret of AFL Tas, to Force Hobart to Kingston or either North Hobart or a new team by 2014 to play in the Scott Wade League.

How true is it that as the article states the old Huon Clubs will pull out of the SFL?

It has now come out that allegedly Scott Wade has been wining and dining Hobart's president Phil Baker for about the last twelve months in regard to this whole Kingborough business.
Not only that, but while these two have been hatching plans at ruling the universe, Hobart keeps losing player after player - now we've lost Blair Kean to Hutchins. Great, there's another one gone!
I can't blame the players for trying to sure up their playing futures because if they don't get a senior game, they still don't know where they're going to be playing. What a mess.
Good on Daryn Perry for sticking up for his club, where was Phil Baker or even that quality AFL Tasmania-appointed, lazy, office-boy, L-plate manager Cam Day (General Manager my backside :mad:) in sticking up for Hobart?
Not a bloody peep..

We still haven't been given the proper financial figures of the club yet, if it wasn't for Sean Sullivan and Grant Butters kicking in tens of thousands of dollars of their hard-earned, the club would've been in even deeper s**t.
The club will continue to blame the TCA Ground and use a host of other frivilous excuses but at the end of the day, there's been little to no fundraising, poor club culture, no enthusiasm, dumb decision-making and continuous ostracisation of supporters and members which has contibuted to the problems.
They keep banging on with this tired "Council won't spend money on the TCA" line, when that's not true.
Hobart City Council has been waiting for the football club to signal its intention to commit to the ground before spending money on it, but the club STILL hasn't, in fact, depending on who you speak to, Baker and Wade have allegedly told the Council not to bother as the club is intending on moving to Kingston.

Can't wait till the first game....

What a mess all this is hey!

Meanwhile Clarence are happily orchestrating another flag and Glenorchy will also give it a real shake.

May as well play the big one now because no-on we will come close to the Roos and Pies.

scott wade is a as---- and alf tas should sack him tassie football be in better shape if he was gone

They can't, he's a supposed 'independent person' as are AFL Tasmania, who were appointed by the AFL in accordance with the Biggs Report after the original TFL Statewide League was liquidated after the 1998 season.
I'd assume the only person qualified to sack him would be Andrew Dimitriou, but he doesn't care about our football - no TV dollars in it for him.

The very idea of a state league is a sound one, but all this constant tinkering with the game, underhanded dealings, stupid decision making etc at a time when public trends continue to show people are less and less likely to attend local football matches (or anything other than live AFL games, an annual ODI or the Car Racing at Symmons Plains), is lunacy.
Why drive your market (the supporters that go each week) away from the game?

One of the biggest hurdles for the original Statewide League was the fact that Clarence, North Hobart and North Launceston won all bar one of the last ten premierships, the public got sick of seeing the same teams winning it every single year.
As it stands at the moment, there are only two clubs capable of winning the 2011 premiership - Clarence and Glenorchy.
Will be interested to see what kind of crowds (the matches not featuring Akermanis) will bring this year.

As it stands at the moment, there are only two clubs capable of winning the 2011 premiership - Clarence and Glenorchy.
Will be interested to see what kind of crowds (the matches not featuring Akermanis) will bring this year.[/quote]

I would like to know how you come to this conclusion, although i agree both teams are a massive chance, i wouldn't count out other sides at this stage. Burnie who only finished 1 or 2 games out of the 6 last year have recruited very well over the summer, given they play Devonport and SOuth Launy 3 times each i would expect them to win those games, plus the games against North Launy as well. They will be up there. Launy were the second best team during the year and struggled at the end, word has it they have Derbeshire playing, they will regain O'Donohue from suspension and Sonny Whiting is back, Launceston will be strong also and more than capable of winning it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It has now come out that allegedly Scott Wade has been wining and dining Hobart's president Phil Baker for about the last twelve months in regard to this whole Kingborough business.
Not only that, but while these two have been hatching plans at ruling the universe, Hobart keeps losing player after player - now we've lost Blair Kean to Hutchins. Great, there's another one gone!
I can't blame the players for trying to sure up their playing futures because if they don't get a senior game, they still don't know where they're going to be playing. What a mess.
Good on Daryn Perry for sticking up for his club, where was Phil Baker or even that quality AFL Tasmania-appointed, lazy, office-boy, L-plate manager Cam Day (General Manager my backside :mad:) in sticking up for Hobart?
Not a bloody peep..

We still haven't been given the proper financial figures of the club yet, if it wasn't for Sean Sullivan and Grant Butters kicking in tens of thousands of dollars of their hard-earned, the club would've been in even deeper s**t.
The club will continue to blame the TCA Ground and use a host of other frivilous excuses but at the end of the day, there's been little to no fundraising, poor club culture, no enthusiasm, dumb decision-making and continuous ostracisation of supporters and members which has contibuted to the problems.
They keep banging on with this tired "Council won't spend money on the TCA" line, when that's not true.
Hobart City Council has been waiting for the football club to signal its intention to commit to the ground before spending money on it, but the club STILL hasn't, in fact, depending on who you speak to, Baker and Wade have allegedly told the Council not to bother as the club is intending on moving to Kingston.

Can't wait till the first game....

no arguements Kingpin but Blair Kean hasn't gone to Hutchins, he is in WA working, only place he could get a job with his Quals. When he comes back he will be a Tiger, they hope! Good numbers on the track last week too mate and still apparently close to signing some new recruits, will be better than last season, especially when Larry "the Tassie Hawk" Owen gets back on board once Marniers are over. You are right though, the club has some issues that are in dire need of a change, all from board level, you interested??

scott wade is a as---- and alf tas should sack him tassie football be in better shape if he was gone

Who do you think could take over Wade's role?...Maybe Steve Allie? Wayne Povey?......is there anyone out there??? Let's throw some names up!!:cool:

Who do you think could take over Wade's role?...Maybe Steve Allie? Wayne Povey?......is there anyone out there??? Let's throw some names up!!:cool:

There are plenty of people out there that could fill Wades role. But they are men of integrity. How many times has Wade screwed clubs over and been allowed to get away with it. Some of the present day presidents need to take a stand and make Wade accountable. Not sit and sweat and shake when Scott speaks.Mark Thurlow would be a good guy to get. Thats right he's gone. Couldn't put up the the b####t Wayne Povey? Steve Allie? Dear or dear

Meanwhile Clarence are happily orchestrating another flag and Glenorchy will also give it a real shake.

May as well play the big one now because no-on we will come close to the Roos and Pies.

Glenorchy have a super draw only 2 games in the north of the state. Will help. Clarence will fall away enough to make them vulnerable. Burnie will make it because they play Devonport and South Launy 6 times but will bomb out first week of the finals Launceston may improve if they can find the hunger of a few years ago. North Hobart it seem are slipping under the guard of all the clubs down here. All the news and rightly so is about Glenorchy. North are getting a good list together that will seriously give them a big chance this year. For me it will be a N/hobart Glenorchy final

dont no about that duff.launy, north hobart and burnie wll also be a chance.but that would be my five.

Hopefully all parties can get their act together. Love the TCA ground, reckon it's an awesome venue for footy, just needs a bit of love (ie. money spent on it).

As for Hobart, they had a good young list last year - sure they missed playing finals - but they got two players onto AFL lists (Howe and Burbury) and if they can keep some of that young group together why can't they be competitive this year?

Numbers at training have actually been pretty good butcherboy, with about 30+ players being capable senior standard players and about another 5 -8 youngster’s who could make the step up if called upon. With no reserves in support I think a lot of clubs not just Hobart will be in a bit of trouble if there are injuries to key players.

They were alright at the weekend. Played a pretty handy side in Old Melbournians and did ok. They will still struggle this year no doubt about it, but the results might not be as bad as everyone thinks. Keeping Aaron Hall helps big time.

I have heard the lights for the TCA are just a formality now.

I spoke to a bloke at the Nth Hbt club rooms last week and he reckons someone has been working hard in the background on this one and that lights for Nth Hobart Oval is also getting closer.

Gee it would be good to get both of these projects up and running.

They were alright at the weekend. Played a pretty handy side in Old Melbournians and did ok. They will still struggle this year no doubt about it, but the results might not be as bad as everyone thinks. Keeping Aaron Hall helps big time.
I thought Hobart looked reasonably good in patches on Saturday.
Obviously it's only very early days and I have no idea how OM's have been as a side in recent years or what their prospects are for this year, but in the first quarter or so our ball movement was poor, our disposal was very ordinary and we looked very out of sorts.
But from midway through the second quarter until maybe 8 minutes into the last quarter (four 20-minute quarters) I thought we moved the ball well, I thought our disposal and run and carry was quite good and we played all over OM's.
The nature of the matches on that day was fairly low-scoring games, and we got out to an 8.5 (53) to 5.3 (33) lead and from that point, stopped dead.
Fell back into old habits and were run over accordingly.
Interesting to see Simon Taylor, recently cut from Hawthorn playing in the ruck for the Redlegs, there were at least four ex-Hobart players also playing for them and it was Matthew Wright, who played for us during the late 90's and into the 2000's that kicked the sealer with 30 seconds to go in the match. He'd have to be a fair age Wrighty, at least 35?
I think the two clubs are looking at forming some sort of partnership in the years to come, we will probably play a pre-season game over there next year.
Would be good anyway, seem like a top bunch of fellas.

Old Melbournians had some of their top players out but Hobart were missing Cassidy and few other senior players as well so were not at top strength. Also Hobart brought on a lot of youngsters in the second half of the last quarter which coincided with OM’s late run over the top. It was Hobart’s first practice match and with a lot of young players there was predictably a lot of nerves shown and a lot of their early turnovers resulted in OM’s goals, but they did show a bit as the game wore on and there were some really good signs.
Hobart have South Launceston this weekend so that will probably be a better gauge of how they will go this season. It will be tough to make the finals due to the structure of the competition having to play both Clarence and Glenorchy 3 times each, but they will surprise teams if underestimated and won’t fail to win a game as suggested by some.
P.s. Kingpin I think Wrighty is only in his early 30s he just started up at HFC at a young age.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back