Resource History of AFL Grand Final Artwork

Remove this Banner Ad

why do they put "home" team on the right rather than the left? Is is just cause its closer to the rooms they walk out of and where they stand for the anthems?
Seriously couldnt tell you mate, i have no idea why the AFL does that

Another year upon us and as promised, I've gone back to update previous images to reflect the new template and include the ball designs and adjust the 50m arc logo sizes. So far I've only done the AFL era. I won't be doing ball designs prior to 1990 as they were just regular footballs with nothing particularly interesting about them, but I will update the VFL-era template at some stage. Some of the 90's balls were a little hard to get clear and definitive images of, so I've used best guess on what I could see. If anybody spots any issues, feel free to hit me up with the evidence so I can update.

One interesting thing I noticed that I missed when I first did these, is that the 50m arcs at Waverley in 1991 actually had three '50's on them! The camera was in a horrible position there being to the right of centre wing, so the angles played tricks on me.

Also with the West Coast logos in 2005/06, I thought they had been squashed both years to fit in the gap, but they actually only did that for 2005. In 2006 they had it at its proper ratio. I've also double checked which years had the arcs stop before the logo, and which has them going behind the logo. 2010 was weird as the arc goes behind the ribbons of the St Kilda logo but not behind the main body of it, while the Collingwood logo has the standard stops with the white end. Very peculiar.

Our logo should be on the left as we are the designated "home" team"
Based on room positions like 2022 you come out of the rooms closer to the right of screen end so your logo is on the right.

Found it odd that the field design had the 'new' Telstra brand colours of blue and orange, but that the match ball had the old white and sky blue.

why do they put "home" team on the right rather than the left? Is is just cause its closer to the rooms they walk out of and where they stand for the anthems?

Seriously couldnt tell you mate, i have no idea why the AFL does that

Our logo should be on the left as we are the designated "home" team"

Based on room positions like 2022 you come out of the rooms closer to the right of screen end so your logo is on the right.

So I think I finally cracked the code of why the logos are the "wrong" way around, and if I'm right its actually pretty simple and can't believe I didn't figure it out earlier.

They match up with the bench position!

The teams line up for the anthem in front of their respective benches, so they paint the on-field logos to match, so that the teams line up alongside the correct logos as well. If they put the logos how we would consider to be correct, the teams would either line up next to the wrong logo, or have to cross over each other when going to/from the benches. Its basically purely a logistical thing as I suspected, it just took me a while to figure out exactly what that logistical thing is.

In the image below, the stats on the LED screens above the benches match the position of the benches. I believe (though don't go to enough games to be 100% sure) that the home team always has the left bench, which is actually to the right of screen.

If it was me organising it, even if just for the GF only I'd switch the benches so that the logos end up looking correct, as far more people see them than see the benches. But its probably not something the AFL really think or care much about.

MCG Benches.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back