Heathcote District FL

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rosco5 said:
Tige, played LBU round 4, they beat us in 10 minutes of footy in the 2nd when they kicked 6 and won the game by 7. Any info greatly appreciated though !! Next play them Rd 13 July 2nd.
Jock, play White Hills this week at home, will again be missing a few more but who knows, will need to play extremely well I am thinking to get over them.
Ant, Loz did turn the game with his ruckwork and 2nd and 3rd efforts. It was his first game back from a quaddie and concussion and he is still finding his feet a bit so I am prepared to give him a lot of time. His tackling and attack on the ball are great and his attitude around the club is fantastic ... although he hasn't put in a blinder yet ..

Didn't realise it was his first game back for a while Rosco, but I still think your being a bit too kind to him in accessing his game. Yes his Ruckwork was fairly good, as it should be. But his efforts around the ground and his workrate off the ball was second-rate IMO.

rosco i think if you can find the right match up for Mitchell expose their backlines lack of pace and tag Dobson you would be on the right track in beating them.

madtiger said:
rosco i think if you can find the right match up for Mitchell expose their backlines lack of pace and tag Dobson you would be on the right track in beating them.
Agreed, they are a good side but obviously can be beaten with the right match-ups. Played White Hills on the w/end, beat us by 25 pts but rated LBU better.

Hey Rosco, now that youve played the top 3 teams so far id be interested how you rate them all. !Mounts hillie and lbu)

Rosco5 said:
Agreed, they are a good side but obviously can be beaten with the right match-ups. Played White Hills on the w/end, beat us by 25 pts but rated LBU better.

thats interesting cos white hills gave LBU a huge touch up in round one. I think that locky rely heavily on Mitchell he has kicked bags in all of the wins. It would be interesting to see if they can win without his influence.

madtiger said:
thats interesting cos white hills gave LBU a huge touch up in round one. I think that locky rely heavily on Mitchell he has kicked bags in all of the wins. It would be interesting to see if they can win without his influence.
Apparently White Hills had a few out but then again so have most sides, including us, at various times and you're only as good as your depth. I certainly rated LBU a good side, then Mounts then White Hills. LBU are a better running side than WH, Mounts certainly have more potency in their run game, delivery and forward set up (in the games we have played). I think those 3 sides are the ones to fight it out from what I have seen but I certainly believe, and hope, that we would be able to match it with them when we get to full strength (if we ever do!) and there are other sides who will upset a few apple carts along the way including Elmore. We only set ourselves the task of playing finals and we'll take it from there .....

Good attitude to have hopefully you can make the finals this year and retain all your players and get a couple more next year and give it a real shake. Echuca United who i have been watching a bit of are in the same boat, they have had a couple of KPP go down with injuries including Simon Mcarty and just can't seem to be able to play at full strength. They also prob also need 2 or 3 more class players to be able to really cement themselves as a true contender.

madtiger said:

Gee's you make it sound pretty easy to shut a guy down who's kicked nearly 40 goals in 6 games there tige. How do you think most teams should go about it?? You dont think that he's kicked all of the goals as a result of the supply from the midfielders by any chance as well??

purple hills said:
Gee's you make it sound pretty easy to shut a guy down who's kicked nearly 40 goals in 6 games there tige. How do you think most teams should go about it?? You dont think that he's kicked all of the goals as a result of the supply from the midfielders by any chance as well??

He is not your traditional full forward PH he is more a quick crumbing type I thinkif you can find a match up that has his legspeed as well as a bit of physicality you would be able to dampen his influence. Also by having another defender/ruckman drop back and invade his space. I also said Dobson would need to be tagged as he is a ball magnet in the midfield he won the league B&F a while back.

madtiger said:
He is not your traditional full forward PH he is more a quick crumbing type I thinkif you can find a match up that has his legspeed as well as a bit of physicality you would be able to dampen his influence. Also by having another defender/ruckman drop back and invade his space. I also said Dobson would need to be tagged as he is a ball magnet in the midfield he won the league B&F a while back.
I can back you up on both those calls madtige. the quantity of goals mitchell has kicked over the past 5 seasons or so has amazed me but then again we must realise that he has kicked these bags in minor leagues. he had a crack (returned to) in the gv a couple of seasons back and had not near the same influence mainly due (I think) to the added physicality that comes with playing in the gv and defenders being more accountable to him. this is not to take anything away from him as he can obviously play - it's just that from what I have seen of him I think a physical, accountable and smart defender can restrict his influence in a big way. as for dobson, yes he is a very good player and needs to be paid attention to - no question about that.

jmain14 said:
I can back you up on both those calls madtige. the quantity of goals mitchell has kicked over the past 5 seasons or so has amazed me but then again we must realise that he has kicked these bags in minor leagues. he had a crack (returned to) in the gv a couple of seasons back and had not near the same influence mainly due (I think) to the added physicality that comes with playing in the gv and defenders being more accountable to him. this is not to take anything away from him as he can obviously play - it's just that from what I have seen of him I think a physical, accountable and smart defender can restrict his influence in a big way. as for dobson, yes he is a very good player and needs to be paid attention to - no question about that.

Sorry guys i didnt mean to take anything away from the guy, what i was getting at is that the opposition coach would attempt to shut him down each week i dare say. And so far they all appear to have been unsuccesful so easier said then done. Not every team will have a good match up for him in the HDFL and if the midfield keeps pumping the ball in there he's bound to kick 5 or 6 each week.

purple hills said:
Sorry guys i didnt mean to take anything away from the guy, what i was getting at is that the opposition coach would attempt to shut him down each week i dare say. And so far they all appear to have been unsuccesful so easier said then done. Not every team will have a good match up for him in the HDFL and if the midfield keeps pumping the ball in there he's bound to kick 5 or 6 each week.

The thing with a player like him is he is best with the ball on the ground with space to run into if you can limit his space he and make him really earn his kicks he will struggle to have the same impact. A couple of Murray league clubs around the Echuca area spoke to him and apparantley was concerned about them being to 'intense' so the GV would have been way to physical for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any of you people seen huntly play and how far off the pace are they.Really havent improved over the last few years most dissapointing.

a4brianp said:
Any of you people seen huntly play and how far off the pace are they.Really havent improved over the last few years most dissapointing.
A4BP, Huntly have got some good running on-ballers and seem to be far more competitive than in recent years. They will push a lot os dies for 1/2 to 3/4's but probably don't have the depth to cover any losses as their 2's are struggling.

Hey Rosco what happened to you guys on saturday, I had yous pencilled in for a win. Were they good, yous bad or a bit of both?

diggidog said:
Hey Rosco what happened to you guys on saturday, I had yous pencilled in for a win. Were they good, yous bad or a bit of both?
They have recruited fairly well and played well, we played like dogs in the first 1/2, got a humungous spray and came from 7-8 goals down to be within 2 at 3/4 time, petrol tickets used up and got done. We missed a lot of set shots and played a fairly poor game, 20 minutes of footy will not win anyone a game against anybody. So, yeah, a bit of both. Got to be realistic about it though, I had us pencilled in for a win also but you never know do you, it is a strange game and if the boys haven't got the footy heads on it's a long day in the coaches box !!

Rosco5 said:
They have recruited fairly well and played well, we played like dogs in the first 1/2, got a humungous spray and came from 7-8 goals down to be within 2 at 3/4 time, petrol tickets used up and got done. We missed a lot of set shots and played a fairly poor game, 20 minutes of footy will not win anyone a game against anybody. So, yeah, a bit of both. Got to be realistic about it though, I had us pencilled in for a win also but you never know do you, it is a strange game and if the boys haven't got the footy heads on it's a long day in the coaches box !!

I went to watch White hills mounts, real good standard game. How do you rate Heathcote then compared to the rest of the 5?

They will go oka on their day but I don't think they have the 'big gu8ns' to go with the top 3. Their full forward and two others in the fwd line did well, on-ballers ok and a good strong mobile ruckman, they'll do ok if they don't have any injuries.

Where have all the HDFL posts gone ?? I feel like I'm talking to myself out here in cyberspace ..... maybe I am, you know what they say ! :p

Rosco5 said:
Where have all the HDFL posts gone ?? I feel like I'm talking to myself out here in cyberspace ..... maybe I am, you know what they say ! :p
yeah what is happening with this thread?? would be interested to hear how smokey rathjen is getting on at colbo (diggidog/gohoppers)...

how is lorrie going rosco??

Can anyone tell me how Denis Ryan is going at Mount Pleasant?

There was mention of Mounts spending up big earlier this year, does anyone know if the locals are getting a run or are they all imported players?

shagger said:
Can anyone tell me how Denis Ryan is going at Mount Pleasant?

There was mention of Mounts spending up big earlier this year, does anyone know if the locals are getting a run or are they all imported players?

Yeah Denis Ryan is coming second in the league goalkicking, kicked about 40 i think. There is plenty of imports in the team and while theres not many locals in the team, there are hardly any locals to choose from. The thirds have had to disband this year i think due to lack of numbers

I lived there in the late 70s and they were fielding decent junior sides.
The population would have doubled since then. :confused:
Very sad for a proud club. :(

Is Denis Ryan playing as a permanent forward?

shagger said:
I lived there in the late 70s and they were fielding decent junior sides.
The population would have doubled since then. :confused:
Very sad for a proud club. :(

Is Denis Ryan playing as a permanent forward?

Yeah nearly all the time. He could just about still dominate anywhere though. It is sad for the thirds, you cant go on forever without them I suppose. Im sure they'll be back soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back