patfullfankezz

Puhuhuhuhu!
Jul 28, 2011
Brisbane!
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Heat, Wigan Athletic
Just so we're not taking over the Random Thread on the main board. Just a thread for us to pump each other up and support each other through difficult times or trying to achieve goals.

That being said, right now I'd happily trade Dayne Beams for a Longbeach Original. Or even a Deal Red. Hell, I'd happily smoke Deal Purple right now, just give me a bloody ciggie!!!!!!!!!!!!

My old man did me a huge favor when I was 12 years old and my brother 10, he caught us smoking. We got a huge flogging and were forced to smoke a whole cigarette with the full drawback, we were sick as dogs. Neither of us ever touched another cigarette ever again.

Good luck with your efforts Pat, and MM.

Unfortunately most of my family were smokers, and somehow I got addicted without touching a smoke (I've only been smoking for the past 12 months, but I've had the cravings for as long as I can remember). Not fair.

Get off the darts kezza, they are the worst things ever. I was lucky enough as well when my old man said to me when I was 17 "Mate you can either live at home or you can smoke, you can't do both" I had no money and no other living options, so the smokes were always held up as a drug you should never touch. A pity beer wasn't painted in the same light! ha ha

Fifth day today, get the urge at least once or twice a day but it goes quickly....my morning coffee's are ruined now, tastes terrible.

Leaving next week for trip to Qld, Mr MM excited, reckons we'll get there a day earlier now we're not stopping every 5 mins (his opinion) for a smoke! He gave up years ago so don't smoke in the car now..

The prescription tablets (Zyban) I'm taking are making me sick this time around, no trouble with them at all last time. As soon as I feel I've conquered the want for a ciggy, I'll stop taking them....not sleeping well, nauseous and dizzy.

Keep going Kezz, it's tough but you're doing a good job. As they say, one day at a time!:thumbsu::)

I wonder if it's not so much the nicotine as it is just part of the whole routine of getting up, going outside and having a smoke by the River. Meh. New job next week within walking distance of home, so I'll get plenty of time by the River soon.

Third day without a dart. Have eaten that many tomatoes I'll be turning red soon.

At least my cat is being supportive.

Life goal- To do more travelling in my retirement.

Going to New Zealand in November and spending 10 days based in Queenstown, already booked in to do a 3 day walk along the Routeburn Trek, also scheduled a bungee jump, tandem sky dive and white water rafting. I've been tossing up a few other activities but would be interested to hear from anyone who has been to the South Island of NZ and experienced it first hand, recommendations?

Love the awesomeness of nature

Sounds very exciting! Have wanted to go to NZ for ages, but never seem to get there.

I also think you are a lot fitter than us.....and I agree about nature, can't beat being out in the open surrounded bird song or looking at the big sky at night with all its stars etc..

Life goal- To do more travelling in my retirement.

Going to New Zealand in November and spending 10 days based in Queenstown, already booked in to do a 3 day walk along the Routeburn Trek, also scheduled a bungee jump, tandem sky dive and white water rafting. I've been tossing up a few other activities but would be interested to hear from anyone who has been to the South Island of NZ and experienced it first hand, recommendations?

Love the awesomeness of nature
Went to NZ August last year, South Island is definitely great for some sightseeing. We just don't have scenery in Australia like you can find in Queenstown.

Going up the chairlift on a clear day gets you views like this TOM03067.JPG
Think I spent a better part of day just walking around up there taking in the sights. Wanaka is a nice lake town about an hour north that we went to as well. We squeezed North and South Island into 2 weeks and probably could have spent more time in Queenstown. Took the KJet jet boat tour which felt like the better option as you get all the speed and thrills but also a longer tour up the river. Didn't go on the Shotover jetboat but apparently its shorter but more intense.

Oh and used this site a fair bit while over there to get some good deals on activities https://www.bookme.co.nz/things-to-do/queenstown/home . Saved 200 bucks on a photography tour by having poor planning and panicking at the last second.

Went to Milford Sound too but it's a full day (5 hours on the bus to get out there, 1 hour cruise, 5 hours to get back or something along those lines) but the bus ride out there is rather scenic. I've heard Doubtful Sound is the better of the two, less touristy but didn't go there to find out. The scale of those sheer cliffs is just ridiculous to cruise through TOM03360.JPG

Last edited:
I've taken my family on 2 trips to NZ, we love the place. The drive into Queenstown is phenomenal and it is such a beautiful place. I'm really pleased we went to Christchurch, it must've been a beautiful city before the quake and we said we look forward to returning once it has been completely rebuilt as it was still a massive construction site. Dunedin was a nice little city as well with some great lookouts and an excellent brewery called Emersons. The Cadbury factory tour was the highlight for the kids in Dunedin.

On the North Island we loved Wellington, such a quaint and compact city. We visited Mt Ruapehu and stayed in a lovely town called Ohakune, we stayed in a Yurt and that was very interesting.

You sound like you are going all out adventure Jason, you'll love it, enjoy the NZ pinot, it is in abundance over there, my kids also got a hankering for venison as well in NZ.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trying to start a new job that's very full-on (they're understaffed and have been for a while) after leaving a job where I had been for 10 years (my entire adult life) is not the best time to quit smoking (obvious statement is obvious).

So I've decided to cut myself some slack. Come September, when the Lions aren't playing and I'm settled in my new job I'm going to try again, and this time I'm going to take the time to properly plan it out instead of thinking it will just happen.

Trying the Nicorette inhaler. Novelty is interesting, I'll say that much. Otherwise it's disgusting lol

I wasn't actively trying to quit, but I changed to not being on any daily antidepressants and suddenly the cravings just disappeared. I do occasionally have k me because the girlfriend still smokes but I haven't bought a packet in two months and have started spending my money on guitar related stuff instead... I'm at the "all the gear, no idea" stage.

4 days straight at the gym...at least it gets me out of the house right? #ithurts

I've for most of my adult life been a health nut, exercise and diet.

I only just started doing Bikram Yoga a month ago and it's fantastic, very challenging poses but it greatly enhances flexibility and general well-being, I'd recommend it.

The only drawback for me is that I've had to scale back my running to 2 8km runs a week to fit the Yoga in.

I'm also ATM doing a meditation class/course one night a week for 8 weeks, always wanted and tried to meditate but have never been able to, I thought it was about time I consulted an expert.

Chest press machine can go and four asterisk itself. Otherwise I'm starting to enjoy the challenge of regular gym attendance.

Best part is my after-gym treat - an hour walk along the Brisbane River.

Chest press machine can go and four asterisk itself. Otherwise I'm starting to enjoy the challenge of regular gym attendance.

Best part is my after-gym treat - an hour walk along the Brisbane River.
I walk/run along side the Brisbane River quite regularly, Brisbane Corso down near Yeronga Devils footy club, nice walking track, some weekdays I can go for a walk along there during the day and it's like a ghost town, nobody else around. You wouldn't think you were only 5km from the CBD. Paradise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back