HDFL Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Big news from Harrow hierarchy, Harry Griffiths (g-train or hag daddy) as he’s more commonly known; has been training the house down this pre-season and is due for a seniors birth with some saying he will hit the heights of previous greats of the club. big if true.
will definitely be watching with a close eye this upcoming season.

Season is just around the corner. Whats all the news around the league? Which teams hav recruited well? Who are the teams to beat? Any clubs that’ll potentially struggle? How are clubs with reserves and 17s numbers this year?

Two clubs acting responsibly. Just a chat to mutually gauge the lay of the land.

A few clubs statewide should be doing something similar. Maryborough Rovers and Royal Park have done it and then decided that the time was right to merge. No doubt officials at other clubs will sit down over a latte over the next few months.

Last edited:
I like that idea.
What was the SMFL's rep colours?
They used to form part of the North Central Football District with North Central and i think Northern Mallee. NCFD won the Caltex country championship in 1974 and im pretty sure Boozer Robertson and one of the Browns from Ouyen and Walpeup respectfully were involved in that victory and in later years the likes of Rollo Burns etc from the southern mallee were involved. North Central punched well above their weight in inter league, rolling a cocky Bendigo late 80s and pushing Ovens and Murray in a close loss at Donald in the same period. Colours were red and white

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have heard many rumours on mergers over the last 6 months. Some based in fact, others not so much for sure. Can anyone shed up to date light on any of these?

JR/ Giants: real chance?

Laharum/ TL: Laharum knocked it back?

TL/ Rup: Rup considering?

Swifts/ Navarre: not in 2024 but still talking?

Swifts/ Rup: potential but neither clubs first option?

EA/ Border districts: every year this gets talked about?

KLU/ Nhill or back to SA: as above

Kalkee/ Warrack: only heard this recently, more a potential long term option apparently.

I have heard that this is a possibility and they might end up in North Central.

Probably more likely now than ever. Heard that EA may struggle for numbers next year and BD may be receptive to a merger having won the KNT flag this year - they were supposedly making one last strong push for a flag this season.

Have heard many rumours on mergers over the last 6 months. Some based in fact, others not so much for sure. Can anyone shed up to date light on any of these?

Laharum/ TL: Laharum knocked it back?

TL/ Rup: Rup considering?

Swifts/ Navarre: not in 2024 but still talking?

Swifts/ Rup: potential but neither clubs first option?

KLU/ Nhill or back to SA: as above

Kalkee/ Warrack: only heard this recently, more a potential long term option apparently.
Stawell Swifts - Stawell Warriors

Taylors Lake - Horsham Saints

Laharum - Horsham Demons

Minyip Murtoa - Rupanyup

Edenhope - Harrow

Nhill - Kaniva

Jeparit Rainbow - Giants

Pimpinio - Dimboola

Kalkee - Warrack

Ararat - Great Western

Natimuk - Noradjuha/Quantong

I’d love to see one league after these mergers. Would be really strong senior and reserve sides getting around

Stawell Swifts - Stawell Warriors

Taylors Lake - Horsham Saints

Laharum - Horsham Demons

Minyip Murtoa - Rupanyup

Edenhope - Harrow

Nhill - Kaniva

Jeparit Rainbow - Giants

Pimpinio - Dimboola

Kalkee - Warrack

Ararat - Great Western

Natimuk - Noradjuha/Quantong

I’d love to see one league after these mergers. Would be really strong senior and reserve sides getting around
You've got more hope for peace in the middle east than these two merging.

You'd be better off with Navarre with one and Great Western with the other. In saying that Swifts and Great Western don't necessarily have a friendly relationship either from years of rivalry.

You'd be better off with Navarre with one and Great Western with the other. In saying that Swifts and Great Western don't necessarily have a friendly relationship either from years of rivalry.
Minyip and Murtoa hated each other aswell. that worked out ok

Beulah and Hopetoun weren’t exactly sending each other Christmas cards

Looking from afar, would I be right in saying the Minyip-Murtoa and Beulah-Hopetoun situations were a little worse than the long list provided above.

I was of the belief that the M-M merger came from a realisation by both clubs that things weren't going to be any better and that a merger would help set up football and netball in the region to prevent decline and keep sport strong in the region for future decades.

Was the B-H union due to declining players or was it for some other reason?

Have also heard Farr coaching Laharum but also heard they have some giants lined up.
Heard pekin to Horsham too but would be surprised with that.
The only talk I’ve heard seems to be about who Horsham and Laharum have picked up. Both clubs cracking in it would seem.

Any word on coaching announcements?
Pimp: fair coup in Guy Smith. Building nicely on last few years
Warrack would be rapt with Walder.
TL signed Beuglar, not sure he’s the answer
Kalkee gone with the prodigal son

I have heard that this is a possibility and they might end up in North Central.

Probably more likely now than ever. Heard that EA may struggle for numbers next year and BD may be receptive to a merger having won the KNT flag this year - they were supposedly making one last strong push for a flag this
Looking from afar, would I be right in saying the Minyip-Murtoa and Beulah-Hopetoun situations were a little worse than the long list provided above.

I was of the belief that the M-M merger came from a realisation by both clubs that things weren't going to be any better and that a merger would help set up football and netball in the region to prevent decline and keep sport strong in the region for future decades.

Was the B-H union due to declining players or was it for some other reason?

Merger of Jeparit/Rainbow and Southern mallee posted on Jeparit facebook page on Friday no mention of what league they will play in

Remove this Banner Ad

Back