HDFL PreSeason 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

GG Rides Again

All Australian
Apr 20, 2007
Intangible
AFL Club
Hawthorn
With Derrick coaching Mounts it has taken about 2 seconds to sign a couple of recruits in Kain Robbins and Matt Gretgrix. Handy HDFL players to say the least. The crops must look good around Mounts this year.

With Derrick coaching Mounts it has taken about 2 seconds to sign a couple of recruits in Kain Robbins and Matt Gretgrix. Handy HDFL players to say the least. The crops must look good around Mounts this year.
If the mail is correct add Tim Hill to them as well

All speculation.. Will take a lot to get them there.. Richards also checking out the tin shed with his girlfriend already there and Trelly a big chance too.

Rick Ladson to be named Elmore's coach this week..

That's a fair kick in the guts to Eaglehawke considering if Eaglehawke didn't give Filo an open check book to buy a flag he would have two less premiership medallions.
Filo should have atleast the respect to not poach players from former clubs that paid him very handsomely to coach them, yes he delivered good results, except his recent stint at Kyneton.

That's a fair kick in the guts to Eaglehawke considering if Eaglehawke didn't give Filo an open check book to buy a flag he would have two less premiership medallions.
Filo should have atleast the respect to not poach players from former clubs that paid him very handsomely to coach them, yes he delivered good results, except his recent stint at Kyneton.

Yeah agree, however until we know what discussions have taken place dont reckon we can rail him for securing (if in fact he gets them) players that would field queries every year from clubs all over. Did he approach them? And the players have a choice who they play for and under. They obviously have a level of respect for him. Hes employed to coach a team and deliver results and has a pretty good record of success doing so. Whether we like it or not similar to AFL on a much smaller scale of course footy is becoming a business with expanding cash needs. Hes probably doing what we would all do and thats get the best to achieve results. Tough one.

Yeah agree, however until we know what discussions have taken place dont reckon we can rail him for securing (if in fact he gets them) players that would field queries every year from clubs all over. Did he approach them? And the players have a choice who they play for and under. They obviously have a level of respect for him. Hes employed to coach a team and deliver results and has a pretty good record of success doing so. Whether we like it or not similar to AFL on a much smaller scale of course footy is becoming a business with expanding cash needs. Hes probably doing what we would all do and thats get the best to achieve results. Tough one.

A good coach would go to Mounts & improve them with the already have, fact is Filo has bought a lot of his coaching success, same as his brother, he didn't improve Kyneton much cos he couldn't lure a heap of recruits with words of cash.
He's definitely worth employing just for the recruiting if nothing else.
Don't get me wrong, I rate Derrick highly as a coach, but just think he looses credibility for raping a former club of the key players, if they ring him up wanting to play there then that's a different story but I didn't see them in Kyneton jumper hence I believe Derrick would have poached them to mounts.

A good coach would go to Mounts & improve them with the already have, fact is Filo has bought a lot of his coaching success, same as his brother, he didn't improve Kyneton much cos he couldn't lure a heap of recruits with words of cash.
He's definitely worth employing just for the recruiting if nothing else.
Don't get me wrong, I rate Derrick highly as a coach, but just think he looses credibility for raping a former club of the key players, if they ring him up wanting to play there then that's a different story but I didn't see them in Kyneton jumper hence I believe Derrick would have poached them to mounts.

Like I said - did he call them?All clubs recruit to improve. To say he could win it with what Mounts had last year? Cant make wine from water. We all assume on here (most of the time) and like when I upgraded from a crappy Toyota Corolla to a nice new Commodore years ago. It cost me a bit extra. How much? Kyneton in same league perhaps explains them not following there.

White Hills picked up a few handy recruits for 2014 my tip for a big improver in 2014

Heard this for the past 5 years!
They need to target a decent Bendigo player to coach or be assistant , pay him overs to get him on the basis he will bring some quality players with him on unders to balance things out.
Would Rick Coburn be a chance to return as coach?

Heard this for the past 5 years!
They need to target a decent Bendigo player to coach or be assistant , pay him overs to get him on the basis he will bring some quality players with him on unders to balance things out.
Would Rick Coburn be a chance to return as coach?

Agree with everything you have said. Rick would be unable to coach or be officially involved at any club due to his new role with AFL Vic Country as a development officer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well don't know about u gentlemen but I can't wait for the day when mounts goes broke
I would not hold my breath. Thirty years & more ago they paid huge sums of money & won premiership again & again. The last few years they would be very disappointed. Not sure which farmers put the money in but I have never heard of them being broke. I would have thought that it might be more than $2000 for Robins & mate!! & they will buy more!! They want a premiership.

I would not hold my breath. Thirty years & more ago they paid huge sums of money & won premiership again & again. The last few years they would be very disappointed. Not sure which farmers put the money in but I have never heard of them being broke. I would have thought that it might be more than $2000 for Robins & mate!! & they will buy more!! They want a premiership.

They sure did.. I remember playing against blokes of the ilk of Peter white, John Craig, mick oshea (yes im old) just to name a few... Some of the teams they put on the park in those days would have given a lot of BFL teams a run for there money

Plenty of talk about Mounts having a dip and that they look set to do but they need plenty of top liners like the boys from the BFL. LBU didn't just win 3 in a row and the last two with relative ease for nothing they have one of the best local bases at District League atm. Leitchville will be more than a top 5 proposition one would think and great to hear White Hills are on the march as well the comp wasn't overly interesting this year with North Bendigo the worst performed top 3 side I can remember for a long time... Lost 9 or so games for the year. Massina will be one of the oldest Coaches going around next year what's the vibe on how the Dogs will go?

Plenty of talk about Mounts having a dip and that they look set to do but they need plenty of top liners like the boys from the BFL. LBU didn't just win 3 in a row and the last two with relative ease for nothing they have one of the best local bases at District League atm. Leitchville will be more than a top 5 proposition one would think and great to hear White Hills are on the march as well the comp wasn't overly interesting this year with North Bendigo the worst performed top 3 side I can remember for a long time... Lost 9 or so games for the year. Massina will be one of the oldest Coaches going around next year what's the vibe on how the Dogs will go?

More top liners to come for Mounts I am led to believe

From what hearing and know North will be still right up there. One thing a lot of people will tell you...don't write Nev off!

Heard they've been big spenders in the past few years so if that's the case there is the chance to spend it better. What's D.Lock going to do with his footy anyone know?

They sure did.. I remember playing against blokes of the ilk of Peter white, John Craig, mick oshea (yes im old) just to name a few... Some of the teams they put on the park in those days would have given a lot of BFL teams a run for there money

I played around that era and I can tell you the money going around was nowhere near the sort of money that people think was being paid. All the players were involved in fundraising, hay carting over summer, the so called paid players were instrumental in setting the scene for all players by donating their time and efforts to do this work. The committee was very astute back then and only spent money on people who deserved it and then went after a big fish if they needed one to pinch a flag. Paid players that were near the end of there career gave up money to use to get the next batch of recruits to win one more flag before they retired. This was how Mounts was so successful for so long. Around 2006 this started to go pear shaped, a couple of bad coaching appointments, ordinary blokes were recruited who only thought about themselves, and then Heathcote and Elmore blew everybody out of the water with money. My last year at Mounts our budget for players and coach was very low and we managed to win the flag. This would be a drop in the ocean for what some Clubs are paying now for ordinary seconds players out of Bendigo.

I played around that era and I can tell you the money going around was nowhere near the sort of money that people think was being paid. All the players were involved in fundraising, hay carting over summer, the so called paid players were instrumental in setting the scene for all players by donating their time and efforts to do this work. The committee was very astute back then and only spent money on people who deserved it and then went after a big fish if they needed one to pinch a flag. Paid players that were near the end of there career gave up money to use to get the next batch of recruits to win one more flag before they retired. This was how Mounts was so successful for so long. Around 2006 this started to go pear shaped, a couple of bad coaching appointments, ordinary blokes were recruited who only thought about themselves, and then Heathcote and Elmore blew everybody out of the water with money. My last year at Mounts our budget for players and coach was very low and we managed to win the flag. This would be a drop in the ocean for what some Clubs are paying now for ordinary seconds players out of Bendigo.

Couldn't agree more about the cash some blokes are after who have done very little... oh how the times have changed :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back