News Hawthorn in the media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Just like last years thread, whatever Barrett has to say is not Hawthorn in the media.

Couldn’t care less for his shit takes, they don’t belong here.

This is.... interesting. Anyone know what is being implied here?

From number 2 - https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...ws-story/907c00b5e087981e171e942e11e32d94?amp

"2. NEVER SHOW YOUR FULL HAND UNTIL YOU NEED TO.

Adelaide might one day tire of Gather Round but the introduction of a Barossa Valley game next year will ensure the momentum keeps rolling year on year.

SA premier Peter Malinauskas wants sexy TV drone shots of vines fat with shiraz grapes and a contest that ends with the crowd flooding into pavilions showing off the region’s great export.

It is going to rock, and if it is at the expense of games in the fabulous Mount Barker venue – a ground basically surrounded by dusty paddocks – then so be it.

Just don’t invite Hawthorn to be one of the clubs to stay there.

A former senior official this week visibly shuddered when asked about the events of the club’s 2020 hub there back in Covid.

One day those events will be laid bare but they precipitated the eventual departure of Alastair Clarkson.

There is a book in that one."
Apparently clarko ran off with the monopoly board

In all seriousness our team didn’t suit the hub environment, seniors wanted to be at home, team we were fielding didn’t help and the kids enjoyed some wine, classic case of bottoming out in a competitive environment and shit got thrown out the window

Apparently clarko ran off with the monopoly board

In all seriousness our team didn’t suit the hub environment, seniors wanted to be at home, team we were fielding didn’t help and the kids enjoyed some wine, classic case of bottoming out in a competitive environment and s**t got thrown out the window

It was a blessing in disguise I think if 2020 didn’t happen we would be still trying to top up with cheap injured players from other clubs and trading out high draft picks from players like Wingard etc, trying to cheat the system.

It force our hand to do a go back to the draft and rebuild still don’t think we have done a real rebuild but it change our view of this.

Which was good long term as we were just drifting along thinking we would get there with our eyes closed.

It was a blessing in disguise I think if 2020 didn’t happen we would be still trying to top up with cheap injured players from other clubs and trading out high draft picks from players like Wingard etc, trying to cheat the system.

It force our hand to do a go back to the draft and rebuild still don’t think we have done a real rebuild but it change our view of this.

Which was good long term as we were just drifting along thinking we would get there with our eyes closed.

Cheat the system? Why not when the eagles got a second pick at #30 the system sucks

Media will be all over us this week.

Robbo nailing us twice in the Tackle

DISLIKES

1. What was that, Hawks?
Generally, there’s no shame if you lose to the Suns on the Gold Coast. But there is when you lose like that. The Hawks surrendered before a ball had been bounced. We can go through numbers – and they are damning – but there’s a number which best describes the plight of Sam Mitchell’s team and overall rebuild: The last time the Hawks were winless after the first five rounds was 1970. The respect they earned by running last year’s premiers, Collingwood, to five points the week before was tossed out when they chose to play touch footy on the Gold Coast. Sometimes, it’s about personnel and the Hawks had several influential players missing, but there is also an expectation that a team of 18 players will graft and fight. The Hawks didn’t. Proof is the fact Suns were +96 disposals, +3 uncontested possessions and +17 tackles. It’s worth repeating that Suns midfielder, 18-year-old Will Graham, laid 14 tackles and the four main centre-bounce attendees for Hawthorn – Nash (4), Newcombe (3), Worpel (3) and Hustwaite (0) – laid 10 tackles between them. A kid embarrassed all of Hawthorn.

2. So, where are the Hawks?
Sam Mitchell is not going to lose his job, he’s not even close to that scenario, but knockdown rebuilds generally don’t have a long-service component to the contract. In Mitchell’s first year, 2022, the Hawks went 8-14 and finished 13th. In 2023, they were 7-16 and finished 16th and beat finalists St Kilda, Brisbane and Collingwood and also beat the Bulldogs. This year, they have lost to Essendon, Melbourne, Geelong, the Pies and the Suns. They weren’t expected to win any of those games, but at the same time, the days of meek surrender were not expected. A rebuild is a grind and right now, the Hawks are in their worst position since the 2015 premiership. Arguably, the rebuild under coach Alastair Clarkson should’ve started in 2017 and 2018 the latest, and not when Mitchell replaced Clarkson at the end of 2021. Instead, the Hawks tried to patch up with O’Meara, Mitchell, Vickery, Wingard, Patton and Scully. It didn’t work. The once mighty Hawks are at ground zero for effort and self respect.

DISLIKES

1. What was that, Hawks?
Generally, there’s no shame if you lose to the Suns on the Gold Coast. But there is when you lose like that. The Hawks surrendered before a ball had been bounced. We can go through numbers – and they are damning – but there’s a number which best describes the plight of Sam Mitchell’s team and overall rebuild: The last time the Hawks were winless after the first five rounds was 1970. The respect they earned by running last year’s premiers, Collingwood, to five points the week before was tossed out when they chose to play touch footy on the Gold Coast. Sometimes, it’s about personnel and the Hawks had several influential players missing, but there is also an expectation that a team of 18 players will graft and fight. The Hawks didn’t. Proof is the fact Suns were +96 disposals, +3 uncontested possessions and +17 tackles. It’s worth repeating that Suns midfielder, 18-year-old Will Graham, laid 14 tackles and the four main centre-bounce attendees for Hawthorn – Nash (4), Newcombe (3), Worpel (3) and Hustwaite (0) – laid 10 tackles between them. A kid embarrassed all of Hawthorn.

Sam Mitchell is not going to lose his job, he’s not even close to that scenario, but knockdown rebuilds generally don’t have a long-service component to the contract. In Mitchell’s first year, 2022, the Hawks went 8-14 and finished 13th. In 2023, they were 7-16 and finished 16th and beat finalists St Kilda, Brisbane and Collingwood and also beat the Bulldogs. This year, they have lost to Essendon, Melbourne, Geelong, the Pies and the Suns. They weren’t expected to win any of those games, but at the same time, the days of meek surrender were not expected. A rebuild is a grind and right now, the Hawks are in their worst position since the 2015 premiership. Arguably, the rebuild under coach Alastair Clarkson should’ve started in 2017 and 2018 the latest, and not when Mitchell replaced Clarkson at the end of 2021. Instead, the Hawks tried to patch up with O’Meara, Mitchell, Vickery, Wingard, Patton and Scully. It didn’t work. The once mighty Hawks are at ground zero for effort and self respect.
A week is a long time in footy.

example number 2.

What did he write after last weeks game? Actually, don't answer that. I don't care.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Right or wrong i am glad we are getting a bake in the media.

The club needs to think about these performances constructively. An 18 year old out-tackling most of our midfield, combined, is appalling.
The idea that the club, players or coaches don’t feel the pain of a loss or the need to ask hard questions of themselves without the media baking them is quite an odd stance.

You are making assumptions

I didnt say that
Yes, I’m making the assumption based on your comment that you like the club getting a bake because they need to think about these performances.

What would they be thinking about otherwise would be the question I’d ask.

Gabbo is typically quite good and didn't mind this article from him at all.
The tackling stat has me perplexed.

We are getting slammed each week in this metric, a stat we actually did ok in in the first 5 weeks of last year even in the games against Sydney and Geelong where we got smashed. Suggests we are just not working hard enough.

Josh’s articles are normally good.

Looking at our young team and average games of our midfield not sure why the loses are such a surprise against quality opposition.

The lack of heart is unexpected, how ever all is not lost in 2024!

The effort is the killer. There was a lot of players who didn't appear to want the ball.
We can fault chol, but he was in the middle of packs a few times, more than our mids

Yes, I’m making the assumption based on your comment that you like the club getting a bake because they need to think about these performances.

What would they be thinking about otherwise would be the question I’d ask.
I dont know - i am not clairvoyant... But you go ahead and make another assumption then.

As a paid up member, for my family, i'm not happy with what they are delivering. Quite angry. Last Sat night was the worst i have seen, certainly in recent memory anyway.

Our performance was crap.

Or does it offend you that someone is voicing an opinion that differs to you ?

DISLIKES

1. What was that, Hawks?

Looks like Robbo had has translator working overtime last night .
Even managed to give his old mate Clarkson a drive by .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back