Player Watch Harvey Harrison

Remove this Banner Ad

Harvey, the exception that proves the rule. Or have I got that wrong?

What I’m trying to say is that he hasn’t been killing it in the VFL, but gets a brief crack at the seniors (after two games in 2023?) and impresses.

His VFL work has been good, but not so good as to be demanding a promotion.

Well done to the kid.
Not quite. His work at VFL level has been very good. He has been ready to play AFL since the start of the season. You have to watch closely to see why.

His goal snap was an obvious highlight …

… but there were a few times when he marked the ball, and didn’t have the confidence / ability to launch a ‘run and gun’ in the way our more experienced players would have. He’ll learn I’m sure.

His goal snap was an obvious highlight …

… but there were a few times when he marked the ball, and didn’t have the confidence / ability to launch a ‘run and gun’ in the way our more experienced players would have. He’ll learn I’m sure.
I think that was more based on what the team was doing than what he was specifically. Would rather a player take the time than bomb it long to little avail.

I think that was more based on what the team was doing than what he was specifically. Would rather a player take the time than bomb it long to little avail.

“Launch a run and gun” is certainly not “bomb it long”.

Playing forward in the seniors and I can't see him replacing any of Hill, McCreery, Elliott, or Schultz. His time will come.
He was subbed in for Mitchell though.
So he ended up playing in the same side as all of the above.

That’s a weak excuse and you know it.

Perhaps it would allow guys like McCreery and Schultz to spend some time up around the ball too

He was subbed in for Mitchell though.
So he ended up playing in the same side as all of the above.

That’s a weak excuse and you know it.

Perhaps it would allow guys like McCreery and Schultz to spend some time up around the ball too

But Mitchell will be in the side next week (we'll need him, and hopefully he has a blinder) so if Harrison is getting into the 22 it'll be as a forward and then he's forcing 1 of Hill, McCreery, Schultz, or Elliott out. Seemed pretty obvious to me, certainly not an excuse, and clearly a strong argument.

But Mitchell will be in the side next week (we'll need him, and hopefully he has a blinder) so if Harrison is getting into the 22 it'll be as a forward and then he's forcing 1 of Hill, McCreery, Schultz, or Elliott out. Seemed pretty obvious to me, certainly not an excuse, and clearly a strong argument.

If Lippa leaves the forward line, Harrison could come in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Lippa leaves the forward line, Harrison could come in.

Or WHE, but you’re then consigning Checkers to be our only tall forward for much of the game, with Elliott playing as the 2nd tall, so there’s still a cost.

Or WHE, but you’re then consigning Checkers to be our only tall forward for much of the game, with Elliott playing as the 2nd tall, so there’s still a cost.
You can't take whe out of the forward line without adding Reef, Kreuger or Johnson back in - it's why I said Lippa. You could definitely replace his forward line work with a small forward.

What’s Harvey’s tank like? Could he play a wing role ala Josh Daicos and give Sidey an occasional chop out? Would probably only be applicable if we chose to use one of our current forwards in a midfield role as some have suggested. Could also push Sidey forward for stints in this scenario maybe.

What’s Harvey’s tank like? Could he play a wing role ala Josh Daicos and give Sidey an occasional chop out? Would probably only be applicable if we chose to use one of our current forwards in a midfield role as some have suggested. Could also push Sidey forward for stints in this scenario maybe.
in the vfl he plays forward and wing. He's a good runner.

Yeah to me it's about whether we can cover Lippas rotations through the midfield and wing.

If you get the rotations right and whe only covers wing when both Cox and checkers are on the ground - I think it could work.

So it'd be about whether Sidey or Lippas plays sub.

Won the combine at the 2021 draft for 20m sprints, has a good tank, rarely looks puffed. He has played some wing minutes.

He straight up challenged Sidey on the weekend. Sidey looked better with him in the team, too.

You can't take whe out of the forward line without adding Reef, Kreuger or Johnson back in - it's why I said Lippa. You could definitely replace his forward line work with a small forward.

So you’re dropping Lippa for Harrison? You then also lose Lippa’s endurance and midfield rotations. Lippa had a quieter game against the Bombers but he was among our best against Port. Doesn’t he deserve another game? Doesn’t he have more credits than Harrison?

The knee jerk “drop insert players name” after a loss or in this case a draw, is just over the top. When one of the kids is smashing the door down, you can make a case, but they’re not, including Harrison.

So you’re dropping Lippa for Harrison? You then also lose Lippa’s endurance and midfield rotations. Lippa had a quieter game against the Bombers but he was among our best against Port. Doesn’t he deserve another game? Doesn’t he have more credits than Harrison?

The knee jerk “drop insert players name” after a loss or in this case a draw, is just over the top. When one of the kids is smashing the door down, you can make a case, but they’re not, including Harrison.
I only mentioned Lippa moving out of the forward line. I didn't mention dropping him.

You're the one making a knee jerk reaction.

I'm just pointing out that our other small forwards don't stop us playing Harrison for a full game. Just make someone else a sub and shift Lipinski or make Lipinski the sub. He was in the 23. It'd hardly be radical to Moe him into the 22... I don't care whether they do or not. I don't think it'd make much of a difference if Lippa or Sidey was sub and Harrison started. You can add about 4 names to a potential sub list or to a omit/manage for a week list if you want to bring in someone else to change the balance.

SR is one of the least “knee jerk” blokes on here molly. He definitely doesn’t think Carlton will flog us by 10 goals

I only mentioned Lippa moving out of the forward line. I didn't mention dropping him.

You're the one making a knee jerk reaction.

I'm just pointing out that our other small forwards don't stop us playing Harrison for a full game. Just make someone else a sub and shift Lipinski or make Lipinski the sub. He was in the 23. It'd hardly be radical to Moe him into the 22... I don't care whether they do or not. I don't think it'd make much of a difference if Lippa or Sidey was sub and Harrison started. You can add about 4 names to a potential sub list or to a omit/manage for a week list if you want to bring in someone else to change the balance.

I didn’t say you were offering a knee jerk reaction, I said “the knee jerk reaction” was over the top. I was more referencing posters like HFF who seem to want multiple changes every week.

I’m just playing devil’s advocate. Someone has to make way for Harrison to come into the 22. If not Lippa, who? We generally play with a 7-8-7 starting 22. The 7 forwards on Thursday were Mihocek, WHE, Elliott, Hill, Schultz, McCreery, and Cox/Lipinski sharing the forward-midfield role. You shift Lippa into a more permanent midfield role (assuming therefore a mid is moved to sub) then which of the small forwards covers his midfield rotations? Will it be Harrison or do you move McCreery or Hill or Elliott? And that’s without even factoring in you’re changing something that’s been working (Lippa forward-mid).

I’m ambivalent on Harrison into the 22 as well, but I’m willing to accept the potential cost of doing it. He had an impact ANZAC day and I hope he goes well if they do do it. If it had of been up me though, I wouldn’t have dropped McInnes and I’d have gone into ANZAC day unchanged, Reef the sub again. I think we missed his marking potential late in the game and I think he’s better defensively than Harrison. I wouldn’t even have had Harrison held over for ANZAC day based on his game against Carlton where I thought he had a pretty poor game. I had Macrae, Allan, Bytel, and Sullivan well ahead of him on that game.

SR is one of the least “knee jerk” blokes on here molly. He definitely doesn’t think Carlton will flog us by 10 goals

I didn’t say he was offering a knee jerk reaction but he quoted my post in which I’d quoted HFF who most definitely is one of those doing it.

I didn’t say you were offering a knee jerk reaction, I said “the knee jerk reaction” was over the top. I was more referencing posters like HFF who seem to want multiple changes every week.

I’m just playing devil’s advocate. Someone has to make way for Harrison to come into the 22. If not Lippa, who? We generally play with a 7-8-7 starting 22. The 7 forwards on Thursday were Mihocek, WHE, Elliott, Hill, Schultz, McCreery, and Cox/Lipinski sharing the forward-midfield role. You shift Lippa into a more permanent midfield role (assuming therefore a mid is moved to sub) then which of the small forwards covers his midfield rotations? Will it be Harrison or do you move McCreery or Hill or Elliott? And that’s without even factoring in you’re changing something that’s been working (Lippa forward-mid).

I’m ambivalent on Harrison into the 22 as well, but I’m willing to accept the potential cost of doing it. He had an impact ANZAC day and I hope he goes well if they do do it. If it had of been up me though, I wouldn’t have dropped McInnes and I’d have gone into ANZAC day unchanged, Reef the sub again. I think we missed his marking potential late in the game and I think he’s better defensively than Harrison. I wouldn’t even have had Harrison held over for ANZAC day based on his game against Carlton where I thought he had a pretty poor game. I had Macrae, Allan, Bytel, and Sullivan well ahead of him on that game.
Harrison's game is unique. No fan has access to the vision or data the club would but it's all recorded. He benefits from elite players around him as he plays above the standard of VFL.

Not every player you mentioned played as well as it may seem. There's more the club looks at to determine whether a player has played well. It involves many statistics the public don't see from Champion Data and footage that isn't broadcast. They'll looked at off-the-ball work, GPS data from running, fitness, etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back