Player Watch Harvey Harrison

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought that was def interesting. Was wondering why he was being mentioned in a sentence when talking about hb.
I just assumed it was just talking about young, but HH at HB? feels like a waste. Not sure how I feel about that

Surely it's not what he meant.. He can ramble a bit sometimes.

Last edited:

I'm yet to see what the clear expectations about Harvey are coming from on the basis of what I've seen so far. His pace is okay without being blistering. He doesn't look to have any weapons as yet but I'm sure they will come to the fore in time. Just a little disappointed by what I saw of him at senior level given the clearly high regard he is held in by the club.

Thought that was def interesting. Was wondering why he was being mentioned in a sentence when talking about hb.
I just assumed it was just talking about young, but HH at HB? feels like a waste. Not sure how I feel about that

He does like to add in extra names to pad out a list.

Agree its a bit odd for his skillset (Doesn't appear that strong overhead) however I am happy to back coaching staff on basically anything at this point. Is it a bit worrying for Noble that we seem to be targeting so many runners off half back?

Agree its a bit odd for his skillset (Doesn't appear that strong overhead) however I am happy to back coaching staff on basically anything at this point. Is it a bit worrying for Noble that we seem to be targeting so many runners off half back?

That high half back role is closer to a midfield role than a defensive role and doesn't require strong aerialists - see Daicos. Noble is in trouble as he doesn't play that high half back role and thus needs to be stronger in the air.

That high half back role is closer to a midfield role than a defensive role and doesn't require strong aerialists - see Daicos.
I think Noble played more backline than Daicos did, would argue we chose to go with WHE and Markov in the finals over Noble due to their ability to impact more in the air while also providing run

I think Noble played more backline than Daicos did, would argue we chose to go with WHE and Markov in the finals over Noble due to their ability to impact more in the air while also providing run
Agree. I more meant that Demattia would be lined up for a Nick style role. Noble is going to be borderline as he doesn't play that quasi mid role nor is he capable in the air - so if they can get run from guys like Markov, WHE, Ryan, Jiath - it's going to be hard to pick him. Our defensive system involves so much switching that you need to be able to offer both an aerial and ground level game - plus most dangerous small forwards are dangerous in the air.

Agree. I more meant that Demattia would be lined up for a Nick style role. Noble is going to be borderline as he doesn't play that quasi mid role nor is he capable in the air - so if they can get run from guys like Markov, WHE, Ryan, Jiath - it's going to be hard to pick him. Our defensive system involves so much switching that you need to be able to offer both an aerial and ground level game - plus most dangerous small forwards are dangerous in the air.
Ah ok i get what you are saying. I still think that Nick Daicos role is more of a Nick Daicos is a freak that plays everywhere role than an actual role that HH could pull off, not sure he has the skill and kicking ability etc Happy to back coaches on it just my preference is for HH to stay mid/fwd, I see him as potentially a prestia type

Ah ok i get what you are saying. I still think that Nick Daicos role is more of a Nick Daicos is a freak that plays everywhere role than an actual role that HH could pull off, not sure he has the skill and kicking ability etc Happy to back coaches on it just my preference is for HH to stay mid/fwd, I see him as potentially a prestia type

It's a role with or without Nick. We push one of the starting 6 forwards and one of the starting 6 defenders to the edge of stoppage. No one will play it as well as Nick though. I expect it to be predominantly Crisp next year with Nick playing full time mid - if we get a good run with injuries and don't need to use Crisp in the midfield very often.

It's a role with or without Nick. We push one of the starting 6 forwards and one of the starting 6 defenders to the edge of stoppage. No one will play it as well as Nick though. I expect it to be predominantly Crisp next year with Nick playing full time mid - if we get a good run with injuries and don't need to use Crisp in the midfield very often.
Who played it during finals? I dont Nick did other than maybe in second half of the GF and Prelim

My mind went there when the comments initially popped up, but I’ve caught up on the interview and Hine wasn’t suggesting HH will be a HB option moving forward. He was just pushing his name forward as one that’s coming through.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who played it during finals? I dont Nick did other than maybe in second half of the GF and Prelim
I'd need to check, but Nick, Crisp and Pendles all played it a fair bit throughout the year. I think it's Crisp's ideal role. I agree with you regarding HH being unlikely - doesn't appear to run with the footy much or be a high level distributor - more suited to forward/mid from what I've seen.

Last edited:
His pace is okay without being blistering.
If thats your opinion, you really need to watch some more VFL footy. Pace is his biggest weapon, has the ability to burst out the front of a pack in impressive fashion...Coupled with tidy skills and good goal sense, having AFL weapons isn't Harrison's problem IMO; its productivity. I havent seen him play too many genuinely good games, he is the king of 15 possession games. Now in those 15 possessions he will do some nice things, but its all cameos. I guess playing as a high half forward that isnt a bad return, but let's face it the gap between the VFL and AFL is vast. To make it in the AFL you have to be dominant in the VFL, and thus far Harrison has been somewhere between good and serviceable

I'm yet to see what the clear expectations about Harvey are coming from on the basis of what I've seen so far. His pace is okay without being blistering. He doesn't look to have any weapons as yet but I'm sure they will come to the fore in time. Just a little disappointed by what I saw of him at senior level given the clearly high regard he is held in by the club.
He can rove a pack and get separation. It's a goal creating ability. The question is whether he can do enough outside of those cameos.

If thats your opinion, you really need to watch some more VFL footy. Pace is his biggest weapon, has the ability to burst out the front of a pack in impressive fashion...Coupled with tidy skills and good goal sense, having AFL weapons isn't Harrison's problem IMO; its productivity. I havent seen him play too many genuinely good games, he is the king of 15 possession games. Now in those 15 possessions he will do some nice things, but its all cameos. I guess playing as a high half forward that isnt a bad return, but let's face it the gap between the VFL and AFL is vast. To make it in the AFL you have to be dominant in the VFL, and thus far Harrison has been somewhere between good and serviceable

Needs to start applying his pace defensively imho if he’s to take the next step. Lipinski currently chases with more intensity.

I think they'll need injuries, as I can't see them leap-frogging anyone yet.

Mason Cox, sure, but c’mon John Noble if he was doubled over? Easy.

Harrison's strength at the club is effort around the ball. It's why he's been named as an emergency so many times and it's why he will continue to be given opportunities. His alleged legacy word was "100% Effort". Think we'll start to see him more. Players like Harvey are a dream to coach - humble, hardworking, honest. Big things are coming. Culture builder alongside Fin and Reef.

Harrison's strength at the club is effort around the ball. It's why he's been named as an emergency so many times and it's why he will continue to be given opportunities. His alleged legacy word was "100% Effort". Think we'll start to see him more. Players like Harvey are a dream to coach - humble, hardworking, honest. Big things are coming. Culture builder alongside Fin and Reef.

Hope your right… just not sure where we will see him play regular senior football

Is inly 20 though… so hopefully given a few different roles in the twos this year to see if he can make one his own

Remove this Banner Ad

Back