Hampden Football League Season 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Great win by Portland Tigers against Camperdown. Crane super as ever..Rebels players J Jones and Huppatz very good. Bain for Camperdown will be a handfull this year for defenders..doesnt need much time and space..will kick bags of goals this year.

Great win by Portland Tigers against Camperdown. Crane super as ever..Rebels players J Jones and Huppatz very good. Bain for Camperdown will be a handfull this year for defenders..doesnt need much time and space..will kick bags of goals this year.
Yes Great win by the Tigers! Perhaps they have been underrated? some good quality kids perhaps sam42? I got down to Terang V Koroit yesterday Koroit just did enough to win certainly no where near their best, one thing for sure is Marcus Darmody is a fantastic player. Anyone see Warrnambool v North very surprising?

Yes Great win by the Tigers! Perhaps they have been underrated? some good quality kids perhaps sam42? I got down to Terang V Koroit yesterday Koroit just did enough to win certainly no where near their best, one thing for sure is Marcus Darmody is a fantastic player. Anyone see Warrnambool v North very surprising?
Traveling to Portland is worth a few goals to the home side, but i"m sure next time Portland travel to Camperdown, the result will be reversed. North has recruited well, but I tipped W'bool to win by 2 goals. The margin was a huge surprise! We will see how North goes in the finals, especially if they play Koroit. I watched Souths and the Roos under the lights, first time at Hamilton. Atmosphere was electric, and the game was very fast paced. Skills were very good 2. Can be hard to see player's faces at night. I can't work out why W'bool district get bigger crowds than some Hampden games after seeing last night's game. Souths forward line and having more bigger guys were the difference. Manny Sandow was rucking well and his jumping was high. Paddy Anderson kicking alot of great goals 2. Paul Cox the new WA recruit in an exciting machine. It's just his goal kicking on the run lets him down after all the brilliant work he does. I would put him in the interleague squad this year. Next year Souths could be having night football, as there looking at putting up new light towers at the end of the year.

Traveling to Portland is worth a few goals to the home side, but i"m sure next time Portland travel to Camperdown, the result will be reversed. North has recruited well, but I tipped W'bool to win by 2 goals. The margin was a huge surprise! We will see how North goes in the finals, especially if they play Koroit. I watched Souths and the Roos under the lights, first time at Hamilton. Atmosphere was electric, and the game was very fast paced. Skills were very good 2. Can be hard to see player's faces at night. I can't work out why W'bool district get bigger crowds than some Hampden games after seeing last night's game. Souths forward line and having more bigger guys were the difference. Manny Sandow was rucking well and his jumping was high. Paddy Anderson kicking alot of great goals 2. Paul Cox the new WA recruit in an exciting machine. It's just his goal kicking on the run lets him down after all the brilliant work he does. I would put him in the interleague squad this year. Next year Souths could be having night football, as there looking at putting up new light towers at the end of the year.
If Portlands pressure and tenacity is the same the result will not be reversed. If Camperdown left to run thats when they will do damage. Bain is a gun.

Yes MFooty Portland have some great kids. Just need some bigger bodied senior players to support them. Hard to attract players without the offer of employment .

How did the big recruit go sam42? I see he kicked 3 goals, but how did his presence change things for the tiges having a target up forward?'I didn't get to go to the game but must admit was surprised by the result.

How did the big recruit go sam42? I see he kicked 3 goals, but how did his presence change things for the tiges having a target up forward?'I didn't get to go to the game but must admit was surprised by the result.
Levi went ok..I think his best work was done behind the ball. Not what I was expecting...different but it seems effective kicking style..a little gangly..but moves quite well. Mobile. Maybe be better on the ball than up fwd..we will see. Have to say I was surprised to. Pressure, effort and tenacity was first class...and talking about class Crane.

Here are my predictions for this week!

North Warrnambool Vs Hamilton - Ill have North in this one but Hamilton not to go down without a fight! Parish may cash in on this game and finish with 7. North by 36.

Port Fairy Vs Warrnambool - Match of the round for sure! Ill be looking for a huge reply from Warrnambool this week and they will win this one by 45 points. The only way this goes the other way is if Nicholson decides to produce one of his best. Herbertson out will hurt the Seagulls a little to much and they will be exposed down back Cowling for 5.

Camperdown Vs Terang - This one will give the season a little shape I think. Most people have one of these teams to finish in the 5 and everyone is hoping Portland might have just got a jump on the highly rated Camperdown team but for me I think Camperdown may have been overrated and Terang will win this one in a tight contest. Terang by 13.

South Warrnambool Vs Portland - Portland are in the local paper suggesting they can make finals which surely is a big call. Egan out will hurt them as much as the two rebel boys not playing. I just dont see them having enough goal kicking power especially with Crane having to go through the midfield. South seem to win ok against Hamilton but I guess that doesnt mean to much. This game could be won from the coaches box I think. South to win by 22.

Koroit Vs Cobden - Not much to write about here. Hausler to kick a bag, Marcus Darmody to continue to do what he does so well and intercept mark across half back. Koroit by 58.

Here are my predictions for this week!

North Warrnambool Vs Hamilton - Ill have North in this one but Hamilton not to go down without a fight! Parish may cash in on this game and finish with 7. North by 36.

Port Fairy Vs Warrnambool - Match of the round for sure! Ill be looking for a huge reply from Warrnambool this week and they will win this one by 45 points. The only way this goes the other way is if Nicholson decides to produce one of his best. Herbertson out will hurt the Seagulls a little to much and they will be exposed down back Cowling for 5.

Camperdown Vs Terang - This one will give the season a little shape I think. Most people have one of these teams to finish in the 5 and everyone is hoping Portland might have just got a jump on the highly rated Camperdown team but for me I think Camperdown may have been overrated and Terang will win this one in a tight contest. Terang by 13.

South Warrnambool Vs Portland - Portland are in the local paper suggesting they can make finals which surely is a big call. Egan out will hurt them as much as the two rebel boys not playing. I just dont see them having enough goal kicking power especially with Crane having to go through the midfield. South seem to win ok against Hamilton but I guess that doesnt mean to much. This game could be won from the coaches box I think. South to win by 22.

Koroit Vs Cobden - Not much to write about here. Hausler to kick a bag, Marcus Darmody to continue to do what he does so well and intercept mark across half back. Koroit by 58.
Good preview MFooty... You could be the person for the job!!
My predictions are as follows
North over Hamilton by 50
Warrnambool over Port Fairy by 30
Camperdown over Terang by 15
South over Portland by 10
Koroit over Cobden by 50

Good preview MFooty... You could be the person for the job!!
My predictions are as follows
North over Hamilton by 50
Warrnambool over Port Fairy by 30
Camperdown over Terang by 15
South over Portland by 10
Koroit over Cobden by 50
Bushfield over Hamilton by 75
Warrnambool City over Port Fairy by 40
Mortlake over North Cobden by 15
South W'bool over Portland by 10
Koroit over South Camperdown by 70

RD 3....

Warrnambool to beat Koroit - 22pts
Sth Warrnambool to beat Terang - 15pts
Nth Warrnambool to beat Port Fairy - 41pts
Camperdown to beat Cobden - 81pts
Portland to beat Hamilton - 67pts

My tips for this week
Warrnambool over Koroit by 20
Terang over south by 15
North over port fairy by 25
Camperdown over Cobden by 40
Portland over Hamilton by 12

I'll have another crack this week.

Id like to start with the big one Warrnambool V Koroit at the Reid. Tim Okeefe dropped for missing a training session is unbelievable news and a brave move from coach Cook you have to wonder if Couch has 5 at half time if the grumbling begins from behind the windows! (Well done to the standard for running this story as well a very hard hitting news paper) Even so Warrnambool's team looks extremely strong on paper and I would suggest they would be to strong for the Saints. But could there be another twist in this one? Cook V Dowie... Fans would suggest Dowie is the better coach but he needs to be a coach that gets 7 goals extra out of his side or get Warrnambool to kick 7 less than they usually would to win. I wish I could go it has intrigue all over it this one. M.Darmody who does he play on? Can T.Graham get a kick against a quality side? Is the Warrnambool midfield deep enough? Can Koroits lesser likes step up to this level?

Portland V Hamilton - Crane to lead his men to a victory 19 points.

Camperdown v Cobden - I imagine the Cobden boys will be up for this one. Cunnington the ex captain comes back to play them and there is no love loss at all. They will target him and it will be on. Once this all settles down if it does look for the great players to stand up Foster and Harkin for Cobden while Camperdown will have to see if they have any. In a fire infused encounter ill have the Bombers in an upset 23 points.

North v Port Fairy - Another great game between two contenders. Clearly Nicholson is a jet who plays on him? Can North get away with playing so many tall players after this one we will know a lot about these two sides. Port Fairy by 4 points.

Terang V South - Terang to get there campaign rolling I would think but could South be going a little better than expected? I doubt it but we will find out. Terang 23

Talking point: The umpires in our league are terrible there is no doubt about that should the Maskell Voting be taken off them and done another way?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Terang were too good for the Souths. Terang just outmuscled them, had 3 good talls in their fwd 50 of Smith, Bant and their coach. Souths were 2nd to the ball, not accountable and their key fwds were well held. Terang contestant footy and their gut running (run/spread) were really good. In the 2nd half Souths did outscore Terang by a point, but the intensity of the match dropped off, but it was good Souths didn't drop their bundle, but they fought it out well in the 2nd half, right till the end. Still the goals came from their small fwds, and their talls were still well held. Nick Thompson and Paddy Mahony were South's best. Terang are good enough to be in the finals.

Terang were too good for the Souths. Terang just outmuscled them, had 3 good talls in their fwd 50 of Smith, Bant and their coach. Souths were 2nd to the ball, not accountable and their key fwds were well held. Terang contestant footy and their gut running (run/spread) were really good. In the 2nd half Souths did outscore Terang by a point, but the intensity of the match dropped off, but it was good Souths didn't drop their bundle, but they fought it out well in the 2nd half, right till the end. Still the goals came from their small fwds, and their talls were still well held. Nick Thompson and Paddy Mahony were South's best. Terang are good enough to be in the finals.
Managed to come down from Melb and watch this game. I agree with pretty much everything you said. Young team south but I think this year is all about how much they can improve and Buck is doing well so far.
Seems like north could be the real deal this year? I still think wbool by mid year will be the best team in the comp.

Whats everyone's thoughts on overrated players in the Hampden League? Does anyone want to share their opinion on some big name recruits that have not yet played as well as everyone thought they would have?

Whats everyone's thoughts on overrated players in the Hampden League? Does anyone want to share their opinion on some big name recruits that have not yet played as well as everyone thought they would have?
We've only played 3 rounds, so it's early days to make assessments on this. Some of these new players needs time to settle in, as well. We'll know in a few weeks time in regards to your question.

Went and watched Portland play Hamilton at Hanlon Park on ANZAC day. Very disappointing result as far as Portland are concerned, to be 40 odd points up at 3/4 time then not kick a goal in the last quarter was simply hard to believe. Full credit to Hamilton they wanted it a lot more in the last quarter. The drama at the end of the game was very confusing because we didn't hear the siren at the end of the game and the siren at Portland is loud.
Skills from both sides were pretty ordinary the whole game, with Portland overusing the handball a lot in the first half. My first game for the season and while being a cracker game in the end, both sides have a lot of work to do to even get close to the middle to top sides.

Don't forget Portland beat Camperdown pretty well, and this show's Portland on their day can be a good side. Against us (Souths), we believe you guys should of won by 3 or 4 goals, but you didn't kick straight. Hang in there Portland, u guys will still win quite a few matches. With alot of young teams in the comp, alot of those sides will have their ups and downs. There is no easy game in our comp.

Portland is a very good team when playing at home. Its when they are away they seem to struggle. In saying that I think Portland will finish above Cobden, Hamilton and potentially South Warrnambool and Camperdown at the end of the year.

Tips for round 4
North over Portland by 60
South over Cobden by 10
Warrnambool over Camperdown by 30
Hamilton over terang by 10

Tips for round 4
North over Portland by 60
South over Cobden by 10
Warrnambool over Camperdown by 30
Hamilton over terang by 10
Those tips with the winners are right, and your margins weren't far off either. You must have inside information...lol. Great tipping, mate! What's happening with the Portland Tigers? We know the drills they will be practising this week at Hanlon Park. The players will have to get new boots. I don't think many would of thought Hamilton would defeat Terang/Mortlake. Biggest upset of the year. Over at Souths, there is a new young rising star. Mar Gattek. Only 16 years of age, extremely fast and evasive, can kick goals, work rate is great and good on 2nd/3rd efforts. Very exciting to watch!

Last edited:
Those tips with the winners are right, and your margins weren't far off either. You must have inside information...lol. Great tipping, mate! What's happening with the Portland Tigers? We know the drills they will be practising this week at Hanlon Park. The players will have to get new boots. I don't think many would of thought Hamilton would defeat Terang/Mortlake. Biggest upset of the year. Over at Souths, there is a new young rising star. Mar Gattek. Only 16 years of age, extremely fast and evasive, can kick goals, work rate is great and good on 2nd/3rd efforts. Very exciting to watch!
Thanks beachboy 3, even though Hamilton only just beat us, they impressed me with their second half and Hamilton at Melville oval are always hard to beat. I would hope that if I were to drive past Hanlon park any night this week the boys would be working on their goal kicking lol.
Is that young guy for South on the rebels list?

Anyone at the north vs saints game? North seem like the real deal this year. Or did koroit still have a few out?

Went down and watched Cobden beat Portland tigers yesterday. The game was won in the first quarter, Portland had the advantage of a strong breeze and blew it through poor disposal and decision making while cobdens skills were very good, hitting targets and applying heaps of pressure on Portland. Portland played one good quarter, the third, kicking about 5 goals to none, with Luke crane absolutely on fire, young shepherd was good also. Last quarter Cobden had the breeze again and I did expect them to kick away but to Portlands credit they defended well and Cobden did blow a few chances to put Portland away with inaccurate kicking. Portland got the ball and drove it into their 50 but unfortunately the mark wasn't held and the siren went. Portland lost their 4 th game for the season by less the a goal.
Good game of footy played with good spirit. Both sides ladened with young talent. Ben Malcolm played a great game against Levi dare.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back