Hampden Football League Season 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Dean Gavin to start the season for the eagles before heading over seas. Hearing he could play first 6

Watched Souths training for first time in ages, look quick and skilful, will push most teams and I think they will make the top 5

W
Dean Gavin to start the season for the eagles before heading over seas. Hearing he could play first 6
return end of year?
James Hussey to miss good chunk of the year while overseas to. Will hurt as he could possibly be one of the best midfielders in the league this year.

W

return end of year?
James Hussey to miss good chunk of the year while overseas to. Will hurt as he could possibly be one of the best midfielders in the league this year.
I spoke to an official last nite about this, and he said he might not be going. Would be good if Huss does his traveling during the off season. This would create a big hole in the side if he left. What's also interesting is, the Richo man of Cobden is heading off to Camperdown. Any news on Matt Sully's clearance news? If Port Fairy offered Sully a job to play for Port, I don't blame him going to Port, as work comes first before footy. Hopefully he will come back to South one day.

I spoke to an official last nite about this, and he said he might not be going. Would be good if Huss does his traveling during the off season. This would create a big hole in the side if he left. What's also interesting is, the Richo man of Cobden is heading off to Camperdown. Any news on Matt Sully's clearance news? If Port Fairy offered Sully a job to play for Port, I don't blame him going to Port, as work comes first before footy. Hopefully he will come back to South one day.
Sully being at Pt Fairy has nothing to do with employment and all to do with $$$

That's if he keeps the job, from all reports he's a pretty slack worker and he's already got the flick from one boss. But all in all he's gone there for the money.

Just drove past Hanlon Park where Portland are playing North Gambier, Portland were 9 goals to North Gambier 2 goals.

That's easy! Port Fairy will just write a cheque out and job's done. How did Souths go in the practice match against South Gambier? Also anyone got scores or reports on other practice matches?

Pt Fairy asked Sully to take a cut to offset some of the cost. He has refused. Already onto his 2nd job.

Sth beat Sth Gambier by 15 goals. Sth Gambier were just a side though, so not a lot to take out of it. Roosters moved the footy really well at times with Hussey & Saunders stand outs. South rested Youl, Sandow, Eagleson & Anderson so have plenty of upside.

Cobden were very impressive the week before against Sth in Boags cup. Definitely had the better of the Roosters. Having said that hard to get a read on things as both sides had very big squads with lots of ressies & U/18 players rotating on and off at different times.

Be surprised if Cobden don't play finals all the same.... Going to be a very tight season with some good sides missing out... All the Warrnambool sides, Koroit, Pt Fairy, Camperdown & Cobden would be expecting to play finals - but 7 doesn't go into 5.

Luck with injuries and dropping a game to a Terang, Portland or Hamilton away could be crucial in the warship where sides finish!

Matt Sully's clearance came through on Tuesday and Robbie Hare will be out for most of the season due to a knee injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port Fairy V Koroit this week is a great way to start the season. Should be a great game with some big inclusions for these two sides! It may even come down to who's recruits will perform better O'connor/McIntyre or Sully/Robinson close one to call, but the thing you can bet on is it will be heated. Winner will be premiership favourite. I'll have Port by 12 points on this one.

Top 5 Predictions

Koroit
Port Fairy
North Warrnambool
Warrnambool
South Warrnambool

Maskell
Daniel Weymouth

How I feel about some teams going into 2017.

North Warrnambool
Will be super strong again. They have a great forward line who can kick big scores. If Taggert can play all year they will finish higher on the ladder than 3rd.
The engine room is the question mark for the Eagles I'm not sure they have enough depth through there to battle against the big teams? Surely Taggert doesn't believe McKinnon can step into it.

Koroit
Oconnor is a big in and is a big time player. If they can go through the year keeping their list fit they will be there in the end. If anything you would have to question the depth of the squad? I think we have done that before though.. Dowie not coaching could have an impact as well its a wait and see...

Port Fairy
Well.... unfair advantage to start with 45 points is a unjust and happened without enough noise? Maybe not their fault though, and haven't they taken advantage of it Sully and Sandy Robinson! Big, big in's they will be a hard team to beat come the end of the year, but they will drop a few easy ones along the way because hey they are Port Fairy and they have never had any depth in the squad.

Warrnambool
Will they be able to score? A great deal of pressure on Jed Turland who didnt have a great year last year. Weymouth is a great player who cannot get injured.. Full list and they will be a handful for the best sides a few injuries and they could be picked off by anyone.. We have all laughed at who they recruited right? come on..

Cobden
Dare, Dare, Dare, Dare.... Joe is good for 100. Well we will wait and see on this one... I cant wait to see how this outfit comes together. They will have a go no doubt can they hang on for 4 quarters against the top? I think not... unless Joe stops 100.

Camperdown
A little unknown how good will the new recruits be probably decides the fate of their season. A little like Warrnambool full list they will be hard to beat, injuries and they come down the ladder.. Seehusen is a loss he is a quality player. Bain could kick 100..

South Warrnambool
Recruits came flooding in and they needed them. How good is Saunders? Time will tell... I'm not sure they have the goal kicking power to trouble the top 3 but everyone else it will be an even contest. A little unknown to me, but it's not often people from AFL lists are no good at all so they will have to be hard to beat.

Hamilton
Seemed to pick up a few handy ones. Id like to see a competitive Hamilton and Portland in the comp I'm just not sure it will be this year.

Portland
Just going to miss the coach to much.. No Moody is like a shot in the leg can they kick a score? I doubt it.

Terang/Mortlake
Full list up and firing and they will match it with everyone but the top 3. They still have plenty of quality players running around but will need Wareham to be playing a lot of games throughout the year. The new recruits will be interesting if they have some talent it could see them challenge for finals.

I put my thoughts out there! Now lets get a few more from everyone else.

Great review there Mfooty. Pretty much spot on there I reckon.

Plenty of rumors floating around that Port Fairy did pay the 20K to clear Sully.

Great review there Mfooty. Pretty much spot on there I reckon.

Plenty of rumors floating around that Port Fairy did pay the 20K to clear Sully.

Not rumours - it's a fact Port Fairy had to come with $$ or else Southport were not going to clear him............

20K just to get him cleared and then 30k in match payments.... wouldn't want to get injured...

Disappointing loss to Cobden on Saturday. Injuries to two key midfielders didn't help. Cobden made good use of a strong breeze in the last quarter where Portland wasted their opportunities when they had the wind.
On a positive James Imbi was our best on ground, great to have the little champ back.
Kicking a score will be a problem for the tigers

Come on guys, what's all the news and how do you think the season is going? Port Fairy are way ahead of the rest of the comp. Looks like Souths are on the same par as Koroit and Cobden. Terang looks like they will be competitive this year, and North has dropped off a bit. I watched Koroit and Souths and u look at the players have got in both teams, there is so many great players. Both sides could do with another key fwd and backman. Great exhibition of footy and a wonderful standard. Game was free flowing but still lot of good tackles. What's gone wrong with North W'bool? Even W'bool has dropped off more then I expected. Camperdown can still do better. I just hope Hamilton can get more competitive this year, even though they will be slightly better. HampdenMAD where are u mate?

I also saw South/Koroit game. Best game of HFNL league football i have seen in a long, long time. Both teams had outstanding mids - Saunders and Hussey for South..McIntyre and Gow for Koroit. The game was actually too good for the umpires who struggled to keep up with the run & gun style played both teams. South were in front when it matter and deserved the 4 points. Credit to both coaches for rolling out such an attacking, yet physical game style. They look like being teams 2 and 3 at this point which will give them a real chance of success.

W'bool - only 4 goals has to be a concern up at the Reid...jungle drums?
Port - I wonder if they have started printing up the stubby holders and t-shirts yet? Nicholson is best player in league by a distance- pay money to go and watch him. I wonder if the faithful have heard these words...." I can handle failure, it's hope that kills me"
Cobden- deserve their early success..hard at it and hard to play against- will do some damage.
Koroit- should finish top 3 and most teams wont want to play them on the Reid- resilient group
South- Big improvers- play the right way and will be right in the mix- good for the league to have them up again
Terang-Mortlake- great win round one but not sure after camperdown handled them easily
Camperdown- on the improve and will win a far share of games if they can keep Blain and Carse on park.
Portland- have to beat Hamilton this week to have any chance...
North- is it all too hard for North at this point to back it up ? - Maybe all eggs in last year and fell short - looks like there is no plan B, little recruiting, South & Cobden will pass them. Their game v Wbool could be an 8 pointer- make or break.
Hamilton- we need them to be successful but hard to see how unless they can recruit some top end talent like Port have.

Good review there Caritas. Pretty much spot on as well.
I reckon you guys are writing Hamilton off too early, they unveil a couple of recruits to against Portland today, one of them played for Fremantle.
I think they will be too strong for Portland today especially with our two best midfielders, Murray and Falcone out injured.
Going to be a long season for the Tigers

Warnambool to good for Tigers yesterday. Portland had a good second qtr but apart from that wbool had control. Jed Turland turned it on in the 3rd kicking 3 goals and a poster. Guy Saunders played in reserves..looked good..hope he hangs around.

Great start the year it looks like it could be pretty open at this time of the year.

Cobden looks strong and have solid players across the field I really hope they can continue their strong form across the season. It will be interesting to see how they go when they play the teams in the top 5.

Sth have come out all guns blazing. They may have had a lucky run getting a weaker Koroit, Warrnabool and North though?? They will have plenty to prove moving forward.

Koroit look a little shaky but when templeton and oconnor start playing together perhaps they will come together and it will be every other team that starts shaking? Watch them they will be hard to beat over the next 3 months.

Nth are the interesting ones.. What has happened out there? or are they just finding their feet at the start of the season? They have a big 4-5 games coming up they have to win a high % to stay in touch with the top 3.

Port Fairy still look the team to beat is it injury that will be the only thing to give the rest of the competetion hope? Or will teams find a way to expose their weakness of lack of depth?

Top 5 prediction

Koroit
Port Fairy
Cobden
South
Nth
Terang

Before last Saturday, I thought Port Fairy was that above the comp they can start ordering their premiership T-Shirts, make room in the trophy cabinet and wall space for the flag. But losing to a lower rank side Terang has put the spanner in the works. After Port Fairy then I rated Cobden, Koroit and Souths on the same par, then North. Top 5 is locked in. Souths has a lot of talent but they just lack key fwds to kick goals. Paddy is the only elite small fwd also. Campderdown, W'bool and Terang will be the next 3, Portland then Hamilton on the bottom. If Hamilton and Portland want to be competitive in this comp, they will have to import players. If Port Fairy didn't import players they would be at the other end of the ladder 2.

Before last Saturday, I thought Port Fairy was that above the comp they can start ordering their premiership T-Shirts, make room in the trophy cabinet and wall space for the flag. But losing to a lower rank side Terang has put the spanner in the works. After Port Fairy then I rated Cobden, Koroit and Souths on the same par, then North. Top 5 is locked in. Souths has a lot of talent but they just lack key fwds to kick goals. Paddy is the only elite small fwd also. Campderdown, W'bool and Terang will be the next 3, Portland then Hamilton on the bottom. If Hamilton and Portland want to be competitive in this comp, they will have to import players. If Port Fairy didn't import players they would be at the other end of the ladder 2.

V.good post beachboy- got the order about right too i reckon. Watched port v north on Sat and the seagulls have 6 of the top dozen players in comp...not only does this give them a tall and mobile spine it allows some ok players to get off the chain. He may not get the accolades of Nicholson and Holmer etc but Rudolph is key. He floats across half back which frees up Sully to run and carry the footy. The other huge advantage they have is that Sandy Robinson is a gun...as dangerous as a forward as he is as a ruckman- good motor, kick goals and too tall for most HFNL back-men. Throw in Nicholson- who in my opinion is the best player in the league, then it really is theirs to lose. North were in the game for decent parts - mainly thru T. Wassem and X Mills but 36 scoring shots tells the real story.

A quick glance at the ladder supports beachboy's theory....points kicked for South 489, Koroit 488, Cobden 484 ( the outlier here is Port on a huge 524), The blues with only 313 points -a major concern. 200 less than Port and 170-180 less than these 3 ...

Tips rnd 6
I reckon Cobden will just get South
Koroit over the Blues
North over Portland
Port will kick a cricket score v camperdown if they are fair dinkum
Terang will beat Hamilton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back