Prediction GWS Giants v Adelaide Crows Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Taranto is not setting the world on fire - but is NOT a liability. I'd be dropping others before him. Kennedy never has and is still not an AFL standard player.
You are aware you are talking about a kid in his fourth game?
"never has" is a comment displaying a lack of knowledge about the team.

FWIW at the time you posted it Grif has had exactly the same amount of possessions yet hit a target 6 out of 12 times and done virtually nothing with the 6 that hit, Matt had hit 9 out of 11 and kicked a goal with the other, despite many of them being inside balls.

The team was let down by it's midfield leaders JK aside, not it's kids.

A very odd demeanour from the boys today. Didn't look like they wanted to be out there at all.
15/22 were genuinely running flat, the sort of performance where you find out much later gastro or something had gone through the team..
Next week will be very interesting.

Hey guys sorry for intrusion, how did tarranto play today? Massive hype over pre season training, going to follow the first 3 picks with intrest. Thanks

My little rant begins here
" At some point it's gotta stop being ok for oppo fans to infest our sections in the crowd. We had a half sized secrion of around 100 people today and there were many 10's of thoisands of seats for Crows fans. A lady behind me in our section me spent half the match whinging about our concessions, and then told two kids who yelled out go Giants to shut up because they were visitors and disrespectful.
I regret not saying something and my reticence was only becuase I from a generation that is uncomfortable swearing at women, and the kids parents were there and I felt it wasn't my place.

It's generally not that bad at spotless but I have had to move away from oppo fans in the members stand.
Time it stopped. "
Rant over.
Now I will go and congratulate the Crows on their board, take a deep breath as Ichabod said and look forward to the Suns game.
I had a completely different experience at the SCG yesterday and after the game as well. Swan supporters in general were humbe in defeat and happy to praise Port for a game well played.

I had a completely different experience at the SCG yesterday and after the game as well. Swan supporters in general were humbe in defeat and happy to praise Port for a game well played.
Bear in mind it is one individual, my rant isn't against the Crows supporters. Literally some of my best freinds etc. It is having them in the middle of our tiny section. I didnt sit in a Crows section because my cheering etc would be out of synch, just want the same courtesy.

You are aware you are talking about a kid in his fourth game?
"never has" is a comment displaying a lack of knowledge about the team.

FWIW at the time you posted it Grif has had exactly the same amount of possessions yet hit a target 6 out of 12 times and done virtually nothing with the 6 that hit, Matt had hit 9 out of 11 and kicked a goal with the other, despite many of them being inside balls.

The team was let down by it's midfield leaders JK aside, not it's kids.
Adam Kennedy not Matt I would guess.

Hey guys sorry for intrusion, how did tarranto play today? Massive hype over pre season training, going to follow the first 3 picks with intrest. Thanks
Did fine for a guy on debut in a side being beaten around the ball, he will be an elite talent, did enough to hold his spot, as did MK, Mzungu's injury helps their JS

Nothing to do with our outs, everything to do with our attitude. When you get beaten by nearly 10 goals and make 10 less tackles than the opposition then I question the coaching staff. Yes the players hold responsibility but I give you this: would a Luke beveridge coached side have given up like this?

Nothing to do with our outs, everything to do with our attitude. When you get beaten by nearly 10 goals and make 10 less tackles than the opposition then I question the coaching staff. Yes the players hold responsibility but I give you this: would a Luke beveridge coached side have given up like this?

Yeah, I tend to agree, I've just been going through today's stats on footywire and our midfielders (Kelly and Scully) aside were well down on their tackle count today vs their career history. Their pressure acts weren't missing as such but were at measurable levels below last years "average game".
Confident we will see a different performance next week.

As bad as today was.

It was round 1 against a top 4 team at their home.

Last year we got flogged by a team picked to be bottom 4 and went on to be 1 kick away from a GF.

Lets see what happens against the Suns.

Though will say their effort and team work/support was abysmal today. They didn't seem to want to be there.

Same old problems. Get some pressure on and we capitulate into long bombs that just don't work. We end up relying on players to win one on one contests and it just doesn't happen in today's game. Coniglio was really missed - the extra runner missing really hurt. Griffen was ok, but he's definitely lost a step or five and after that it was rookies.
Yeah, I tend to agree, I've just been going through today's stats on footywire and our midfielders (Kelly and Scully) aside were well down on their tackle count today vs their career history. Their pressure acts weren't missing as such but were at measurable levels below last years "average game".
Very much agree with these two assessments. Also, no doubt losing Mzungu early hurt our rotations, with match fitness not fully there early in the season and in the heat. No excuses as every comes into the game with a full PS, but we got blown away in the back half of the last two quarters, and a lesser blowout at end of second quarter. In that second quarter we 'lost our composure' as LC said, and resorted to kicking blindly - with the ball coming straight back in. The bombs into the F50 throughout were galling. At times Adelaide seemed to outnumber our players everywhere, so guys weren't being accountable, and then we played some dumb footy so even when we were 2 on 1 or 3 on 2 we still turned over the ball. Tiredness and a losing scoreline then contributed to a loss of two-way running, and suddenly it's a blowout. Too many errors from everyone, but especially the senior guys and those especially hurt when not specifically under pressure.

I thought Phil Davis had a tremendous game down back, but just swamped under all of the Crows' inside 50s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:rolleyes: I wonder if our new mod is au fait with the process to organise a ròom? This could get ugly

Looks like a thrashing and can only hope we get some improvement for next weeks game. Not keen to watch a replay of the game but will suffer through tonight after work. In a game like that it should be up to the more experienced to step up like SJ, Griff, Ward and Mummy which I will look for in the game

Felt a bit like the Collingwood game from last year. Get out to a reasonably easy early lead, think this'll be a walk in the park, and then be completely unable to cope with a team coming at them and getting on a roll.

Looks like a thrashing and can only hope we get some improvement for next weeks game. Not keen to watch a replay of the game but will suffer through tonight after work. In a game like that it should be up to the more experienced to step up like SJ, Griff, Ward and Mummy which I will look for in the game
Please get it done and comment as you wish as soon as practical. The we can put that game away and never speak of it again.

Between Heath Shaw's bakes on the ground, and Leon Cameron's bakes when they come off the ground, there must be times it's not much fun to be a Giants player. "The bakes will continue until morale improves."

Realistically the next couple of games should be straightforward, and round 1 will soon be long forgotten. Just like last year's insipid collapse vs Melbourne was.

Thought Adelaide's game style won the day. Did a better job of retaining the ball by foot. Between chasing the ball around all game and Mzungu's injury, the Giants were exhausted. This same set of conditions won't readily reoccur.

Griffen again fails to stand up when needed. 16 possessions @ 62.5% disposal efficiency. If he gets games ahead of a fit Hopper/Taranto/M Kennedy I'll be very disappointed.

Bear in mind it is one individual, my rant isn't against the Crows supporters. Literally some of my best freinds etc. It is having them in the middle of our tiny section. I didnt sit in a Crows section because my cheering etc would be out of synch, just want the same courtesy.
Please excuse me for intruding. I don't know if yesterdays game was a sellout but generally match day seats are at a premium. I believe a certain amount of seats are initially reserved for opposition supporters. Those not sold are then offered to the general public. Every seat is up for sale. This woman may not have had a choice if she wanted a seat or she may just have preferred that position on the ground. Having said that anyone would be well within their rights to tell her to mind her own business and let the boys barrack for who they want.

Please excuse me for intruding. I don't know if yesterdays game was a sellout but generally match day seats are at a premium. I believe a certain amount of seats are initially reserved for opposition supporters. Those not sold are then offered to the general public. Every seat is up for sale. This woman may not have had a choice if she wanted a seat or she may just have preferred that position on the ground. Having said that anyone would be well within their rights to tell her to mind her own business and let the boys barrack for who they want.
Fair enough to comment, we're not a precious board as a rule. It didn't look like a sellout at 43k to me though.
My rant is more general and also included too many oppo supporters in the members stand at Spotless.
In general I liked the Crows crowd, they're passionate supporters of their team, and dont cross lines cheering injuries etc.
Even the staff at AO were very helpful, seemed to get Giants supporters likely to be first time at the ground.
Lastly the vibe was way better than our last game at home which had ugly undertones.
Having oppo supporters in our zones pisses me off though.

Bad luck yesterday, guys.

I just wanted to poke my head in here to offer kudos to Phil Davis for the concern he showed for Betts when he landed on his head. I'm not generally a big Davis fan (for obvious reasons :p), but that was all class, especially since think the ball was actually still in play :thumbsu:

Adelaide is a quality team and difficult to match up on over the ground, hardly sky is falling type of game.

We were smashed in contested possessions, not sure on numbers but I'd say we were way down. Shiel took a bit to get going and Kelly seemed to quieten off after a good first half. A lot of guys were fumbly and missing that one touch gather we usually see.

If we look like this 3 games into the season it's a worry, but round one against Adelaide is not a bad way to blow the cobwebs off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back