Linda_Lovelace

Cancelled
Jul 28, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Tried to find a thread on this but could not.

Anyway 'Deisel' was renowned as being a very selfish individual and this just highlights what a prick he is. He thinks this will give him credibility ie a third Brownlow but all it is showing is how self centered he really is. I am sure there were games where he got votes that were questionable.

All this has confirmed is what a scum bag he is. No wonder he gets along well with Elliot.

Williams: I want justice
26 September 2006 Herald-Sun
Daryl Timms and Jon Anderson

FORMER Carlton champion Greg Williams yesterday instructed his lawyers to prepare a submission to the AFL commission over the circumstances surrounding the Brownlow Medal votes in Round 10, 1993.
Should Diesel get another medal?

Diesel robbed: Monday's Herald Sun.

Williams' lawyers will ask the AFL to review the voting procedures in the game.

The request follows a startling revelation this week from umpire Murray Bird that he wanted to award Williams votes, but claims senior umpire Peter Russo ignored his advice and awarded them to three other players.

Williams, who had 44 possessions in the game against Melbourne, lost the Brownlow Medal to Essendon's Gavin Wanganeen by one vote.

Although there have been other players who have surprisingly not received votes in games, Williams says his case is completely different because an umpire had wanted to award him votes.

``There was no consensus so it was done against the rules,'' the two-time Brownlow medallist said.

``I always knew something like this had happened. I just want justice.''

Bird claimed that when he suggested Williams be given votes, Russo asked him if the mid-fielder had made their job any easier.

Bird said no and claimed Williams had given them a hard time during the game.

But Russo has denied having that conversation with Bird, a Queensland based umpire who officiated in 43 games from 1990-94.

Williams said that based on Bird's claims and irrespective of his 44 possessions, he should have been given votes.

``I don't give a stuff what anybody says, I should have won three Brownlows,'' he said.

And Rod Ashman has some credits when it comes to the Brownlow Medal and for him a Williams 44-possession game would just about guarantee three votes.

Ashman was beaten by just one vote in the 1981 Brownlow, polling 21 votes, one behind joint winners Barry Round and Bernie Quinlan.

While his Carlton senior coach in David Parkin readily admits Williams' 1993 Round 10 is vague in his memory, Ashman recalled it last night as a ``typical Williams game''.

``You would have to say 44 possessions, particularly coming from the hand or foot of Greg Williams, would be a fairly significant contribution,'' said Ashman, who played 236 games (370 goals, two premierships in 1981-82).

``It surprised me that one of the officiating umpires in that game, John Russo, said he didn't notice a lot of Williams' handballs. We could certainly see them.

``I'm sure umpires took it into account when awarding votes if you were personal in abusing them.''

When Williams ran second in the 1993 Brownlow Medal to Essendon's Gavin Wanganeen, beaten by one vote, Danny Corcoran was the Bombers' football manager.

He recalls the night and as great as he knows Williams was, says he wasn't surprised when Wanganeen won.

``Later in the year at training a lot of people around the club started calling Gavin `Brownlow'. It became embarrassing for him,'' Corcoran said.

``I can't remember him ever playing as well again. His attack, recovery and speed from the back pocket added a new dimension to football.''

I wonder if Goodes will look back on his premiership and 2 Brownlows with the same sense of bitterness as Greg Williams. I think in retrospect that nine week suspension they gave him for pushing the umpire wasn't harsh enough. They should've shot him and put him out of his misery.

Chewy said:
I wonder if Goodes will look back on his premiership and 2 Brownlows with the same sense of bitterness as Greg Williams. I think in retrospect that nine week suspension they gave him for pushing the umpire wasn't harsh enough. They should've shot him and put him out of his misery.

He is a sad fellow, n'est ce pas???:eek:

He's a knob and obviously lost sight of the fact that it's a best AND fairest award. If he's running around giving the umpires stick all day and being dirty, then he could have a 100 possession game and still stick the votes up his fat arse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back