Golf Golf technique

Remove this Banner Ad

By way of contrast here is the greatest player in the history of the game pitching from where appears to be smack bang off middle (with minimal if any forward shaft lean - which Phil said is another no no).

There's more than 1 way to do it, and tour players will often vary stance, ball position, swing steepness, shaft lean, etc. depending on the shot they need to play.

I find this challenging as a beginner/novice as you get different advice from all different sources.

I've been hitting some balls in a practice area recently, have developed just a really basic, repeatable 40 metre chip/pitch. It won't work everywhere, but it's a starting point for just getting the ball off the ground and to land within 50 metres. Next part will be playing with the other variables for specific shots and conditions.

There's more than 1 way to do it, and tour players will often vary stance, ball position, swing steepness, shaft lean, etc. depending on the shot they need to play.

I find this challenging as a beginner/novice as you get different advice from all different sources.

I've been hitting some balls in a practice area recently, have developed just a really basic, repeatable 40 metre chip/pitch. It won't work everywhere, but it's a starting point for just getting the ball off the ground and to land within 50 metres. Next part will be playing with the other variables for specific shots and conditions.
Pitch and putt is a great way to hone this shot too. Every hole between 40 to 60 metres. You soon learn to feel the difference between the different length holes which is handy on a full length course....what was my feel, swing length etc. on a 40m hole...and do the same swing on the course. You will not hit every hole in reg so it allows practice of short chips and putts as well. Takes about the same time as 9 holes or even less. Very valuable imo.

Pitch and putt is a great way to hone this shot too. Every hole between 40 to 60 metres. You soon learn to feel the difference between the different length holes which is handy on a full length course....what was my feel, swing length etc. on a 40m hole...and do the same swing on the course. You will not hit every hole in reg so it allows practice of short chips and putts as well. Takes about the same time as 9 holes or even less. Very valuable imo.
Yep have played there a few times. Good fun too as it's a nice change from just swinging for the hills in the distance. I often comment when I play there too that the greens are quite small, meaning if you can learn to hit them from 60m out, it should play well on real courses that have wider greens to land on.

I think that one of the reasons social players struggle with chipping and pitching is the lack of facilities where you can practice this part of the game.

Eg Albert Park range chipping green is a blight on the sport and public course I've played don't offer a pitching/chipping green. Or they ban you from chipping onto the practice putting green.

I think that one of the reasons social players struggle with chipping and pitching is the lack of facilities where you can practice this part of the game.

Eg Albert Park range chipping green is a blight on the sport and public course I've played don't offer a pitching/chipping green. Or they ban you from chipping onto the practice putting green.
Probably the best players can get out a course when its not overly busy (not at the moment)..play the hole then spend a minute chipping and putting. Probably the best way to go about it....edited...got to do this a lot this arvo....working on the chip to reduce any forward shaft lean...coming along nicely.

Last edited:
Short game lesson today. It appears my technique (which I already knew) is f#%ked.

Squared my feet/hips/shoulders up a lot (was too open)...to stop me hitting too far off back foot..doesn't mind off back...but not as far.

This is the bit I struggled with...keeping width in regards to my hands being a foot or a bit more, away from my body at finish of backswing (I am too close therefore too step on way back down). Then make sure you rotate body through (I was a bit too much just arms working and not body). Then do it with nice tempo.

Far out did I blade some balls and walked away demoralised (although hitting off tight lie type mat did not help).

Was encouraged to play plenty of 8 irons chip and runs....my technique is great for this...although I used to use a more lofted club.

Putting he liked although a slight adjustment to get the putter to sit a tad flatter (wasn't terrible)...although when I was practising after it seemed to make ball bounce a bit off face on longer putts.

Last edited:
Short game lesson today. It appears my technique (which I already new) is f#%ked.

Squared my feet/hips/shoulders up a lot (was too open)...to stop me hitting too far off back foot..doesn't mind off back...but not as far.

This is the bit I struggled with...keeping width in regards to my hands being a foot or a bit more, away from my body at finish of backswing (I am too close therefore too step on way back down). Then make sure you rotate body through (I was a bit too much just arms working and not body). Then do it with nice tempo.

Far out did I blade some balls and walked away demoralised (although hitting off tight lie type mat did not help).

Was encouraged to play plenty of 8 irons chip and runs....my technique is great for this...although I used to use a more lofted club.

Putting he liked although a slight adjustment to get the putter to sit a tad flatter (wasn't terrible)...although when I was practising after it seemed to make ball bounce a bit off face on longer putts.
Who was the coach?

Nice job Scrappy. You are in the 1% of students who have bothered to have a short game lesson. You'll reap the benefits in time. Rohan is a great coach (and a mad punter :tongueclosed:).

Just simulate the movements every chance you get until they feel natural. Eg around the house and in the back yard without a ball.

Nice job Scrappy. You are in the 1% of students who have bothered to have a short game lesson. You'll reap the benefits in time. Rohan is a great coach (and a mad punter :tongueclosed:).

Just simulate the movements every chance you get until they feel natural. Eg around the house and in the back yard without a ball.
Chipped in (60 degree wedge) for an eagle today in a praccy round. Hole before hit 2 balls..got both up and down for birdies! Both were very short holes though. One was the 8 iron pitch and run and the other was a high soft 60. Tracking nicely.

And I felt like throwing my Driver on the hard rubbish collection yesterday. But today had a old swing thought of making sure my weight (or pressure) was loaded on my inside of my right heel at the finish of my backswing...and bingo the thing decided to cooperate.

Last edited:
Having a hit this morning in the backyard and concentrated only on one thing...from something I was taught years ago...and haven't paid any attention to it for years.

First move in in downswing..a gentle push or bump (not too big) with left hip towards target. A little sliding of hips if you like. (Also a force going into and through my feet downwards).

Felt like I had a little more tempo in swing. Could not really go to hard at it.

Result. Ball flight was definitely lower every time. Much more like how I used to hit when I was younger. Interesting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here’s a lesson for any of you golfing junkies who like to buy new equipment all of the time. I’ve gone back to my SW & LW that I used to use before I started tinkering with new wedges.
I’m using the Cleveland CG15 56* and CG16 60* wedges. They’re better than my Callaway and Mizuno wedges I just sold on eBay. Btw, I sold over $1700 worth of clubs excluding freight. A lot of Golf Box and some GCO purchases in there for bargain base prices.
Lastly, is it a bad thing to do short chips around the green one handed with your right hand. I’m left handed and my left hand causes me grief when chipping. Now that I’m chipping one handed it is easier to hit down on the ball and I’m chipping real well. Slightly embarrassing though. Better than the skull ****s and digging a hole to China.

Here’s a lesson for any of you golfing junkies who like to buy new equipment all of the time. I’ve gone back to my SW & LW that I used to use before I started tinkering with new wedges.
I’m using the Cleveland CG15 56* and CG16 60* wedges. They’re better than my Callaway and Mizuno wedges I just sold on eBay. Btw, I sold over $1700 worth of clubs excluding freight. A lot of Golf Box and some GCO purchases in there for bargain base prices.
Lastly, is it a bad thing to do short chips around the green one handed with your right hand. I’m left handed and my left hand causes me grief when chipping. Now that I’m chipping one handed it is easier to hit down on the ball and I’m chipping real well. Slightly embarrassing though. Better than the skull fu**s and digging a hole to China.
With clubs that aren't really distance reliant I reckon you could keep them for a long time based on feel, like putter and wedges. Its the irons, hybrids and drivers that get more forgiving and more game improving over time and you want to be hitting longer that probably more need replacing to not be leaving distance out there.

With clubs that aren't really distance reliant I reckon you could keep them for a long time based on feel, like putter and wedges. Its the irons, hybrids and drivers that get more forgiving and more game improving over time and you want to be hitting longer that probably more need replacing to not be leaving distance out there.
My old irons (Mizuno JPX 825) seemed to have lost its spring. Plus, miss hit punch shots are now getting to the greens again whereas my old irons would go nowhere.
They were 8 years old. Coincidentally I replaced my Callaway Big Bertha irons 4-PW after 8 years as well. I’ll replace these current irons (Cleveland Launcher UHX) in 4 or 5 years I reckon. My new Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo driver is really pinging for me. It is loud too. A lot of golfers don’t like that but I don’t mind. I’ll buy the 3 wood when the price drops hopefully.
I can see why better players don’t like the hot faces though. I need all the help though. It has definitely recharged my batteries and I want to play again. And practice as well.

My old irons (Mizuno JPX 825) seemed to have lost its spring. Plus, miss hit punch shots are now getting to the greens again whereas my old irons would go nowhere.
They were 8 years old. Coincidentally I replaced my Callaway Big Bertha irons 4-PW after 8 years as well. I’ll replace these current irons (Cleveland Launcher UHX) in 4 or 5 years I reckon. My new Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo driver is really pinging for me. It is loud too. A lot of golfers don’t like that but I don’t mind. I’ll buy the 3 wood when the price drops hopefully.
I can see why better players don’t like the hot faces though. I need all the help though. It has definitely recharged my batteries and I want to play again. And practice as well.
Cleveland clubs how you finding the UHX? Little cheaper than offerings from the others, but if performance is the same thats great. Ive got the turbo driver and CBX2 wedges.

Cleveland clubs how you finding the UHX? Little cheaper than offerings from the others, but if performance is the same thats great. Ive got the turbo driver and CBX2 wedges.
Just the one round so far and no practice with them. Just a quick background update. I’m 47 and I’ve always hit my irons pretty good. However, the last few years or so I have lost distance because of a combination of things. One being that I’m rocking back on my back foot. I’m not blaming age yet as I’ve strengthened my muscles due to back problems from lack of muscle use. I’m also not getting the club face square at impact.

Back to the Cleveland UHX’s and hot face of the irons is compensating for my miss hits. Before I bought them I’ve spent the last month trying different clubs and watching heaps of iron testing clips on YouTube. A lot of testers kept saying that the Cleveland Launcher UHX irons were the best that they tested in the Game Improvement irons. The Launcher HB driver was outperforming or comparable to the top drivers on the market for 2/3rds the price.
My initial line of thinking was to keep using Mizuno irons. I had tested and was in the process of buying the JPX 919’s. However, when the sales bloke rang Mizuno to check on stock, none. The replacement model isn’t out until September or October. It isn’t supposed to be released until February 2021.
Then I was set on the Ping 410’s. They look awesome but the reviews weren’t convincing. I had to convince myself and overcome a lot of personal bias to purchase the UHX’s. I’m glad I did even though I was still questioning the decision while the irons were in transit from GolfBox.
They aren’t a great looking club but they aren’t ugly either. However, there seems to be that reassuring extra weight in the head that inspires confidence.

My clubs are all 6 months old or newer except one. My titleist SM56 degree bounce 10, my favourite in the bag. It is getting on....bit like me, and it is looking quite worn....right in the sweet spot lol. IMG20200717143306.jpg

Last edited:
My clubs are all 6 months old or newer except one. My titleist SM56 degree bounce 10, my favourite in the bag. It is getting on....bit like me, and it is looking quite worn....right in the sweet spot lol.View attachment 913770
You need to name it, that way you'll never throw it out.

I am absolutely mind blown. Using that planemate I have been going on about, I am over half way through the wedge learning protocols.

It is the strangest sensation, very hard to explain. Practising and repeating positions (the course is online) with a resist band attached to a special belt on your waist, to your club. Slowly building up from a very simple move to a full swing. When you take it off OMG the club feels like a match stick in your hand. Now, I have elbow issues on both sides and sometimes hovering the club off the ground behind the ball is unpleasant. Now....after working muscles for a few days, no pain and I feel so strong in the golf swing moves. The club automatically goes to good positions. The muscle memory takes over.

I routinely video my swing to see if I am off plane...especially the first little bit in the take away and crossing over at the top have been a problem forever. I did my stage 5 protocol (nearly finished the first series)...band on with a wedge. I just took it off and took video of a 7 iron shot and I have never seen a better looking swing for me...ever. Right on plane initially....then a steep bit, they explain it like holding an Umbrella (the shaft being like rod of the umbrella). And then a "shallowing" of the club (which looked awesome in my video)..then impact through to a decent finish.

Nearly brought a tear to my eye thinking of all the effort, lessons, practice etc. and never been able to do it really really well! Stoked.

Heres a review

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back