Gold, Silver and other precious metals

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
I've just started looking into the investment options offered by the Perth Mint and to diversify a little am thinking of putting a very minimal portion into Gold and Silver.

Anyone had any experiences? Long term trends show an upward trajectory so it looks a fairly reasonable long term hold play.

I've just started looking into the investment options offered by the Perth Mint and to diversify a little am thinking of putting a very minimal portion into Gold and Silver.

Anyone had any experiences? Long term trends show an upward trajectory so it looks a fairly reasonable long term hold

their is other places other than the Perth mint ...

their is City Bullion, Downies that that you can buy gold, silver, coins etc (depending on which state you are in)

and their is some 2nd hand stores (in gold states) that you can buy some gold (from those that find it and then sell it )

their is other places other than the Perth mint ...

their is City Bullion, Downies that that you can buy gold, silver, coins etc (depending on which state you are in)

and their is some 2nd hand stores (in gold states) that you can buy some gold (from those that find it and then sell it )
PM fit my needs at the time. I made an investment in Gold/Silver, but a few months later I needed the funds so ended up selling for a tiny profit. Wasn't in it long enough, the prices had only slightly gone up for Silver and Gold had remained fairly steady.

I haven't yet bought back in.

FYI there is also GOLD and QAU (ETFs) listed on the ASX as a proxy for physical gold.
Perth Mint also have QMGOLD listed

I would also look into the historical rate of return of the gold mining companies compared to gold, personally, I'd be more comfortable investing in the mining companies (particularly those with more than one commodity) than gold itself.

That said, I've always been burned over the long-term with mining companies, they always feel like short-term plays.

Not sure if this thread is still active. I'm using the ABC Bullion Gold Saver account for about 18 months now. My portfolio has gone up about 4% in that time so nothing huge but enough that it's worth it to me for the diversification. The GOLD:ASX ETF is probably better value as it is up 16% in the last 12 months. Depends on how you want to play and what you want at the end. ABC Bullion does seem to be operating on a platform that is old (no apps, only basic account information) but it gets the job done. I also like the lack of fees involved compared to buying ETF's weekly/fortnightly/monthly.

Gold is a store of wealth, don't look at it as an investment (unless you are investing in its extraction)
I definitely agree it's not an investment for most investors, the only people who make money off gold are the traders and insiders at gold companies.

Is it still a store of wealth though? If you drop 10k into gold right now and leave it there for 5 years will you be better off than a term deposit? I'm not sure I'd put 10k into gold instead of a term deposit if I needed it in the near term.

I've always struggled with physical gold, as above I much prefer the Gold companies, if at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back