• Yep, GTFO

Votes: 129 63.9%
  • Nah, gun. Keep him in.

Votes: 12 5.9%
  • Send him to the SANFL to find form

Votes: 61 30.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Let him play a final game against North in the final round. He can retain some dignity, as unfortunately the club has destroyed the supporters pride.

Whether it’s the clutz on the boundary, Casper the player or just the same old 10 possession Mookay, it is time to call time on this career. The fact that Sholl and the next gen are being impacted by his continued selection, rather than enhanced by his ‘experience’ and ‘professionalism’, is a blight on our side, our club and our coaching team who need to call it for what it is. Mediocrity. Enough.

Sholl wasn't moved to accommodate Mackay, Berry was out and someone had to take that half forward role, so it was decided the youngster had to sacrifice his game and unselfish Mackay had to step up and take the bigger midfield role.

It's hilarious that we'd push a wingman who averaged 20+ disposals this year to half forward so we can accommoapdate a 15 touch wingman. Totally absurd, but that's Matthew Nicks for you.
And Don Pyke, and Phil Walsh and Scott Camporeale.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

Good for the highlight reel but that was a terrible handball by Jones.
Thought the handball was where it had to be

Just didn't dawn on Mackay that the pressuring player would force the handball there

He's a by the numbers player

Time and space he's fine. When it's tough and congested and you need your smarts he doesn't have any.

Just didn't dawn on Mackay that the pressuring player would force the handball there

Time and space he's fine. When it's tough and congested and you need your smarts he doesn't have any.

There were two amazing efforts to keep the ball in play yesterday. One was Thilthorpe, the other was Mackay.

Both resulted in goals 🤓

Sholl wasn't moved to accommodate Mackay, Berry was out and someone had to take that half forward role, so it was decided the youngster had to sacrifice his game and unselfish Mackay had to step up and take the bigger midfield role.

mackay was starting on a wing most centre bounces last week too. It seems to me that Sholl took Seed's ahead of the ball minutes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd say that Mackay's ongoing selection encapsulates everything that is wrong and has been wrong with our club

We overvalue training form
We value longevity above all else
Are extremely poor at rating players (we don't rate Lyons and Greenwood, we do rate Mackay)
We become enamoured with good club men (Otten gets a grand final) rather than making hard calls (McDermott, McGuiness)
The sense of entitlement among senior players is enabled by our coaches
There's a pecking order that can't be overriden (good luck Berry or Schoenberg getting midfield minutes ahead of Sloane)
We find it difficult to differentiate between the person and the footballer. D Mac (and Otten and Reilly and VB and Shirley and Doughty and Stevo and Dougie and Ken and Kelly) is the type of person we want to see succeed.

No it's not Mackay's fault but the Mackay logic we use to govern all our decisions is the root of our problems. How is 'comes from a good family' a recruiting factor worth noting? Does Dusty come from a good family?

Listening to premiership coaches and captains in their commentary they are exceptionally demanding of a team's senior players. Crunch times are when the senior players have to step up. End of. They drive performance and culture.

We instead are very forgiving of our senior players.

Apart from the never ending D Mac selection saga our next couple of tough calls are Sloane's captaincy and Lynch's contract. I suspect that a ruthless, performance culture driven club would wind up Sloane's captaincy and farewell Lynch and Mackay.

What will we do?

Quoting Drugs' comment from the Pies thread.

Have always felt that our selection policy is run more like a high school sports team where senior kids get picked because they’re in Year 12 and won’t have any more chances, while more talented younger players miss out.

The school Trigg used to work at did this across the board, and while I don’t see it as problematic in a school setting for sporting club competing on a national level we need to shift to a more professional mentality. While there has been a shift in terms of playing new draftees in recent years, it still feels like lip service in that they only get a very short run and then banished to the SANFL and the ongoing selection of under-performing older players makes me think we’re still someway off.

It really need to be to the left of Mackay but instead it's ended up on his right and right down at his feet, really hard to expect Mackay to gather that cleanly.

Would like to see the footage just before as I half recall Jones running himself into trouble but if he didn't and that's all he could do, then I don't think we can fault Mackay too much for running backwards one way, the ball coming the other side at his ankles and not taking it cleanly.

It really need to be to the left of Mackay but instead it's ended up on his right and right down at his feet, really hard to expect Mackay to gather that cleanly.

Would like to see the footage just before as I half recall Jones running himself into trouble but if he didn't and that's all he could do, then I don't think we can fault Mackay too much for running backwards one way, the ball coming the other side at his ankles and not taking it cleanly.
It couldn't be to the left of Mackay because of the opposition player

If he gets it on a platter under zero pressure he's fine, anything else he can't handle

It couldn't be to the left of Mackay because of the opposition player

If he gets it on a platter under zero pressure he's fine, anything else he can't handle
No one would run facing the other way as they lose their entire vision of what is around them. The fault is that the handball fell too short.

I would have expected most players to fumble that, the only difference is Mackay in his Mackayness managed to fumble it and keep it in play.

No one would run facing the other way as they lose their entire vision of what is around them. The fault is that the handball fell too short.

I would have expected most players to fumble that, the only difference is Mackay in his Mackayness managed to fumble it and keep it in play.
Lol. It was not a difficult handball to take hold of. Sure it could have been perfect to his chest if the Collingwood player wasn’t in front of Jones.

It was a classic Mackay fumble. I’d back 80-90% of players to take it.

A good player would have realised he was not going to get a lace out handball that hits him in stride so that he can canter away

He overcommitted to receiving a lace out handball to his perfect spot and when that didn't come he was wrong footed and fell over. Just an ounce of balance and poise would have allowed him to adjust when the handball was forced wide

Not only did he fall over, but the lack of desperation to get back up and either get the ball or apply pressure to the Collingwood player was trademark Mackay.

A good player would have realised he was not going to get a lace out handball that hits him in stride so that he can canter away

He overcommitted to receiving a lace out handball to his perfect spot and when that didn't come he was wrong footed and fell over. Just an ounce of balance and poise would have allowed him to adjust when the handball was forced wide
A good player would be able to adjust and take possession.

Mackay isn’t a good player.

He’s a good trainer though so sign him up for another year.

Back