Gold Coast sports curse

Does the Gold Coast sports curse exist?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Brutal. Says a lot about your character to stick with them though. Do you think the Cavs can finally break the curse this year?
Maybe, on paper the cava are the best side but the Spurs are the best "team" I have ever seen so they strike a lot of fear in my eyes and after watching the Warriors this morning there is not many team who are going to beat them

I'm telling you guys this curse is real. Look at what happened today for the suns and titans. Every time something good looks like it's on the horizon something blocks it from continuing. Not to worry though the wiki page says we only have to put up with for another three years when it expires in 2018.

I propose we contact a witch doctor, or similar.. Someone who can give us good karma and fung shuei .. Anything to help lift this curse
That's a great idea! One slight issue - if the wiki page is to be believed then none of the things attached to the curse still exist. Carrara stadium got demolished, the bears folded, Albert shire council got swallowed by the gc council and skase died 14 years ago. Some sort of ritual to lift the curse would be hard to do if nothing still exists.

I propose we contact a witch doctor, or similar.. Someone who can give us good karma and fung shuei .. Anything to help lift this curse
That's a great idea! One slight issue - if the wiki page is to be believed then none of the things attached to the curse still exist. Carrara stadium got demolished, the bears folded, Albert shire council got swallowed by the gc council and skase died 14 years ago. Some sort of ritual to lift the curse would be hard to do if nothing still exists.
If you really wanted to go all the way with this then someone could visit the little Spanish island in which Skase passed away and perform some sort of ritual involving a witch doctor to lift the curse. The island is called Majorca, home of Rafael Nadal. Anyway, John Safran actually did something similar in 2004 to lift the curse on the Socceroos and the national team hasn't missed a World Cup since. Check it out:

So I've been thinking about the "Curse"
Is it time to think outside the box and actually join forces with The Titans and a Soccer club?
Same facilities one membership deal etc etc
I guess the ARL A-League AFL would kill themselves first, but for most of us it would make sense to look for opportunities I reckon

Is it time to think outside the box and actually join forces with The Titans and a Soccer club?
I guess the ARL A-League AFL would kill themselves first, but for most of us it would make sense to look for opportunities I reckon
One central training base would definitely make sense, but the logistics and legalities of it all makes it seemingly impossible to organise, especially given the rivalry between Aussie rules and rugby league.

Would be cool though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There has been a bit of cross promotion over the years. Check this out:

I believe the deal in place at the time allowed any ticket holder at the Titans game to get half price entry to the Suns game so they have attempted to benefit from each other in the past. The Titans tried to enter an agreement to share the Carrara facilities last year but the Suns said no. Having said that, they have trained together before:

7wbDsWG.jpg

It is what it is. I think both sports would prefer to be separate of one another but I understand what you're suggesting and the logic behind it. The only chance of it happening was when the Titans attempted to move to Carrara but the Suns blocked that pretty quickly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe, on paper the cavs are the best side but the Spurs are the best "team" I have ever seen so they strike a lot of fear in my eyes and after watching the Warriors this morning there is not many team who are going to beat them
You were right in the end. Always next season.

With Searle gone , it might make things a bit easier , not sure if AFL would be that keen though.

With Searle gone , it might make things a bit easier , not sure if AFL would be that keen though.
It's interesting when you think about it. Neither team was actually given proper training facilities on entry into their respective leagues. It was all about the stadium deals and I guess they presumed they would receive funding for training facilities shortly after. I think the Titans began training at the Runaway Bay Sports Centre in 2007 while they were playing home games at Carrara but moved to Robina the following year. IIRC Searle took out a loan with Westpac to help fund the $30 million Centre of Excellence in Robina but we know that ended horrifically. The Suns have been based at Carrara since 2008 but it took them seven years to secure state funding for training facilities and it's only happening because the Gold Coast is hosting the Commonwealth Games in three years. Now the Titans are looking into options at Parkwood and Coomera after their proposal to share Carrara with the Suns was rejected.

It seems like the council now has their eyes set on establishing professional teams in the ANZ Championship (netball) and the Big Bash League (cricket). Cricket setting up base at Carrara seems like a no-brainer with the facilities being relatively vacated over the summer months but netball could be an interesting one. Hall 1 of the Carrara Sports and Leisure Centre will be transformed into a 5,000 seat, air conditioned show court suitable for events like netball, basketball and tennis so I think you have your answer right there. An ANZ Championship netball team would probably train at Hall 1 of the CSLC and play games at the Gold Coast Convention and Exhibition Centre in Broadbeach. Obviously they would also use other training facilities available at Carrara (running tracks, weights room etc.) The netball season runs from February to June but I would have a netball team could co-exist with the Suns quite easily. It's not like the netball team would need to use an oval very often.

Another theory revolves around a Tiki statue located at the river end of Cavill Avenue, Surfers Paradise. In ancient Polynesian mythology, Tiki was the first man created by Tāneand craved company. It was said that one day Tiki caught his own reflection in the ocean and covered it in dirt to create the first female. The theory states that Tiki has cursed the city of Gold Coast for continuing to face the statue away from the Nerang River.

How do you like this one SandyToes? Is that statue even still there?

I just happen to be in the Land of the Long hite Cloud right now
Maybe I should visit one of the local Maraes and sort it all out with one of the Maori elders
I have never seen the statue, but then again I don't spend a lot of time around Cavill Mall

Maybe you could get a Maori elder to send some good karma this way from NZ.

1BFQFVp.jpg

Ya4nhpO.jpg

After a little bit of searching online and in Google Maps I managed to find this. This 'Tiki' is in fact facing away from the Nerang River. I don't know about you, but I think it looks a bit creepy to be placed in such a public place. Perhaps someone should head down there and check out the statue to see if there is anything else to it? I'm sure there would be some sort of plaque attached to it.

"Gold Coast Suns chairman John Witheriff famously claimed that his club was one of the cleanest sporting teams when it came to drugs. Those comments have now come back to haunt him."

Why do so many stories come down to our chairman saying something ******* stupid? Seriously, what a joke that bloke is.

Not sure how that is stupid , he is dealing in facts , which is what we want our chairman to be doing isnt it ? You dont want him going into panic hysteria like the media are doing . Fact is we are in bottom 4 in the drug tests , anything else is mud slinging until proven otherwise.

Not sure how that is stupid , he is dealing in facts , which is what we want our chairman to be doing isnt it ? You dont want him going into panic hysteria like the media are doing . Fact is we are in bottom 4 in the drug tests , anything else is mud slinging until proven otherwise.

Who is slinging all the mud and what exactly are the facts.

I dont see any GC Suns having court dates for either using or selling drugs.

I suppose if you want to break the curse you could always get Gaz and co to pray it away ... or ask pay Hillsong to do it for you! ;)
Lol. Didn't Hillsong just hold a big event in Australia? Maybe the 'God Squad' is the answer!

Back