Godfather offer to Horse?

Remove this Banner Ad

May 24, 2005
Covid Central
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Socceroos
I’m more than bemused by this obsession of the club to land Horse Longmire as our next coach.
Simple question - How the hell does the club know he is the best man for the job when we haven’t interviewed any other candidates??? Seriously. WTF?
Sure, he may in fact be the best candidate, but he is also the easy/safe option. Just throw cash at him and if he fails, no-one can be critical because he is a premiership coach. But so were Mic Malthouse and Denis Pagan when they went to Carlton!!!!

Come on NMFC, show some professionalism and interview all potential coaches. Then, and only then, make an offer to Horse if he is still considered the best candidate for the job.

I’m more than bemused by this obsession of the club to land Horse Longmire as our next coach.
Simple question - How the hell does the club know he is the best man for the job when we haven’t interviewed any other candidates??? Seriously. WTF?
Sure, he may in fact be the best candidate, but he is also the easy/safe option. Just throw cash at him and if he fails, no-one can be critical because he is a premiership coach. But so were Mic Malthouse and Denis Pagan when they went to Carlton!!!!

Come on NMFC, show some professionalism and interview all potential coaches. Then, and only then, make an offer to Horse if he is still considered the best candidate for the job.

Has the club made any comment to suggest any of this is accurate?

I think we need to cool our jets and not get sucked in by these media jerks.

unless i've missed a club statement?

I agree to an extent, but I’m also a big believer in playing a game style that befits your list . I have to say that style of contested , high tackle count , squeezing the opposition into submission footy that Horse likes to play suits our list really well . He has a style that stands up in September , he is demanding of players something that the previous coach probably wasn’t ... (which may have been to his own & the players detriment ) he also has a great rapport with his players which is not always easy when you are so demanding. I’d have no issues if we offered him the job straight up .

I'm sick of this crap being speculated in the media. If it's not true then the club should come out and make a statement because right now, silence is deafening.

IF this is true and we are making offers to Horse without completing the review then this club is run by amateurs.

I hope this isn't accurate. I don't hate Longmire but he seems to have the same flaws Scott has, I think the Swans are better drilled defensively but outside of recruiting star players their ball use is pretty average overall which is why they bombed out of so many finals series.

I think he will turn us into a good average side rather than an average average side that Scott did, an improvement, but hardly something that would inspire confidence of turning around our 20 year drought since appointing mediocre coaches.

I'm sick of this crap being speculated in the media. If it's not true then the club should come out and make a statement because right now, silence is deafening.

IF this is true and we are making offers to Horse without completing the review then this club is run by amateurs.
I get the feeling it is true which is why no statement has been made to dispute this. Thankfully I can't see Longmire leaving Sydney for a number of reasons, but what I can see happening is the media having a field day reporting about how we YET AGAIN have thown a truckload of money at landing a 'big fish' to then be rejected.

I get the feeling it is true which is why no statement has been made to dispute this. Thankfully I can't see Longmire leaving Sydney for a number of reasons, but what I can see happening is the media having a field day reporting about how we YET AGAIN have thown a truckload of money at landing a 'big fish' to then be rejected.

We're like that ugly guy who throws money at hot chicks hoping they will date him.

How hard is it to tell the agent that if it gets out in public, the deal is off. We are played like a violin by them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why does this bother you?

Do you think less of salespeople who make 100 phone calls and complete 2 sales?

I must say this is the least bit offensive to me. In fact, I'd say it says more about the people writing these ridiculous statements than us.

If horse says yes, great. If he says no, great.

I'm just happy it's not Brad.

I must say this is the least bit offensive to me. In fact, I'd say it says more about the people writing these ridiculous statements than us.

Because guess what happened the other 8 times this was pulled on us...

It's not an exact comparison. A typical "saleperson" doesn't manage or carry a residual perception, brand or a PR image from client to client. They don't get the 50th customer saying "nah stick your timeshare, I know you've already crashed out on 49 other people".

If we stretch it to be a real estate agent, then absolutely yes they would be thought less of. If an agent took 100 campaigns to sell 2 properties you bet your 'ass they'd be considered a failure and probably out of work.

I like Longmire, we was my favourite player and I wore the 35 with pride. I am happy to have him as coach, my only issue would be if we throw away our good financial position by taking him on on big money, if it doesn't work out we have a huge pay off figure to pay. Unless he is a true north person (probably is?) and would not want the massive payout if it stuffed the club up financially.

Solid thread title. I'm gonna give you a like just for that.

I like Longmire, we was my favourite player and I wore the 35 with pride. I am happy to have him as coach, my only issue would be if we throw away our good financial position by taking him on on big money, if it doesn't work out we have a huge pay off figure to pay. Unless he is a true north person (probably is?) and would not want the massive payout if it stuffed the club up financially.

That's not an issue for the club. They'll just sell another couple of games which we're totes guaranteed to win.

It's not an exact comparison. A typical "saleperson" doesn't manage or carry a residual perception, brand or a PR image from client to client. They don't get the 50th customer saying "nah stick your timeshare, I know you've already crashed out on 49 other people".

If we stretch it to be a real estate agent, then absolutely yes they would be thought less of. If an agent took 100 campaigns to sell 2 properties you bet your 'ass they'd be considered a failure and probably out of work.

A real estate agent is a salesperson.

The point i was trying to make and others have made, is that umpiring, sales inc real estate/stock brokers/mortgage brokers/parking inspectors.... They all deal with abuse every day and are expected to butter up and go again. They certainly aren't protected like the umps are.

Telemarketing carries a perception, even before you listen to the pitch, you are telling them to **** off and don't call me at dinner time, or no I'm ****ing happy with being violated by my power company etc etc. Not to mention racial profiling of the Indians or th Philo's with that American shrill in their voice.

How are you Sirrrrrr?

It's so ridiculous that journalists get paid to write dozens of articles about the mere prospect of North offering Longmire a deal, without any offer actually happening, and then frame is as North giving Longmire a blank cheque.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back