Delisted GM, Football - Dan Richardson - Club confirms, has been sacked, 29/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 9, 2004
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I can't recall
Essendon has poached Richmond talent chief Dan Richardson to fill its vacant football operations role
Michael Warner, Herald Sun
20 minutes ago
Subscriber only
ESSENDON has poached Richmond talent chief Dan Richardson to fill its vacant football operations post.

Richardson replaces Rob Kerr who departed the Bombers three months ago.

Axed AFL executive Simon Lethlean had been linked to the Dons footy position after being overlooked for the chief executive roles at Carlton, Collingwood and Hawthorn but did not take part in the process.

LIST ANALYSIS: GARY BUCKENARA ANALYSES RICHMOND’S LIST

MOVING ON: LAST CHANCE TO SEE PREMIERSHIP CUP

TOUGH START: PREMIERSHIP TIGERS FACING DELAYED START

Richardson, the son of three-time premiership Tiger Barry Richardson, worked as Richmond’s football talent boss this season in a revamped football department under general manager Neil Balme.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...e/news-story/9dfa85e7aedbff754eb1a711a98a965b

Last edited:
Essendon has poached Richmond talent chief Dan Richardson to fill its vacant football operations role
Michael Warner, Herald Sun
20 minutes ago
Subscriber only
ESSENDON has poached Richmond talent chief Dan Richardson to fill its vacant football operations post.

Richardson replaces Rob Kerr who departed the Bombers three months ago.

Axed AFL executive Simon Lethlean had been linked to the Dons footy position after being overlooked for the chief executive roles at Carlton, Collingwood and Hawthorn but did not take part in the process.

LIST ANALYSIS: GARY BUCKENARA ANALYSES RICHMOND’S LIST

MOVING ON: LAST CHANCE TO SEE PREMIERSHIP CUP

TOUGH START: PREMIERSHIP TIGERS FACING DELAYED START

Richardson, the son of three-time premiership Tiger Barry Richardson, worked as Richmond’s football talent boss this season in a revamped football department under general manager Neil Balme.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...e/news-story/9dfa85e7aedbff754eb1a711a98a965b
I don’t know who that is, which is probably a good thing. Thank god for not Lethlean.

I don’t know who that is

You might remember this from last year.
"We're paying a price in the sense that we knew that that mature-age talent would get us to a point but not take us to the next level, which was always going to be the hardest part. We didn't think Richmond fans would accept an eight-year rebuild."

Tigers 'paying the price' for recruit strategy

Didn't go down well. Had a change of role with the arrival of Balme.

GM of Football appointed
December 10, 2017 6:00 PM

20171210_Richardson_H.jpg

Dan Richardson has been appointed Essendon's GM of Football

Essendon Football Club is pleased to announce, Dan Richardson, has been appointed the General Manager of Football.

Richardson joins the Bombers from the Richmond Football Club where he held the positions of GM of Football and GM of Football Talent over the past five seasons.

Richardson brings a wealth of experience and knowledge through his time with the tigers, and more than a decade with Elite Sports Properties (now TLA), where he was an Associate Director and ran the company’s football division.

CEO, Xavier Campbell, said Richardson’s appointment was a fantastic result for the entire Club.

"We are thrilled to announce Dan as our new General Manager of Football," Campbell said.

"The recruitment panel of Chairman, Lindsay Tanner, General Manager, People & Culture, Lisa Lawry and myself were extremely impressed with Dan through what ended up being a comprehensive process.”

“We believe Dan’s straight up approach, core values, and strong football knowledge make him the right person to lead our football department, and more broadly we feel he will be a great addition to our entire Club.”

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2017-12-10/gm-of-football-appointed

Hmmmmmmmmm, Not sure on this. Don't think he did much at Richmond but as with everyone I'll wait and see results before saying it's a good or poor choice.

Yeah - Richardson did nothing at Richmond or at Elite Sporting Properties which is why he was sacked from both positions ! It's the next step in the career pathway if you chart his past progress - Logically a Footy Op's mgr will usually come from the next tier below - I'll back in the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You might remember this from last year.

Tigers 'paying the price' for recruit strategy

Didn't go down well. Had a change of role with the arrival of Balme.
Oh vaguely, now you mention it. Do you remember our CEO addressing the team after the Brisbane loss? I feel like it’s kinda similar. Might put a few noses out of joint but ultimately it’s not necessarily a true reflection of the person’s ability. And he still isn’t Lethlean.

Yeah - Richardson did nothing at Richmond or at Elite Sporting Properties which is why he was sacked from both positions !
My understanding is that he wasn't sacked from Richmond.

Anyway, I don't know how good of an acquisition this is. After all, I don't really see day to day what he does around the club.

He was really good at retaining our top players though by working out something that both the player and Richmond were happy with.

Anyway, I don't know how good of an acquisition this is. After all, I don't really see day to day what he does around the club.

He was really good at retaining our top players though by working out something that both the player and Richmond were happy with.

Balme just got his best mates son a payrise and a job he doesn't do very well.

Good luck

Oh vaguely, now you mention it. Do you remember our CEO addressing the team after the Brisbane loss? I feel like it’s kinda similar. Might put a few noses out of joint but ultimately it’s not necessarily a true reflection of the person’s ability. And he still isn’t Lethlean.
It's a snapshot from someone the fans didn't often hear from directly. Don't think he meant it to come across the way it did (i.e. poorly), and it doesn't encapsulate his time at Richmond, during which we reached the finals in four of five years.

I guess it's a bit like a senior coach who goes back to an assistant's role. They usually retain the hunger to be the main man again and will theoretically be better for the experience first time around.

Pretty much, as you can see he got more than a few offside with those comments last year. Question mark is still there for him in terms of taking the big GM job imo, was pretty quickly demoted once there was a sniff we could get Balme. In terms of player management, contracts etc though, he is very good, our player retention has been fantastic under him. Wish him all the best and hope he proves a success with you guys.

I'm happy the Dan Richardson has been given a second chance as a football operations manager. He must have been after another opportunity after being given a reduced role by the club when they did a review in 2016 and bring in Neil Balme. I wish him all that the best at Essendon.

Last edited:
Will be very good in salary cap management and player retention. List management however I’m not so sure. Failed to do due diligence on yarran and we improved instantly when balme replaced him
I don’t think he’ll have that much to do with it anyway. Like he will, but Dodoro, Woosha, XC and the board all have fingers in that pie as well. It’s not like he’ll make a unilateral decision to fire Fantasia or something :drunk: It’s not like he’s walking into a basket case... and I don’t think the others would let him Buckley it anyway.

I wouldn’t know if Richardson is any better or worse than Kerr, how would fans know in this type of role?

If Campbell and/or Tanner were involved in the decision that’s good enough for me.

Sarcasm my friend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back