Gippsland Cricket Thread Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A. Burgiel to play at Gormandale and has 2 cricketers to go with him. Not sure where they are from though. This rumour has circulated for a number of years now, but it seems to be right this year, he will not be at Maffra. Matt Dowsett has now signed with Bundy.

Makes no sense for Burgs to play there could potentially earn as much money in smca without the need to travel every weekend and I cannot see two cricketers going with him from maffra as they would have to travel by themselves unless it is Griffo and Patto!!

What has Dowsett signed a playing contract?? Bundy are conducting themselves very professionally then.

not sure where your getting your mail from juddie, Dowsett?? pretty sure he's going to Boisdale, has Burgiel signed??

Yeah with his own blood and a feather, it was deemed neccasary so it could stand up in a court of law as proof that he is actually going to Gormandale!

Makes no sense for Burgs to play there could potentially earn as much money in smca without the need to travel every weekend and I cannot see two cricketers going with him from maffra as they would have to travel by themselves unless it is Griffo and Patto!!

What has Dowsett signed a playing contract?? Bundy are conducting themselves very professionally then.

any idea where he's playing??

any idea where he's playing??

I heard that Burgs, Luke Klasen, Matt Dowsett, Winny Gieschen, Andrew Davidson, Warren Bristow, Tubby Glover, Ian Wrigg and Kev Lanigan are going to start a team up at Dargo. The Dargo Waspvipers, enter them into the BCA.

Mark Donald definitely retired from Bundaberga or Chumbawumba or whereever he plays.

Back injury that led to him bowling offies and not medium fast had caught up with him.

Bit of a loss.

Thats a shame, never nice to hear of that sort of thing about anyone. Has a pretty big impact for Bundy in the couple of seasons that he bowled off spin, and was lucky enough to play in a premiership.

A. Burgiel is Gormandale captain/coach
The most predictable and anti-climatic Cricket League in the world just became more predictable, if thats humanly possible. They should sack the regular season, and get Toon and Gormy to play a bestof 7 Grand Final series, as the only games either side will lose will be against each other. The rest of the competition are wasting 5 months of their lives.

The most predictable and anti-climatic Cricket League in the world just became more predictable, if thats humanly possible. They should sack the regular season, and get Toon and Gormy to play a bestof 7 Grand Final series, as the only games either side will lose will be against each other. The rest of the competition are wasting 5 months of their lives.

That is what you get with cricket, there is no turnover of players within the league/league's, the only incentive for people to change teams is for people either to take on responsibility by coaching/captaining a team or being good enough to be a paid player. I think there would be one or two player's a season in SMCA who changes clubs for reasons outside of this.

This is a massive loss to SMCA in terms of its status within VCCL and continues to show the mass exodus of talent out of the SMCA.

I am guessing now that Maffra will make an even bigger play at Matt Dowsett....also wondering who will go after Clint Hillas???

Burgs is a great leader and will be a massive gain for Gormandale and the TDCA. You better hope that Burg's knee doesnt come too good Pumpter, you will have many nervous days facing him at number three!!! Haha.

That is what you get with cricket, there is no turnover of players within the league/league's, the only incentive for people to change teams is for people either to take on responsibility by coaching/captaining a team or being good enough to be a paid player. I think there would be one or two player's a season in SMCA who changes clubs for reasons outside of this.

Burgs is a great leader and will be a massive gain for Gormandale and the TDCA. You better hope that Burg's knee doesnt come too good Pumpter, you will have many nervous days facing him at number three!!! Haha.
I haven't seen the draw for 2011/12, but i'm pretty sure i'm unavailable that game. Not sure how sharp he is, but i'm more worried about us losing the toss and being subjected to fielding for 80 overs, while Hammo & Burgiel goes nuts. They could make 500.

Don't know Adrian Burgiel in any way, shape or form, but i'd be much more excited about him coming to the TDCA if he took on the Capt/Coach role for Rovers or Traralgon West or CATS, ie a Club that legitimately needs a gun player to be competitive, as opposed to Gormy, who already have about 8 guns. I wish someone from the TDCA had the guts to do what Ian Wrigglesworth did when he went to Wurruk, and take on a leadership role at a struggling club. Every half decent cricketer that comes to the TDCA goes to Gormy. It's now a 2 horse race for the Premiership, with daylight a very distant 3rd.

I haven't seen the draw for 2011/12, but i'm pretty sure i'm unavailable that game. Not sure how sharp he is, but i'm more worried about us losing the toss and being subjected to fielding for 80 overs, while Hammo & Burgiel goes nuts. They could make 500.
Brother played some Maffra A's with him. Burgs doesn't bowl himself much apparently, he'll bring himself on when he's angry with the opposition and bowl short stuff and try kill the batsmen. He's quick my brother says, real quick.

Have a look at some of the big scores he made for Maffra, a lot of his big partnerships has him scoring 75-80% of the runs. Sledges bowlers as well.

Don't know Adrian Burgiel in any way, shape or form, but i'd be much more excited about him coming to the TDCA if he took on the Capt/Coach role for Rovers or Traralgon West or CATS, ie a Club that legitimately needs a gun player to be competitive, as opposed to Gormy, who already have about 8 guns. I wish someone from the TDCA had the guts to do what Ian Wrigglesworth did when he went to Wurruk, and take on a leadership role at a struggling club. Every half decent cricketer that comes to the TDCA goes to Gormy. It's now a 2 horse race for the Premiership, with daylight a very distant 3rd.

do you expect A.Burgiel to ring them up and see if they want him to play for them????

(Log in to remove this ad.)

do you expect A.Burgiel to ring them up and see if they want him to play for them????
Your missing the point. It's not an attack on the guy personally, as we've never met, and probably never will. It's a general comment on the massive disparity developing between the good side and the middle of the road/ordinary sides in the TDCA.

The TDCA like to bang their chest about being the best comp in Gippsland, which it may or may not be. The fact is that going into season 2011/12, only Gormy & Toon can win the flag, and at a stretch maybe Ex-Students. Of the 8 remaining clubs, 6 of those are not only no chance to win a flag next season, but are no chance to win a flag in the next 10 years. I base this on playing facilities, finances, current playing list, ability to recruit quality players etc. Is this a healthy situation for the TDCA to be in? Personally, i think it isn't.

Use Rovers as an example. They were winless in 2010/11, and could very well be winless in 2011/12. The rest of the league will be trying to pick the eyes out of their list. It would be easy for their good A Graders to jump ship to a more successful club. I hope for their sake they all stay and battle on. If they performed a miracle and could recruit someone of the ability of Kent Hammond or Adrien Burgiel, they would probably make finals within 2 years. However, they can't compete with the good sides on or off the field, and it will take them 10-15 years to recover. This is what i mean when i said it would be great if he was Capt/Coach of Rovers, rather than Gormy, as one side needs him far more than the others.

Your missing the point. It's not an attack on the guy personally, as we've never met, and probably never will. It's a general comment on the massive disparity developing between the good side and the middle of the road/ordinary sides in the TDCA.

The TDCA like to bang their chest about being the best comp in Gippsland, which it may or may not be. The fact is that going into season 2011/12, only Gormy & Toon can win the flag, and at a stretch maybe Ex-Students. Of the 8 remaining clubs, 6 of those are not only no chance to win a flag next season, but are no chance to win a flag in the next 10 years. I base this on playing facilities, finances, current playing list, ability to recruit quality players etc. Is this a healthy situation for the TDCA to be in? Personally, i think it isn't.

Use Rovers as an example. They were winless in 2010/11, and could very well be winless in 2011/12. The rest of the league will be trying to pick the eyes out of their list. It would be easy for their good A Graders to jump ship to a more successful club. I hope for their sake they all stay and battle on. If they performed a miracle and could recruit someone of the ability of Kent Hammond or Adrien Burgiel, they would probably make finals within 2 years. However, they can't compete with the good sides on or off the field, and it will take them 10-15 years to recover. This is what i mean when i said it would be great if he was Capt/Coach of Rovers, rather than Gormy, as one side needs him far more than the others.

if they want to improve maybe Rovers should try and recruit someone by making a phone call, players don't just lob at your front door wanting to play!!

apparently gormi offered to put a pool in for burgs to get him?? seems a bit to offer but i was goin for a run past his house the other nite and it looked like there was some works goin on out the back!

apparently gormi offered to put a pool in for burgs to get him?? seems a bit to offer but i was goin for a run past his house the other nite and it looked like there was some works goin on out the back!

Oh well, the Maffra boys have lost their most influencial team mate, but, he seems like a decent bloke, he'll probably let em go for a dip to cool off. Pretty fair trade off, I reckon.

I don't believe that.

I don't believe that you were actually running around anywhere even in maffra.

I also heard that Gormandale want to make sure Burgs uses the pool over winter so instead of filling it with water they have filled it with hundred dollar notes, just a rumour though.

Seriously. Good luck to him I hope he makes a sound recovery from his operation, I have been told legitimately that he turned down bigger offers down to stay within SMCA than what he is getting at Gormandale.

Oh well, the Maffra boys have lost their most influencial team mate, but, he seems like a decent bloke, he'll probably let em go for a dip to cool off. Pretty fair trade off, I reckon.[/quote

Spoke to Adrian yesterday and he said, No, he won't be letting them go for a dip and Mayhem, what you said about blokes just randomly coming on here and writing crap is on the money, Eagle #3, he needs a little bit more than just a swim at the moment :confused::confused: thats probably a little to much hair on those blokes Eagle #3!!

Have heard Sale are in deep trouble

Roberts not returning

They had a very young and inexperienced team last season and 2 of there more experienced batsmen are gone, Jackson has moved away from area and Lynch has had a knee reconstruction and will miss all of season.

Have not heard of them picking up players and don't have depth to be competative. Surely they have to drop and one of city or Heyfield go back up?

The Heyfield side that folded was a million times better than last seasons Sale line up. What has happened to that club? 3-4 years ago they made a semi final and had arguably one of the strongest squads
Looking at that match they had
Carmody
Hawley
Nicholls
Thatcher
Bruce
Lynch
Mayman
Lydon
Rogers
Armstrong
Anderson

With Scott Benson, Churchill, Bates, Luke Henderson, B Martin, Alcock that couldn't get a game and were in the 2s

Central location, big name club, successful history , best ground in competition? Why are these guys struggling?

If you are who I think Mayhem then I think that says enough. No offense to yourself but if a captain of a side doesn't know why cricketers won't play for him and the club the problems run very deep.

That is not a personal attack on you, but more so head honchos at your club. You seem to be a popular man, yet can't get any mates across.

Cricket in general around this area is slowly coming to a death once the Andersons, Kings, Williams retire and with Burgiel changing clubs how many really good players will be in this league. Lanigan is a star but it stops close at that, which is a shame for the standard of cricket around here

If you are who I think Mayhem then I think that says enough. No offense to yourself but if a captain of a side doesn't know why cricketers won't play for him and the club the problems run very deep.

That is not a personal attack on you, but more so head honchos at your club. You seem to be a popular man, yet can't get any mates across.

Cricket in general around this area is slowly coming to a death once the Andersons, Kings, Williams retire and with Burgiel changing clubs how many really good players will be in this league. Lanigan is a star but it stops close at that, which is a shame for the standard of cricket around here

Yeah good points, I think you will find Mayhem knows alot more about Sale's problems then what you think and is trying as hard as anyone to try and rectify them.

I don't think Sale need to be singled out here, Sale Maffra has been on a steady decline for the last ten to fifteen years, the sameness of the competition has created a staleness within it.

The league has tried to implement new strategies but I think the reason behind the decline comes back to a few reasons: Access to better levels of cricket being taken up by better cricketers, gun cricketers willing to change leagues for whatever reasons (never happened before) and the use of overseas players.

I think plainly that most of the players lose interest with cricket. People complain about fielding, batting low, not bowling enough, the length of the game, or it's rather be at the beach than at training or playing, pre season footy training, working and family. A whole host of reasons behind not playing.

There are just too many negatives against it (cricket). Having said that if the players that have left were still playing the league would be great and the standard high, but once again they are not playing for various reasons as mentioned above and now the standard has declined and there is a genuine lack of interest within it.

Agree with what your saying Nugget

I find it staggering that in a competition that is called Sale Maffra, the Sale brand is struggling so bad. It's not good for the competition. If you were a cricketer who moved down to Sale for work or a change of lifestyle , what would you think if you looked into joining a club here, your first though would probably be Sale because of the name.

It would be such a shame and a big loss for the league if Sale were in so much trouble they could not field a 1st team. To think that 1st games lose matches at Sale Oval which is one of the best to play at and a good wicket and yet play matches on the Wurruk/Rosedale ovals is very odd.

Would the SMCA step in somehow and help Sale out to help their own SMCA image??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back