News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

There's a list going around of potential target players for the new Tassie team.
Tom Green and Lachie Ash are named.
It'll be interesting to learn what concessions they get and how many Godfather offers they will toss around.

There's a list going around of potential target players for the new Tassie team.
Tom Green and Lachie Ash are named.
It'll be interesting to learn what concessions they get and how many Godfather offers they will toss around.
That draft year will be targeted as they will be all free agents and in their prime.

Kingsley’s favourite: How Finn Callaghan quickly became the key Giant in the Orange Tsunami

Coaches never publicly pick their favourite players. But it’s obvious to all around the GWS Giants that Finn Callaghan has become Adam Kingsley’s most valuable star, writes LACHLAN McKIRDY.

Lachlan McKirdy

21 March 2024

News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

It’s not quite at the teacher’s pet level, but there’s no doubt that Adam Kingsley subconsciously has a favourite player at the Giants.

Leading into the season, the club had put together a video highlights package to showcase the ‘Orange Tsunami’. There were countless plays to choose from, particularly during their finals victories against St Kilda and Port Adelaide.

But a trend became apparent very quickly – youngster Finn Callaghan is at the heart of their best moves.

“I’d say he hides it pretty well,” Callaghan said.

“I don’t think he has any favourites, he sort of treats everyone equally in the club.

“He’s also a really positive coach. He gives great confidence to us on the weekend that we can go out there and do our jobs the best we can.”

The 20-year-old’s speed and ability with ball in hand were a standout in the back half of last season, playing beyond his years in a team full of momentum.

And while he might reject the notion of ‘favourites’, his attributes are perfectly suited to Kingsley’s entertaining game plan.

In his return to the AFL last weekend against North Melbourne following a pre-season shoulder injury, Callaghan found his groove immediately.

He finished the game with 24 disposals and had the third-most metres gained (487m) in his side. For someone who hadn’t played a single minute since last season, Callaghan didn’t look out of place at all.

“It was nice just to be back out there playing with the boys,” he said. “It’s nice seeing them play well but you just want to be a part of it.

“Everyone wants to get a touch of the ball early to settle into the game. I just want to go in there and bring good effort and attitude and play my role.

“I felt a little bit tired towards the end but that’s to be expected having missed the first games.

“Last year was my first playing a full year with the boys and finding my place. Towards the end when it all started to click it was a brilliant feeling.

“The momentum the team created, I was just grateful to be playing my part in that. The way we play is so exciting, if I can help get on the end of those fast, attacking chains through the middle, that’s what I’ll try and do.”

The Giants know that they need to take a step up in the midfield this weekend following the Kangaroos’ impressive showing last weekend.

Led by Tristan Xerri, North Melbourne won the clearances (32-27) and centre clearances (19-11) with Kingsley’s side put under lots of pressure around the ball.

They have the perfect chance to bounce back against the Eagles who averaged the fewest centre clearances in the AFL last season. And Callaghan knows that contested-ball gun Tom Green will be pivotal once again to leading the Giants’ charge.

“(North Melbourne) clearly got on top around the second quarter and outhunted us around the ball,” Callaghan said.

“As midfielders, our role is to get more physical around stoppages and start hunting the ball. They were first to react to loose balls and that’s something we have a real emphasis on. We did that to a better level in the second half.

“We still weren’t at our best, but a win’s a win and it’s good to win and still be able to learn our lessons.

“Greeny is a super player, he’s so tough around the ball and just does an amazing job at winning the contested ball. He starts up a lot of our chains by winning the ball and handing it out to our runners.

“I’m lucky to have a guy like Tom playing with me every week and hopefully we can continue to build that relationship going forward.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks to the guys that helped me out by also emailling Lewis Martin from ch7 on their crowd volume issue, the message got through and there has been a big improvement the last couple of games. It just shows the affect you can have when multiple people hit up the one person with the same topic 👍.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back