Injury GHS out for a week with fractured thumb

Remove this Banner Ad

Why couldn't Menegola play Cowans role? He has a bigger tank.

Has he's got the defensive mindset to guard space and run defensively rather than be drawn to the contest? It's a very different expectation of a guy who is basically a see-ball get-ball type. Could he read the play well enough to know where to be defensively useful? I'm not sure. Is he the type of guy you want as the get-out option if our defense is under pressure meaning he has to execute simple skills well and make good decisions under pressure? For mine definitely now. His possnessions can be damaging in attack but he can make mistakes on short kicks.

Cowan's role is interesting. Varcoe played that role but was roundly criticised but not dropped. Murdoch played that role and was roundly criticised for a long time before eventually being dropped (I'm guessing because roo many simple skil errors under pressure). Now Cowan's playing that role and has been roundly criticised basically since he arrived in the side but is yet to be dropped. My guess is that the MC thinks this defensive winger is an essential role for the team and they're being judged on very different things than what most fans judge these players on.

Has he's got the defensive mindset to guard space and run defensively rather than be drawn to the contest? It's a very different expectation of a guy who is basically a see-ball get-ball type. Could he read the play well enough to know where to be defensively useful? I'm not sure. Is he the type of guy you want as the get-out option if our defense is under pressure meaning he has to execute simple skills well and make good decisions under pressure? For mine definitely now. His possnessions can be damaging in attack but he can make mistakes on short kicks.

Cowan's role is interesting. Varcoe played that role but was roundly criticised but not dropped. Murdoch played that role and was roundly criticised for a long time before eventually being dropped (I'm guessing because roo many simple skil errors under pressure). Now Cowan's playing that role and has been roundly criticised basically since he arrived in the side but is yet to be dropped. My guess is that the MC thinks this defensive winger is an essential role for the team and they're being judged on very different things than what most fans judge these players on.
Another apt user-name.

Footy Smarts, thanks for the answer, I guess it is just a strange role to understand. I just see Cowan floating around the wing to not much effect. He does get drawn to the ball a lot as well to no effect, doesn't lay effective tackles and isn't strong enough to block players. I'm sure it isn't a role that has got him onto an AFL list in the first place and it isn't a role other clubs are really implementing.

coach would have dropped him this week anyway so no big deal.

Chin up, Eeyore, no need to be negative 100% of the time and invent potshots where they're not needed.

Bad luck for GHS but relieved it's only a week. I really want to see him get a genuine crack at the 1sts this year. Would be frustrating to see injury out him behind Menegola and SSelwood again (should the latter get back on the park anytime soon) as I rate George more than both and feel he's been forced to work harder than most for a spot in the team.

I like all 3.

If they were all fit you could take last weeks team and make the following changes.

In: Cockatoo, Menegola, S.Selwood, Guthrie
Out: Lang, Parfitt, Cowan, Thurlow

Footy Smarts, thanks for the answer, I guess it is just a strange role to understand. I just see Cowan floating around the wing to not much effect. He does get drawn to the ball a lot as well to no effect, doesn't lay effective tackles and isn't strong enough to block players. I'm sure it isn't a role that has got him onto an AFL list in the first place and it isn't a role other clubs are really implementing.

I get that the role doesn't really fit with most footy discussions hence you've seen all of Varcoe, Murdoch (in that role) and now Cowan criticised for things like not winning their own ball in the contest. But it's now 3 years or more that we've had someone play this role so although I don't know exactly what the MC expects of those guys, they must be asking them to play in that sort of style.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back