Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Ex Swan in mid-season draft frame, hopefuls undergo medicals​

A host of players have undergone medical tests ahead of next week's Mid-Season Rookie Draft
By Callum Twomey
Just now

FORMER Sydney first-round draft pick Matt Ling has emerged as a mid-season draft candidate after being a part of the group of players to undergo AFL medicals.

Ling, who played four games for the Swans after being drafted at No.14 in the 2017 intake, returned to Geelong to play in the Cats' VFL side after his Sydney stint.

However, he moved to Norwood ahead of last season and has impressed in the SANFL, including playing in the South Australia and Western Australia state game last weekend.

The 25-year-old left-footer has garnered at least multiple nominations from clubs to be one of the 24 players to be listed for medicals ahead of the Mid-Season Rookie Draft next Wednesday.

The majority of the selections are viewed as likely to come within the group of players, which includes state league prospects, players who were overlooked at last year's draft and a range of different ages.

A number of the players who have undergone medicals were first eligible for last year's draft but were overlooked, including tall forwards Noah Howes(South Adelaide), Jasper Scaife (West Perth) and Remy Maclean (Eastern Ranges) and medium goalkicker Will McLachlan (Geelong Falcons).

Falcons ruckman Joe Pike is in the group of players getting medicals after not getting drafted last season, while Sandringham tall defender Lachie Voss, Eastern Ranges defender/ruck Illiro Smit, Bendigo captain Dayten Uerata and West Adelaide backman Will Patton have also been nominated.

Potential early mid-season pick Geordie Payne is another who has undergone a medical.

Dandenong half-back dasher Ben Hopkins and Essendon half-forward Oskar Smartt will also have medicals, while Collingwood's Jack Hutchinson, Geelong's Ajang Kuol mun and Tobyn Murray, Coburg's Caleb Ernst, Box Hill's Max Hall and Williamstown's Corey Ellison are the other VFL players to get nominated for medicals.

Former Port Adelaide ruckman Brynn Teakle, who was a mid-season choice in 2022, could be in for another shot after being nominated in the group for medicals, while Toby Murray, the younger brother of Crow Nick, has also caught the eye to be nominated.

Jacob Blight, 22, has had several interviews and also is in the AFL's medicals group, as is small forward Kelsey Rypstra from the SANFL.

And further to the latest on Thomas

Statement from AFL re Tarryn Thomas.

The AFL is aware of today’s developments in relation to Tarryn Thomas including that he has been charged with offences that are now before the Courts. The AFL cannot and will not make any comment in relation to those new charges while the police investigation is ongoing.

The AFL reiterates that under the sanctions previously imposed on Mr Thomas by the AFL, he currently cannot train or play at any level of Australian Football without the approval of the AFL including once his 18-match suspension expires.

Please note that the AFL will specifically not permit Mr Thomas to join the list of any AFL Club pending the hearing and determination of the charges that have now been brought against him and subject to the outcome of those proceedings.

More broadly, it is the AFL’s intent that Mr Thomas will not be approved to play at any level of Australian Football pending the hearing and determination of the charges that have now been brought against him and subject to the outcome of those proceedings.

The AFL will continue to monitor the police proceedings.

Not true. We traded for both Cameron and Danger. In both cases plenty of people around here said we overpaid initially.

Richmond and Hawthorn actually got much more high profile free agents in Lynch and Frawley than we ever got.
No rationale person thought that we overpaid for Cameron and Danger. By any objective measure we got bargains, and that was evident at the time.

People were pissed off that we had to trade for restricted free agents, but I don’t recall anyone actually thinking we paid more than they were worth.

Hi All - Had the pleasure of meeting Lawson Humpries today - very impressive young man
I quizzed him on his natural foot and he told me he was right footed. He said any shot at goal or kick is driven by the angle, wher the pressure is coming from, which foot he needs to be balanced on etc.
I asked him if he was 40 out and directly in front, what would be his choice - he said that it would probably be right (natural foot) - Although he added that if he was further out then he would probably switch to his left as he feels he is slighly less cooridinated and as a result the leg swings more and he gets more distance.
Look forward to his debut in the not too distant future

God I wish we heard more players speaking like this in general! Love the insight.

Hi All - Had the pleasure of meeting Lawson Humpries today - very impressive young man
I quizzed him on his natural foot and he told me he was right footed. He said any shot at goal or kick is driven by the angle, wher the pressure is coming from, which foot he needs to be balanced on etc.
I asked him if he was 40 out and directly in front, what would be his choice - he said that it would probably be right (natural foot) - Although he added that if he was further out then he would probably switch to his left as he feels he is slighly less cooridinated and as a result the leg swings more and he gets more distance.
Look forward to his debut in the not too distant future

Thanks for that. It has been a question on my mind as when I have watched him kick, I noticed that he kicked on both sides. I had no idea what was his preferred side as he looked so comfortable on both sides.

No rationale person thought that we overpaid for Cameron and Danger. By any objective measure we got bargains, and that was evident at the time.

People were pissed off that we had to trade for restricted free agents, but I don’t recall anyone actually thinking we paid more than they were worth.
Especially in the Cameron deal moreso than the Danger deal, no one thinks we overpaid for him even when the deal was done we actually robbed Adelaide, but the Cameron deal was frustrating because we had to pay up meanwhile Suns were incentivized to let Lynch go for free.

Especially in the Cameron deal moreso than the Danger deal, no one thinks we overpaid for him even when the deal was done we actually robbed Adelaide, but the Cameron deal was frustrating because we had to pay up meanwhile Suns were incentivized to let Lynch go for free.
The consolation is we likely pick a combination of Bruhn, Holmes, & Henry anyway.

I doubt the 'what if' scenario where GWS didn't match is much different to the reality we have now.

We paid through the nose salary wise in the hope that GWS would not match. They did so we handed over big time in draft picks. Payed in salary and picks. Compare that to Lynch at Richmond.

We paid through the nose salary wise in the hope that GWS would not match. They did so we handed over big time in draft picks. Payed in salary and picks. Compare that to Lynch at Richmond.
Well sure those silvery looking clouds are known to contain rain

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would seriously like these “matched” bids to be properly investigated.

Matched amounts need to actually be real and something the club was intending and happy to pay, not a bogey bid with no intentions of following through with, other than to force a higher value trade.

There needs to be stricter litmacy tests in place.

For example bid matched can not be in excess of 300k over what you offered prior to x date..

Surely if your final offer by november is 300k a year less than oppo club.. Why all of a sudden is 300k now appearing??

There needs to be common sense and legitimacy tests applied to these abused matched free agent scenarios, or a probability test.

Look back at the thread from when we got Cameron and there were plenty of fans who thought we should have walked away rather than pay up. It was more than just anger at paying when we shouldn't have had to.

There weren't many complaining about getting Danger but I remember giving up Gore as part of the deal was very very unpopular.

Look back at the thread from when we got Cameron and there were plenty of fans who thought we should have walked away rather than pay up. It was more than just anger at paying when we shouldn't have had to.

There weren't many complaining about getting Danger but I remember giving up Gore as part of the deal was very very unpopular.
Wells wanted to walk away

Wells wanted to walk away
Had he got his way we'd still be on 9 premierships.

We got bargains for both PD and JC In my opinion. the 2020 draft we gave picks for Cameron was a covid crapshoot anyway.

gogeelongcats says other sides may have more highly rated under 22s though. So, nice try but I'm not buying it.
Some of us tried to tell him...

It's been said a million times but some people have refused to learn.

It's not 2017 anymore. We're not pinning our hopes on James Parsons, Matt Hayball (an NFL punter!!), & Quinton Narkle.

We've invested pretty heavily in young talent over 5 years now, and we're starting to see the green shoots emerge.

Some, (Like Holmes & Henry) are well and truly leading the charge as very good players across the competition who are approaching elite status.

We're not finished, but the negligence to act like it's just not happening at all really is something.

We got bargains for both PD and JC In my opinion. the 2020 draft we gave picks for Cameron was a covid crapshoot anyway.

I'm guessing Wells wanted us to go through the draft and use our first pick on Cameron rather than trade significant more than that for him. I highly doubt Geelong were ever going to completely walk away from him.

2. Holmes
23. Dempsey
24. Bruhn
28. Henry
I was bored so added up the ratings for each team…for the TOP 30 rated players…can’t promise I missed something though!

Not sure this means anything…but has Cats at top so I thought it might!!

You would think this should have inverse relationship with ladder? Which is sort of does if you exclude academies and father son….And Cats!!

Other than a bit of fun this highlights how good I think the Bruhn and Henry trade ins will prove to join the star Max and Rookie Dempsey in that age bracket

Geelong. 41.22
North. 39.44
Gold Coast. 38.79
Hawks. 27.26
Eagles. 23.28
St Kilda. 21.11
Adelaide. 20.41
Collingwood 18.22
Swans. 13.98
Port. 12.88
Essendon. 12.47
Carlton. 11.05
Giants. 10.96
Brisbane. 10.56
Freemantle. 10.22
Bulldogs. 9.79
Melbourne 8.41
Richmond. No one in Top 30!

We got bargains for both PD and JC In my opinion.
PD was a bargain because we got him on a low wage

JC we offered a massive wage to try and pry him out for free and then we played in draft picks. He was also coming off a very bad season at GWS. We played overs for GC but it was the right choice as it got us a flag

I'm guessing Wells wanted us to go through the draft and use our first pick on Cameron rather than trade significant more than that for him. I highly doubt Geelong were ever going to completely walk away from him.
Wells wanted to use a massive wage to pry him free via free agency or trade for him on a lower wage. He didn't want to both trade and pay a high wage

Remove this Banner Ad

Back