Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought it was Edwards …but no matter we picked up a player that we would not have due to the Ess trade.

I guess we will not know if it was the right call for years down the track. Wc probably on the way to a P4-P8 is ina mid heavy draft..when it would be happy to have an extra pick. In a dream world ..how nice would it have been too have their pick, add our R1 and our Fr1 …and trade for Reid. Probably still not enough to get him while contracted.

Nah the extra pick from the bombers trade became mannagh.

Edwards was the sav pick.

Before we trade him maybe we give him a decent crack? And not pigeon hole him as a small forward.

He is contracted ..so obviously nothing will beyond the call of the club. ..and maybe he is totally happy working his way into the side. It was just a thought … that if he does not get chances , he might think that at 26 ..he should try to make afl chance happen

I know some have linked us to Yeo - but how much will the upcoming birth of their first child have on the decision of where he plays his football next year?

He may only have 2 or 3 years left - or less when you look at his recent injury history; 2019 was the last season he played 20+ games. The most his played in the last 4 completed seasons is 12

Thinking he's one we could almost put a line through

Would be a ridiculous waste of money for a guy that has no capacity to actually stay on the park.

Nah the extra pick from the bombers trade became mannagh.

Edwards was the sav pick.
Port wanted mannagh in the draft and tried to trade back in for him but we got in first.

Yes thanks for that.

Its all theoretical of course… but in a trade scenario ..make me wonder if Port would be someone we would happily deal with for him. Not exactly flush with picks and they do have this tendency to pick the flesh from our bones. Probaly gets down to his prefered destination and would he prefer a melb club. Listening to the northern coaches talk about ms trade ..they would all be for it IF they can compel players to destinations while under contract. That would change things.

Still early and if can play mid Mannagh should get games for us… its not as if he is trying to get into the gc midfield.

Talking gc …the way he has played , i have liked the kid Clohesy on our list, shame we did not take him with one of our picks. seemed an obvious pick for us.

I can see reid being worth picks 15+14+18 + assortment of seconds... But i cannot justify the idea if it was our club of handing over picks 2+3+5 + assortment of seconds..

There is only so much a player is worth. Prenierships are won by teams, not individuals then junk around them
Agree, but I reckon if you remove one player from Richmond’s three recent flags…they have none.

Would be a ridiculous waste of money for a guy that has no capacity to actually stay on the park.

This is reportedly the offer from Adelaide - even if slightly exaggerated, this seems an irresponsible amount of money for a guy who last played 20+ games in season back in 2019

Wonder how much of the offer from Adelaide is incentive based

This is reportedly the offer from Adelaide - even if slightly exaggerated, this seems an irresponsible amount of money for a guy who last played 20+ games in season back in 2019

It just goes to show how difficult landing any high-level player as an FA is and will be in the future.

The way the system is these days, clubs will offer overs... at least one.

As much as I'd love a quality FA or two in the next few years... I'm not holding my breath.

We should have plenty of cap room, I'm not sure how we will use it all though.

It just goes to show how difficult landing any high-level player as an FA is and will be in the future.

As much as I'd love a quality FA or two in the next few years... I'm not holding my breath.

limited supply. inflated costs. rfa versus ufa .. shows how getting Stengle was like winning tattslotto

Just to add. its probably time to starting liking your lips if you are the likes LDU. Bottom club , probably means North do not match.. he could be offered something eye watering. McLugguage? What would it take to move him?

But maybe thats going to be the case for anyone in demand.

I see it mentioned that Harley Reid might be getting 1.5M in his 4th year. Can you imagine what West Coast might offer him to sign a 10 year contract ..in between now and 2026. Id say somewhere in the range of 20M dollars is not unreasonable. It could be more. Whats the cap worth in 10 years time? How does one knock that back

The Adelaide offer is clearly a bit irresponsible (if true). But I'd be pretty comfortable offering him a 2 year deal on $700-750k.

Yes, that's still a lot of money for an injury prone player. But our midfield is a clear area of weakness and if we had him this year I'd be a lot more confident in our chances of a flag. It's a 2 year stop gap that keeps us in contention while we wait for either 1. Holmes or Bruhn to become A graders; or 2. gives us a bit more time to poach another genuine A grader via trade of FA from somewhere else.

I doubt he comes here for that though. I'd guess he'll either stay at WCE or leave for an offer like Adelaide's that is 3 years on more money.

Agree, but I reckon if you remove one player from Richmond’s three recent flags…they have none.
Disagree on that. I think richmonds success was based on a system and a complete player buy-in with roles perfecly tailored.

Martin was the cherry ontop.

I think there is a list management position to go all in on one star player, then there are times its probably not a great idea.

A side like hawthorn which has already heavily invested in youth and the draft probably would be ideal to throw tge sink at reid and skip a few drafts wont do much damage... Where as us i feel like it will be a situation very similar to judd trying to carry the load at carlton with crap around him if we sold off 3 years of draft capitol for 1 player.

Im more interested in developing an elite team as compared to chasing superstars for laughable over the top prices that damage your list

Disagree on that. I think richmonds success was based on a system and a complete player buy-in with roles perfecly tailored.

I think there is a list management position to go all in on one star player, then there are times its probably not a great idea.

A side like hawthorn which has already heavily invested in youth and the draft probably would be ideal to throw tge sink at reid and skip a few drafts wont do much damage... Where as us i feel like it will be a situation very similar to judd trying to carry the load at carlton with crap around him if we sold off 3 years of draft capitol for 1 player.

Im more interested in developing an elite team as compared to chasing superstars for laughable over the top prices that damage your list

I can understand your point... but us V Carlton …. Pre Judd. Carlton finished last in 2005, last in 2006 and second last in 2007. I think it would equate more to Norths position on the ladder …but North probably have a lot more kids in than Calton back then.

Its a bit of theoretical discussion ..but I feel bringing in Reid would be like Danger or Cameron.. and from that POV… all you really need to know is what does he do to your side, your club ..and does it make your more appealing. Would it mean other players would be even more enticed to come to the club. Yes It might mean you loose a number of r1 picks but if you can balance that with the odd Dempsey type ..or hopefully a Humpfries then all will be sweet.… the AFL might have to change their rules to enable that trade be done

In truth …when I watch him playing at WC..I see him enjoying himself.. and till I hear differently I don't see him going anywhere short term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was really impressed by Joe Pike on Saturday VFL game. Notice anlso talked up on draft sites. Assume that even if we have a season ending injury pre MS draft, he’s likely go early (?)

The way the MSD is …who knows who picks who. Yes he was impessive but like Ajang ..he is pretty un seasoned. If we had the chance Id love to add him.. as its preety obvious that Stanley will soon not be on our list.

limited supply. inflated costs. rfa versus ufa .. shows how getting Stengle was like winning tattslotto
How Stengle turned out was enormously contingent on having Eddie Betts on staff at the time. Kinda like Lotto but already having the numbers before the 'draw'!

Didn’t know where to post this. But Geelong has the most (tied) in top 40. Rated players under 22.

Fun fact: if you add Richmond and Hawthorn's youth together you get equal the number of top 40 talent on that list.

Fun fact 2: 50% of those players are rated below the lowest cat on that list

Edit: missed a Hawks player

Hawthorns first round picks over the last 5 years: 7

Geelongs first round picks over the last 5 years: 6

They're a poor example if you're trying to make the gap look large for mine.

Gold Coast would be the example you're looking for for a club who's already drafted everything and anything, and could probably afford to miss 4-5 drafts if they had to.

I can understand your point... but us V Carlton …. Pre Judd. Carlton finished last in 2005, last in 2006 and second last in 2007. I think it would equate more to Norths position on the ladder …but North probably have a lot more kids in than Calton back then.

Its a bit of theoretical discussion ..but I feel bringing in Reid would be like Danger or Cameron.. and from that POV… all you really need to know is what does he do to your side, your club ..and does it make your more appealing. Would it mean other players would be even more enticed to come to the club. Yes It might mean you loose a number of r1 picks but if you can balance that with the odd Dempsey type ..or hopefully a Humpfries then all will be sweet.… the AFL might have to change their rules to enable that trade be done

In truth …when I watch him playing at WC..I see him enjoying himself.. and till I hear differently I don't see him going anywhere short term.
good pov. It is a delicate balancing act i imagine factoring in both my pov and your own into things plus many other things.

I see building a premiership team when i look at recent winners is about the contribution of 22 players and also a squad with excellent depth as opposed to a handful of superstars carrying your side.

If we went all in for a star like reid, i would be all for it as long as we still have a plan in place to build a premiership quality list.

There is almost zero chance we say no to bringining in quality that wants to come to your club let alone reid... But you want to ensure the value you trade out isnt too detrimental to your premiership endeavours.

Its quite a detailed discussion around list management to balance these things and get it tight over the years

Hawthorns first round picks over the last 5 years: 7

Geelongs first round picks over the last 5 years: 6

They're a poor example if you're trying to make the gap look large for mine.

Gold Coast would be the example you're looking for for a club who's already drafted everything and anything, and could probably afford to miss 4-5 drafts if they had to.
Yep fair call. GCS a more appropriate example then

good pov. It is a delicate balancing act i imagine factoring in both my pov and your own into things plus many other things.

I see building a premiership team when i look at recent winners is about the contribution of 22 players and also a squad with excellent depth as opposed to a handful of superstars carrying your side.

If we went all in for a star like reid, i would be all for it as long as we still have a plan in place to build a premiership quality list.

There is almost zero chance we say no to bringining in quality that wants to come to your club let alone reid... But you want to ensure the value you trade out isnt too detrimental to your premiership endeavours.

Its quite a detailed discussion around list management to balance these things and get it tight over the years

You are correct it probably requires elements of both.. but id say its almost impossible to win a flag without those difference making super guns. If you are lucky they come from within but as shown by Ottens , Danger , cameron and others you often do not win without those guys.. but you can't purely rely on only those guys

The proverbial last nail…?

Tarryn Thomas charged over ‘harassing phone calls’ to ex​

Disgraced former North Melbourne footballer Tarryn Thomas has been charged by police over a series of allegedly harassing phone calls made to an ex-partner.

The proverbial last nail…?

Tarryn Thomas charged over ‘harassing phone calls’ to ex​

Disgraced former North Melbourne footballer Tarryn Thomas has been charged by police over a series of allegedly harassing phone calls made to an ex-partner.

Surely these latest charges all but put the line through Thomas potentially resurrecting his career - the repeated behaviour indicates someone who hasn't learnt from their previous indiscretions and almost an unwillingness to change

Remove this Banner Ad

Back