Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

It wasn't confirmed by the clubs, but yeah, I'd say it was... Think Cal T was also mentioning it at the time just as the draft started (was very late mail).

Also it was the reason Essendon had to trade up to get our pick because WC wanted it, and they wanted the same players.

It ended up getting us the extra pick that turned into Mannagh.

Better than nothing I guess.

We wanted COS + that bonus pick over West Coast's R1 this year.

I thought it was Edwards …but no matter we picked up a player that we would not have due to the Ess trade.

I guess we will not know if it was the right call for years down the track. Wc probably on the way to a P4-P8 is ina mid heavy draft..when it would be happy to have an extra pick. In a dream world ..how nice would it have been too have their pick, add our R1 and our Fr1 …and trade for Reid. Probably still not enough to get him while contracted.

Last edited:
They should have not won in their last game of the year and they'd have Reid + McKercher.

I would have been dirty as if I was a North fan winning that R23 nothing game.

It gifted the most lock stock sure thing Superstar to another club.

Ahhh I guess that win has really helped them this year though... So maybe winning it was a good move.
99 times out 100 … you do the right thing trying to put 100% effort to win… but yes I bet they are bleeding for that quickly gone temp triumph.

Last edited:
I can see reid being worth picks 15+14+18 + assortment of seconds... But i cannot justify the idea if it was our club of handing over picks 2+3+5 + assortment of seconds..

There is only so much a player is worth. Prenierships are won by teams, not individuals then junk around them
We're already building a team for the future though, and it's a very good one.

What we lack is that absolute top liner. Not an A-grader, as I believe all of COS, Clark, Holmes, Conway, & Henry will get there.

SDK, Bruhn, & Dempsey are maybes at this stage, although I do believe they'll still be very good long term.

The level above A-grade, the Dangerfield, Fyfe, Martin, Petracca type who's just a different beast come finals time, and even in very good sides, is single-handedly the difference when it matters.

I think we've got a bunch of young players already who could end up top 20-50 in the competition at their peak

What we don't have right now for mine is the non negotiable, top 5-10 player in the game, and that's understandable given how hard they are to come by.

If we've got the chance to get Reid, you take it. He's so young that you could afford to struggle to bring in quality for a couple years anyway, like what Port have done with JHF.

I thought it was Edwards …but no matter we picked up a player that we would not have due to the Ess trade.

I guess we will not know if it was the right call for years down the track. Wc probably on the way to a P4-P8 is ina mid heavy draft..when it would be happy to have an extra pick. In a dream world ..how nice would it have been too have their pick, add our R1 and our Fr1 …and trade for Reid. Probably still not enough to get him while contracted.
Certain it was mannagh we got from that trade with Essendon. Edwards came from the Sav trade

One might say Premiership are won by teams…but no Premiership team has 22 players all paid the same… and how tehy get to the club is all different. Its a matter for the destination club to work out just how close they want to shave.

Easy in hindsight …but right now would..if you could… go back in time and agree to trade P2 and P3 for P1. McKercher and Duursma?

In truth , you could say players like Reid are so rare… that trading 3 r1 picks , no matter the position, is probably do able ..because of the way he has performed. He is the highest price spice you could add. It would require a very good knowledge of the draft and a lot of luck.
I would do pick 2+3 for reid depending on the value of picks 2 and 3.

What i would be hesitant to do is destroy 3 years of drafr capitol to get it done, the scenario you just posed is only one draft.

I would want a plan to creep back up the drafr boards a little or a list of free agents or trades up our sleeves to hand over 3x1sts plus probably 2nd rounders for reid.

You are essentially wiping yourself out of any meaningful draft haul for 3 seasons.

Would you be keen?? I am on the fence giving up potentially that much.

You dont want a chris judd at carlton scenario.

We're already building a team for the future though, and it's a very good one.

What we lack is that absolute top liner. Not an A-grader, as I believe all of COS, Clark, Holmes, Conway, & Henry will get there.

SDK, Bruhn, & Dempsey are maybes at this stage, although I do believe they'll still be very good long term.

The level above A-grade, the Dangerfield, Fyfe, Martin, Petracca type who's just a different beast come finals time, and even in very good sides, is single-handedly the difference when it matters.

I think we've got a bunch of young players already who could end up top 20-50 in the competition at their peak

What we don't have right now for mine is the non negotiable, top 5-10 player in the game, and that's understandable given how hard they are to come by.

If we've got the chance to get Reid, you take it. He's so young that you could afford to struggle to bring in quality for a couple years anyway, like what Port have done with JHF.
Love your optimism, but idk if we have enough young talent to say that is the missing piece. In the next few years we will need to replace:

Dangerfield, duncan, hawkins, tuohy, stanley, blicavs, guthrie, cameron, kolo, rohan.

What is in the reserves is not sufficient to cover that by any stretch.

I am all for pursuing Reid ( everyone seems to think he wants to come back with no proof) but i am cautious of avoiding a decade of a judd wasted at carlton type career playing out.

Certain it was mannagh we got from that trade with Essendon. Edwards came from the Sav trade

Yep fair enough… just must have remembered it wrong for some reason.

On Mannagh … does he hang in there long term at Geelong if he does get a regular spot. Id think there would several sides that probably could find a spot for him.

On Mannagh … does he hang in there long term at Geelong if he does get a regular spot. Id think there would several sides that probably could find a spot for him.
Yeah I'd be thinking about a side like Port or Carlton if I was mannagh

I would do pick 2+3 for reid depending on the value of picks 2 and 3.

What i would be hesitant to do is destroy 3 years of drafr capitol to get it done, the scenario you just posed is only one draft.

I would want a plan to creep back up the drafr boards a little or a list of free agents or trades up our sleeves to hand over 3x1sts plus probably 2nd rounders for reid.

You are essentially wiping yourself out of any meaningful draft haul for 3 seasons.

Would you be keen?? I am on the fence giving up potentially that much.

You dont want a chris judd at carlton scenario.

Would I be keen? Would I do it? Thats the choice and its easy form our cheap seats. WE can say yes or no or whatever. My guess is there was hestiantncy about traing 2 R1 picks for Ottens…and trading what we did for Danger. The picks we traded for Cameron upset the apple cart at the time but has been proven to be a good trade for us.

What id be prepared to trade …at some time down the track would pend on several issues. If we knew for example that we could get him next year … the our R1 ..may not be as critical depending possible NGA’s coming thru. Who knows. Its a long way down the track and at this stage I would not rule anything out. If the side was pretty much rebuilt and had a good age profile… then draining several drafts probably is not as concerning … especially in this era of FA and our ability to find the odd bargain late.

Very good point on clubs wanting Mannagh... His at that age where he has to make the best choice in playing and money.. There be plenty of clubs be wanting him...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love that Lloyd on Footy Classified said we really should go to the draft and bring in gun mids, and says we haven't used a low pick on a midfielder since Joel or Nakia...

What did we do last year again?
Well COS was an 11 and cocky was a 10.

Completely missed Clark though

Well COS was an 11 and cocky was a 10.

Completely missed Clark though
Lloyd gets away with so much misinformation it's not funny, while the likes of Cornes, Barrett etc are the ones who get the receipts thrown at them.

You know how the AFL produces those documentaries for the premier? There's multiple Matthew Lloyd sound bites in all of them, dating back to that Richmond one in 2018.

"They're kidding themselves if they think they can win a premiership with this list"

"Massive concerns here, they're looking at rebuild that might take 5,6,7 years"

Stuff like that, and it's hardly a Geelong thing either, it's just something I've take notice of.

It's any club outside of Essendon, where he's just woefully off the mark time and time again.

Much will depend of course whether we go after a mature aged mid which will almost certainly require our R1 to be used.

If not, probably a little early now to be predicting where our draft position will be but you’d think the likes of Hotton or Lalor will come into consideration. If we continue to drop ladder position throughout the season then others will open up. Moraes is one I’d be keen on if available.

Any idea how Hotton did his knee? Watching some of his highlights.. he is light framed but agile and quite often seemed to stop dead and wrong foot opponents. Would surprise me if he did a netball type knee. He is a very nice type ..not sure if he would solve our mid issue but would be hard to pass on… but who really knows what pick we have. Probably anything after 15 is bargain for him

Love that Lloyd on Footy Classified said we really should go to the draft and bring in gun mids, and says we haven't used a low pick on a midfielder since Joel or Nakia...

What did we do last year again?

There is no denying that we not have a single figure pick since JoelS that we have earned thru ladder finishes. The question is … will we have something like the pick we had to get COS? Have to wait and see.

On whether we should trade the pick out or use it? Smith is not old.. and one would have to compare him to who we likely get. Its not like every pick gathers a Harely Reid. Having said that ..id be quite happy to chuck a truck load at a FA Lugguage (if he wanted to come) and keep our R1. The top 10 to 15 looks pretty handy.

Hi All - Had the pleasure of meeting Lawson Humpries today - very impressive young man
I quizzed him on his natural foot and he told me he was right footed. He said any shot at goal or kick is driven by the angle, wher the pressure is coming from, which foot he needs to be balanced on etc.
I asked him if he was 40 out and directly in front, what would be his choice - he said that it would probably be right (natural foot) - Although he added that if he was further out then he would probably switch to his left as he feels he is slighly less cooridinated and as a result the leg swings more and he gets more distance.
Look forward to his debut in the not too distant future

Lloyd gets away with so much misinformation it's not funny, while the likes of Cornes, Barrett etc are the ones who get the receipts thrown at them.

You know how the AFL produces those documentaries for the premier? There's multiple Matthew Lloyd sound bites in all of them, dating back to that Richmond one in 2018.

"They're kidding themselves if they think they can win a premiership with this list"

"Massive concerns here, they're looking at rebuild that might take 5,6,7 years"

Stuff like that, and it's hardly a Geelong thing either, it's just something I've take notice of.

It's any club outside of Essendon, where he's just woefully off the mark time and time again.
He's not the worst though. He's not Kane Cornes.

Any idea how Hotton did his knee? Watching some of his highlights.. he is light framed but agile and quite often seemed to stop dead and wrong foot opponents. Would surprise me if he did a netball type knee. He is a very nice type ..not sure if he would solve our mid issue but would be hard to pass on… but who really knows what pick we have. Probably anything after 15 is bargain for him

Apparently was running and there was uneven turf that caused it to buckle. Not an impact injury so makes you slightly concerned with how it happened.

Terrific kid with lots of talent. Will use the next 12 months to bulk up so not all bad.

Apparently was running and there was uneven turf that caused it to buckle. Not an impact injury so makes you slightly concerned with how it happened.

Terrific kid with lots of talent. Will use the next 12 months to bulk up so not all bad.

LikenI said, like him. He is something like a Penddles or even a Flower. He creates and assists more than being a burst bull but one would think if he handles the bigger bodies he could be very creative at the top level.

There is several I like the look of though.. so id not narrow it to one player at this stage

Hi All - Had the pleasure of meeting Lawson Humpries today - very impressive young man
I quizzed him on his natural foot and he told me he was right footed. He said any shot at goal or kick is driven by the angle, wher the pressure is coming from, which foot he needs to be balanced on etc.
I asked him if he was 40 out and directly in front, what would be his choice - he said that it would probably be right (natural foot) - Although he added that if he was further out then he would probably switch to his left as he feels he is slighly less cooridinated and as a result the leg swings more and he gets more distance.
Get this man in the side ASAP

Makes sense. I think the best duel sided players are Right Handed.

Was really impressed by Joe Pike on Saturday VFL game. Notice anlso talked up on draft sites. Assume that even if we have a season ending injury pre MS draft, he’s likely go early (?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back