Moneyball:

Macrae
Will Brodie
Battle

The “I can change him”:

Tarryn Thomas

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Ah yes, the old 'I can fix him/her'.

A favourite of aspiring psychologists in their high school & uni days. God knows I've been there.

In all seriousness though, even if you're right, I doubt TT is even cleared now.

And even if he was, I'd say it's a 2026 proposition rather than 2025.

The AFL values protecting the 'brand' over anything else. It doesn't actually mean they care, they just care about what it looks like.

Ah yes, the old 'I can fix him/her'.

A favourite of aspiring psychologists in their high school & uni days. God knows I've been there.

In all seriousness though, even if you're right, I doubt TT is even cleared now.

And even if he was, I'd say it's a 2026 proposition rather than 2025.

The AFL values protecting the 'brand' over anything else. It doesn't actually mean they care, they just care about what it looks like.
He will never play at AFL level again just too much of a risk espically with the women team around the PR alone is a nightmare and he’s not that skilled to be worth the risk let alone how many chances he has had.

Big fat nope

He will never play at AFL level again just too much of a risk espically with the women team around the PR alone is a nightmare and he’s not that skilled to be worth the risk let alone how many chances he has had.

Big fat nope
Oh I agree, just floating that even if they think they can get him right like the post references, it's unlikely to eventuate regardless.

Tarryn could turn his life around completely and still never play football again.

The situation is that dire, as it probably should be.

Oh I agree, just floating that even if they think they can get him right, it's unlikely to eventuate regardless.

Tarryn could turn his life around completely and still never play football again.

The situation is that dire, as it probably should be.
It’s dire for him you can see where he is going to end up eventually

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but that 1000 yard stare he had on the bench after being subbed off didn't look good.

It looked like a guy contemplating his football mortality.

If this was a movie, and you needed the scene to say "maybe I just don't have it anymore" that would be it.
That was the look! There had been a few other body language things the last few weeks too, but that capped it off.

I hope he finds some form, or if he has made the decision, maybe we send him off mid year? I know it sounds silly but we aren't guaranteed to have every quality veteran make it to 34. Injuries and such can make that 31.

Would take a long deal or big money to move Yeo out of WA. Not worth it imo
By all accounts has about to or had a baby in his family and plus he's been very sketchy health-wise, not played a lot in the last few years. Too big a risk given he's already 30/31.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A month ago, I felt we had so much depth, but how things have changed. A couple of injuries have left us as possibly the second-worst side in the league. Our older players are becoming much more injury-prone, which unsettles the side. The team needs rejuvenation.

Geelong must stop gifting games to our older players in the hope they find form. I would rather see the younger players get game time to prove their capabilities.

We keep talking about the potential of the younger players coming through, but that is this no different from what all of the other sides think? Are our younger players actually that good in comparison to other sides? The chances of a good trade haul look bleak.

"Example Gold Coast have two first rounds and an end of first-round, as well as two second-round picks in this year’s national draft. That would be a complete rebuild at the top end for us just there.
We are happy to take the scraps off the Gold Coast team.

Geelong is being challenged and their future direction will be interesting.

Last edited:
A month ago, I felt we had so much depth, but how things have changed. A couple of injuries have left us as possibly the second-worst side in the league. Our older players are becoming much more injury-prone, which unsettles the side. The team needs rejuvenation.

Geelong must stop gifting games to our older players in the hope they find form. I would rather see the younger players get game time to prove their capabilities.

We keep talking about the potential of the younger players coming through, but is this NO DIFFERENT TO OTHER SIDES? The chances of a good trade haul look bleak. "They have two first rounds and an end of first-round, as well as two second-round picks in this year’s national draft.

Baby, meet bathwater. You're both thrown out.

FWIW there's bits in here that I agree with that if we tinker with, can improve our season. But it was smothered in layers of doomsday and hyperbole at the same time. We shouldn't have a bleaker view of kids or depth just because a bunch of veterans have had a horrendous few weeks. The ones we know it'll be difficult to have a soft landing from when they are no longer high performers, or gone completely.

The side is starting to be rejuvenated, with the management of veterans being one method to give younger players games. If they play well enough like Dempsey, or we rate them highly enough like Clark, they will get more extended runs in the side. We are reaching the stage where Tuohy, Rohan and perhaps Cam Guthrie should be considered back up only. With a couple of others put on notice if they don't help steer the shift to safety over the next few weeks.

There's plenty to ponder but nothing worth melting down about at this stage. The Port loss at home was a horrendous gaffe, otherwise we would still be sitting quite nicely. Melbourne at the G and Gold Coast in NT are tough assignments. We really dropped our bundle for one of them.

Last edited:
Stevens... he hasn't played much game time in the midfield in the VFL for some reason

If you remember back when SamDek was playing in the vfl… he played a lot in the ruck. I suspect its just part of gaining experience , becoming flexible to broaden his selcectability.

IMO, It will get down to him showing what he can do in his running times as much as anything. He looks lighter and fitter than last year… time will tell if he up to it.

So what would you do for ruck department next season?

For me id trade in moyle if hes willing to come.
Yes hes probably not the best fit in tandem long term but hes more ready than conway now and you can always trade moyle in 2-3 years again if conway overtakes him. He will be a good get.

Failing that theres a few options
Ladhams will no doubt move again-off field issues are the thing with him so geelong might steer clear but the talent is there.
Turbo knows ive always been a nick bryan fan and he would be very gettable.
Reidy will leave freo and will be cheap and would be a decent ready to go backup option for us.
I wouldnt be against ROB if he came back east and was cheap enough. Age wise hed give us 2-3 years of solid output and then retire as conway is hitting his peak.

I actually rate visinteni (port) but hes not quite as ready as we want. Ditto max heath at st kilds whos a decent developing option.

Id kick the tyres on bailey williams if he wants to come back east and try to play finals (although wce just probably overpay to keep him). His flexibility to play ruck or forward would fit well with conway.
Funnily enough id also take english if he was willing to come for 3-4 years on mid level money-but he will want too many years and $ for a guy with concussion issues.

Id love to get an absolute top line ruck but they are scarce and hard to get.
However any of these guys in 2025 would be better than just conway and a 34yo blitz so we should do it at the right price. Obviously theres the option to do not a lot this off season and target de koning hard next year but id rather wr make a move now.

Maybe so.
All i said was inquires were made.
We'll just let it all play out PO.

I believe you on that im just telling you battles dad and family are massive hawks fans and they are throwing big cash at him it will be there or saints.
We did chase duggan in the kelly deal and again when he was last ooc but now hes 28 and captain i doubt he goes.

We keep talking about the potential of the younger players coming through, but that is this no different from what all of the other sides think? Are our younger players actually that good in comparison to other sides?

The chances of a good trade haul look bleak.

"Example Gold Coast have two first rounds and an end of first-round, as well as two second-round picks in this year’s national draft. That would be a complete rebuild at the top end for us just there.

Can I seperate the two observations?

Are our younger players actually that good in comparison to other sides?
Id say , as in most judgmental things, its in the eye of the judge. We dont have a truck load of early pick kids…. so therefore our young kids must be no good…. Id say its been shown many times that the system and talent play a role. We have some on our list that will fall short and others that might be very good. I feel we lack options with our taller players atm. , so we have to find a way to add to that. We add mids every year ..and they are easier to trade in if our picks fall short.

The chances of a good trade haul look bleak.

Its very early. Lets see what picks we have for starters. We are months away from that. Can we get a real early mid kid this year? I guess we just have to wait and see what picks we have afert all the trades are done.

Gold Coast have three R1 picks but I suspect they will either trade them to get in even better players, trade them for points or trade them into next year. They have a stream of players coming… and what they took last year will not be the last of the academy talent they add. They have been linked to trading for Riolli ..so that probably sees one or two for the R1’s end up at Richmond.

Yes hes probably not the best fit in tandem long term but hes more ready than conway now and you can always trade moyle in 2-3 years again if conway overtakes him. He will be a good get.

Ladhams will no doubt move again-off field issues are the thing with him so geelong might steer clear but the talent is there.
Reidy will leave freo and will be cheap and would be a decent ready to go backup option for us.
I wouldnt be against ROB if he came back east and was cheap enough. Age wise hed give us 2-3 years of solid output and then retire as conway is hitting his peak.

I actually rate visinteni (port) but hes not quite as ready as we want. Ditto max heath at st kilds whos a decent developing option.

Id kick the tyres on bailey williams if he wants to come back east and try to play finals (although wce just probably overpay to keep him). His flexibility to play ruck or forward would fit well with conway.
Funnily enough id also take english if he was willing to come for 3-4 years on mid level money-but he will want too many years and $ for a guy with concussion issues.

However any of these guys in 2025 would be better than just conway and a 34yo blitz so we should do it at the right price. Obviously theres the option to do not a lot this off season and target de koning hard next year but id rather wr make a move now.

I see GWS have another a ruck kid coming thru their academy. Shame we could have ping at Madden but he has just signed.

I look forward to having a look at Pike today.

ANOTHER GIANTS BIG MAN ON THE WAY?​

GREATER Western Sydney Academy prospect Logan Smith is shaping as one of the first northern Academy players picked in this year's draft after a dominant start to the season.

The 204cm ruckman is a member of the Giants Academy and this week was selected in the Allies squad for the mid-year under-18 championships.

His form for the Giants in their Coates Talent League performances stood out to rival recruiters, with Smith playing three games and averaging 18 disposals and 27 hitouts.

His best performance came in round six against the Murray Bushrangers, when he had 24 disposals, eight clearances and 22 hitouts.

The Giants will get first access to him through their Academy but his progress is seeing clubs view him as one of the best ruckmen in the draft pool.

Greater Western Sydney has had success from its Academy with a run of ruckmen, including current No.1 big man Kieren Briggs and developing talent Nick Madden, who recently re-signed for two more years but has strung together a run of impressive VFL form. – Callum Twomey

Last edited:
I believe you on that im just telling you battles dad and family are massive hawks fans and they are throwing big cash at him it will be there or saints.
We did chase duggan in the kelly deal and again when he was last ooc but now hes 28 and captain i doubt he goes.

Its not such a bad thing. Players going to a club cause they were big fans as kids… sort of shows its not 100% sterile yet.

IF we added Battle im not sure what role he would play for us but he would be handy.

Don't mind this kid with our 2nd if we have it

What pick do we have. Looks handy. There is a lot of talented kids around. Hard to judge them at that Coates League level … but my bet is North add Smile. The kid is making those around him look small an under whelming.

What pick do we have. Looks handy. There is a lot of talented kids around. Hard to judge them at that Coates League level … but my bet is North add Smile. The kid is making those around him look small an under whelming.
Yeah gotta wait for the champs but I'm feeling a lot better about this draft than last.

Thanks for your reply..
Me personally I'd be in to get a back up ruck eg like Ladhams or Reidy etc like the names you mentioned, that could play 10-12 games ( if needed) if Conway is injured. Plus it also allows Edwards to get games in the VFL.
You would hope by start of next season that Conway is ready to play a full season ( baring injuries )
And you would hope guys like Ladhams or Reidy etc could would even put pressure on Conway as competition is great for sports..

Now with Furphy, if he turns out to become a good player that's great , but in reality it's probably less than 15% chance he makes it...
Hopefully we trial him as Full Forward, as he has the size of Hawkins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back