Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

When you say inside mids what are you thinking of?

My issue (which maybe the same) is that we have the same type of players going through there. No pace or explosion in the mix (when danger not playing which is most of the time). Adelaide and Essendon had the same problem but have made bold decisions in season (with the same list) to change it up. They have moved or left out some very reputable players (shields, laird etc) as they were same paced. And bought in some skill and explosion.

Our staples are Bruhn, Atkins, parfait, Bowes, Clark, Guthrie. All variations of the same type of player. Then moc and blitz and Duncan and sometime 2E go through but again all one paced. we get beaten for reaction time and speed out the back of the stoppage.

Once the game was lost we saw Holmes Miers and Mullin go through and I thought we went from badly losing to breaking even (or losing less!).

For us to advance in the future and frankly in 2024 I think we need to have either these 3 or players like them more permanently in the rotation. We can backfill Miers (Dempsey forward, close, mannagh) and Holmes (Mullin, wiltchire, Atkins) so I would hope they consider permanent move in the middle.

To do that though they need to leave out (or move to another position) I reckon 3 of the current mids (given danger will come back). Not sure Tanner can play another position and I think he and maybe Bowes are the ones we want to invest more in? So Parf, Atkins, Guthrie I think need to be re thought - which is harsh on all of them maybe….but
Yeah I should clarify I mean someone with power and breakaway pace rather than what we've got.

We've got done good two way running mids who can be your 2nd or 3rd best, but we don't have that power player that oppo has to think about when it's in dispute

I reckon Bailey Smith can become an Inside Mid.

We have the wrecking ball George Stevens on the list... I think he will be a quick developer by next season given his size.
Bailey Smith is the kind of player we need but I'm certain big George doesn't make it

Much will depend of course whether we go after a mature aged mid which will almost certainly require our R1 to be used.

If not, probably a little early now to be predicting where our draft position will be but you’d think the likes of Hotton or Lalor will come into consideration. If we continue to drop ladder position throughout the season then others will open up. Moraes is one I’d be keen on if available.

Yes ..too early to narrowing it down to individuals really. Just the idea that if we rate this draft , then trading out of next years into this years does give us a chance to get said quality mids. There is going to be names popping…like the unprouncable kid from the jets..

Last edited:
Yeah I should clarify I mean someone with power and breakaway pace rather than what we've got.

We've got done good two way running mids who can be your 2nd or 3rd best, but we don't have that power player that oppo has to think about when it's in dispute
Are they actually good enough though? I see Bruhn and Bowes as more attacking.

Our defensive/contested mids are probably Atkins, Parfitt and Blicavs. Guthrie used to be two-way, but now he's charcoal.

It's all well and good to demand jets, but we actually need our grunt players/bulls to be of a higher standard to release it to them.

By comparison, Suns have Rowell and Miller as their bulls (they're strong, they're not super quick) who run both ways, while Anderson and Flanders are more burst players who break to the outside.

one of the reason why we been able to stay competitive for good 20 years without constant father sons and NGA picks are we able to sign big time FA like dangerfield and cameron. that in itself set us apart from richmond and hawthorn who went and got good to very good players via trading. i wouldnt be surprise the club has identiify targets and been working on it for couple of years. most likely someone from the area

arh…. like we paid in picks for Danger and Cameron …while. Tigers got Lynch for free. Yes the traded for some players… but I think there might be some other issues like who they traded for and if those trades panned out. Tigers really need 100 games out of Taranto and Hopper..or they really, really over paid.

Hope your right. Be handy to find another Dempsey somewhere hidden playing local footy.

If you're bringing in a 21 year old like Perkins that's fine but I'm not sure we're in the list development stage to go hard at traded in mids unless they're genuine superstars.

I think we need to take our medicine a bit and get guys like Conway, Clark, Bruhn and Dempsey another 40 games and see where we're at.

I think we like to take our medicine with a spoonful of sugar that a gun player can add.

Yeah I just don't think any cheap back up option is materially better than rucking what we have

A carbon rod is essentially better than rucking stanley at this point.
I understand your point but chasing a moyle or bryan or someone elses backup ruck last year would have been far better than what we have this year.

Our defensive/contested mids are probably Atkins, Parfitt and Blicavs. Guthrie used to be two-way, but now he's charcoal.

It's all well and good to demand jets, but we actually need our grunt players/bulls to be of a higher standard to release it to them.

By comparison, Suns have Rowell and Miller as their bulls (they're strong, they're not super quick) who run both ways, while Anderson and Flanders are more burst players who break to the outside.
Yeah Bowes better on the attack but I think he ends up back at half back. Bruhn yeah but I think he's more attacking because no one else is. Either way they feel a bit samey

Maybe I'm partly guilty of moulding the problem to my chosen solution in my head.

Yeah Bowes better on the attack but I think he ends up back at half back. Bruhn yeah but I think he's more attacking because no one else is. Either way they feel a bit samey

Maybe I'm partly guilty of moulding the problem to my chosen solution in my head.
Fair enough. I guess the question is, would a midfield work better with a Smith/McLuggage/Perkins (jet) type joining Bowes and Bruhn? Or a Rowell/Serong (bull) type? I actually think the latter might be better (I'm using "type", I'm not suggesting we can pluck Rowell!). For pace, pace, pace we have Holmes and Mullin who will keep getting better. But we don't have the heavy artillery tanks who simply bulldoze their way through congestion to release it to silky outside players.

But the question is, which big bodied contested beasts will even be available? Does LDU count? Do we need to draft the next Cripps/Oliver somehow?

So this is the big question for me. More for 2024 than future…is he cooked or are we being impatient and we will find him back to his best for our run to finals.

I suspect club will not die wondering and will give him every shot (maybe at expense of Parf and Atkins?).

If he is cooked then we want to know by round 18 at the latest

He was better than i thought but he cant back up week to week and given the time big guys take he wont be at his peak until 2027/8 and dangerfield and cameron will be gone by then. We needed a ruck to match our window not one for 4 years from now. And we have been stubborn about not addressing it.
So what would you do for ruck department next season?

So this is the big question for me. More for 2024 than future…is he cooked or are we being impatient and we will find him back to his best for our run to finals.

I suspect club will not die wondering and will give him every shot (maybe at expense of Parf and Atkins?).

If he is cooked then we want to know by round 18 at the latest
I might be impatient, but it isn't just how he looks physically. Mentally the past 3 weeks at times it looks like he's actually weighing up if the game has gone past him.

Duncan might have his horror moments but there's no doubt he has that belief still and rides out games. Cam has a bit of a "broken man" look about him currently. Maybe he does just need a couple of games in the magoos?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are the other options is my next question.
A process of elimination of sorts.
Hugh McG? Not an inside bull. Again 1-1.2 mil per to pry out?
LDU ?? Not and inside Mid. Plus plenty of coin.

Left of centre options.

Can Zurhaar. 26yo 191/90kgs can he play inside? I think so. Motivation needed here IMO.
Ben Keays. 27yo bigger than our mids but not a Big Bull. underrated by plenty. We asked the question years ago.
Isaac Cumming. 25yo 188/85 ?? Playing in a deep midfield contingent. Jury out 4me.
Connor Nash. 25 198/94 ?? Love this guy. A better version of 2E ? Has plenty of upside. Big bastard.

Whisper of sorts.
Josh Battle from Saints. Inquires have been made. Decent defender only 25yo. Free Agent.
Liam Duggan again inquires have been made. Top 5 in the B&F 3 outta 4 years. Leader. Great addition for a team in transition?? Again a Free Agent.

Then of course there is Bailey SMITH.
Not an inside mid but would be a walk up start on the wing/pitch when the ball is bounced.
Are your sources still saying Bailey is on his way down the highway 🛣?

I'd prefer to get Kuol Mun than a cheap mature backup ruck.

If we're looking for depth Rory Lobb is probably the best option. Gives us cover both as key forward and ruck and would cost nothing if we took on most of his contract. Not sure he'd be happy to move without being a key part of a team's plans going forward though.
How old is Kuol Mun

Fair enough. I guess the question is, would a midfield work better with a Smith/McLuggage/Perkins (jet) type joining Bowes and Bruhn? Or a Rowell/Serong (bull) type? I actually think the latter might be better (I'm using "type", I'm not suggesting we can pluck Rowell!). For pace, pace, pace we have Holmes and Mullin who will keep getting better. But we don't have the heavy artillery tanks who simply bulldoze their way through congestion to release it to silky outside players.

But the question is, which big bodied contested beasts will even be available? Does LDU count? Do we need to draft the next Cripps/Oliver somehow?
Tbh I'm up for trying anything. Smith? LDU? Tarryn Thomas?

Chad Warner.... Its time to bring the boy home back to Geelong

This is a list of players I'd like us to chase:

S-tier:

Bailey Smith
McCluggage
LDU
Duggan

High potential guns not getting a full run:

Davies
Sheldrick
Peatling

Moneyball:

Macrae
Will Brodie
Battle

The “I can change him”:

Tarryn Thomas

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I might be impatient, but it isn't just how he looks physically. Mentally the past 3 weeks at times it looks like he's actually weighing up if the game has gone past him.

Duncan might have his horror moments but there's no doubt he has that belief still and rides out games. Cam has a bit of a "broken man" look about him currently. Maybe he does just need a couple of games in the magoos?
Maybe I'm overthinking it, but that 1000 yard stare he had on the bench after being subbed off didn't look good.

It looked like a guy contemplating his football mortality.

If this was a movie, and you needed the scene to say "maybe I just don't have it anymore" that would be it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back